gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > Technical Issues

Technical Issues For bug reports, problem solving, and help running Japanese software.

Closed Thread

Old 2004-03-01, 15:02
Local

Default Guide To Installing The Voice Patch

Installing The Kanon Voice Patch & Translation
The Dreamcast version of Kanon includes full voice acting for each of the game's characters with the exeption of the protagonist. These voices are in Japanese, but those of us who don't understand Japanese could still understand the emotions of each character by hearing the way they speak. Thankfully, there is an unofficial Kanon voice patch that is able to copy the sound files from the Dreamcast version to your PC version. Because there are no instructions on how to do this, I've written a guide showing you how to do it.

Requirements:You should use a fresh new installation of Kanon (no other patches installed). If Kanon is already installed with any other patches, then back up your saved games (save.ini), remove the Kanon folder, and install Kanon again.

First of all, you need to extract the voice files from your Dreamcast version of Kanon. I'm not sure how to do this, but I believe it has something to do with connecting a Dreamcast to your PC. If you don't have Kanon for Dreamcast, you must find a place to download the voice files over the internet. Regardless of how you get them, you should now have a set of AFS files on your hard drive. These files take around 300 megabytes of hard drive space.

Create a new folder somewhere and call it vAVG32. Create a new folder inside that folder and call it vkanon. Move or copy the AFS files to vkanon. You will be using a program to rip and convert sound files from the AFS files, so you should have 679 megabytes of hard drive space if you want to create the same medium-quality sound files that I made (160kbps MP3 Format .WAV files).

Download vAVG32, extract it to vAVG32, then download Haeleth's vAVG32e and extract it to the same folder, overwriting the file vAVG32.ini. Run vAVG32e.exe and select the version of Kanon that you have installed. If you want to keep the protagonist's name as Yuuichi, then go ahead and select the one that has Yuuichi at the end of the title, otherwise select the one that says Not Yuuichi. Select the folder that you have installed Kanon at, and press the Install voices button. Choose a sound quality but remember that a higher quality will take up more hard drive space. I used 160kbps and MP3 compression option which required 679 megabytes and a certain gogo.dll which I will show you where to get. For Voice folder, choose the vkanon folder that you made, then press Start.

To get a copy of gogo.dll, you can either find it through google, or download one at this list of somewhat rare mp3 related files. You can find it near the bottom of the page listed as GoGo-no-coda 3.13 bundle. The website is: http://www.rarewares.org/mp3.html

When that is done, go back to the main menu in vAVG32e.exe. DO NOT check the Compress scenario file option. Press the Patch scenario button, and when it is done, exit the program. Test the game to make sure that the voices are installed: start a new game even if you can't read Japanese, it shouldn't be too long before you can hear Nayuki's voice. If the voices don't work, then something must have went wrong and I can't help you with that. The voice patch should now be succesfully installed.

Download the proper files for Kanon: a translation. Remember that you need to extract the main patch program and the additional voice patch compatibility files to the same folder. The Kanon: a translation installation should auto-detect that the voice patch is installed and attempt to install itself along-side the voice patch.
Old 2004-03-01, 15:10
Local

Default Let this be a Sticky

Please let this post be a forum sticky. I think I explained it very well. If I have any information wrong then please let me know so that I can edit my post. I also need additional information on how the voices are extracted from the dreamcast game.
Old 2004-03-01, 23:34
Obsessive

To extract the voice files, you just need to point the ripper to where the AFS files are (all 11 files). You don't actualy need to copy the files to the HD (as far as I know). Unless you downloaded the voice patch, and in that case it will only be on the HD.

<strike>Also I think (not very sure) that you MUST run the game before applying the Translation patch. I think the default SAVE.INI file will not be created until you run the game utless once, and that once have to be in Japaness. (The translation patch will attempt to translate the SAVE.INI file as well, so how can it translate it, if it is not there???).

Now that I think about it, am not sure if the Voice Patch required the SAVE.INI or not. Just to be safe,
1- Fresh installation.
2- Run game, then exit (for the sake of creating the SAVE.INI file)
3- Apply voice patch
4- Run game for testing (to hear Nayuki's voice)
5- Apply Translation patch.</strike>

P.S. Just incase people forget to say it. "Thanks for the guid"

UPDATE: Sorry about that, just tested a fresh installation, and I made a mistake, you do NOT need to run the game in japaness before installing the translation. Sorry about that.
Old 2004-03-03, 11:47
Ex-boss

Regarding the translation's failure to detect a compressed voice patch, I'll fix that in the next release.

I'm a bit surprised if the translation requires a SAVE.INI to be there, as I don't recall making that compulsory. ^^; The SAVE.INI generated by the translated game if you run it without one present should be identical to the "translated" SAVE.INI produced by the installer, so if the installer is failing when there isn't one present then that's another bug in the installer.
Old 2004-03-04, 18:18
Slaimus

I got a vkanon that has an option for MP3 format for the extracted sound files, but it is grayed out. It would save a good amount of disk space compared to raw pcm. Anyone figured out how to get that to work? Or is it only supported by Air's newer AVG?
Old 2004-03-04, 21:24
Slaimus

Apprently you can do it manually. Using CDex, the raw PCM WAVs have converted to MP3 WAVs, and AVG plays it back just as well. 1/10 the file size for voice :)
Old 2004-03-05, 05:02
Visitor

When I try to install the voice patch, I can install the voices fine, but when I try to patch scenario, I get an error message that says "kanon-y.txt not found". Obviously, I need to do this step, though, because, when I play the game, there are no voices. There is a kanon-y.txt file in the Japanese vAVG32 zip that JudicatorOmega posted, but I don't know where I should be putting it, or even if I should be moving it. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 2004-03-05, 05:50
Obsessive

Default Re: Guide To Installing The Voice Patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudicatorOmega
Download Japanese vAVG32, extract it to vAVG32, then download Haeleth's vAVG32e and extract it to the same folder, overwriting the file vAVG32.ini. Run vAVG32e.exe and select the version of Kanon that you have installed.
sorrowharvester: as you can see from above, you shouldn't run vAVGe from it's own directory. You should copy it to the same directory as vAVG, and overwrite the INI file. vAVGe is just a translation of the tool (program), but it still require files that come with the orignal Japaness version.
Old 2004-03-07, 14:46
Local

Ok, I am going to rewrite the guide somethime to make it clearer. I need to get out of the habbit of putting instructions into 3 to 4 paragraphs. I would do it all today, but I'm tired now.
Old 2004-03-09, 17:26
Myen

Default On the use of MP3

Slaimus:

To use the MP3 option, I believe you need gogo.dll. (Link appears to point to sources with a setup routine and prebuilt compilers... really weird) I do not know if some other program installed something like this for you before.

Be warned though, to actually listen to the files, you also need an ACM MP3 decoder (as in, not a DirectShow filter such as the one Windows Media Player can use). It needs to be able to show up in Control Panel -> Sounds and Multimedia -> Hardware (tab) -> Audio Codecs (in list) -> Properties -> Proerties (tab).

I believe there used to be a free Fraunhofer one; I don't know if it's still freely available.
Old 2004-05-03, 22:11
Local

Send a message via AIM to RyokoTenchi

regarding the obtaining of a dreamcast version of Kanon it seems himeya no longer carries it. damn

Kevin: Quick Marty! We've got to get you back to the future!
Scott: Dammit Kevin stop making fun of my DeLeorean!!
Old 2004-06-09, 17:30
Ex-boss

Default Re: On the use of MP3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myen
(Link appears to point to sources with a setup routine and prebuilt compilers... really weird)
That's to get round the MP3 patents. Apparently it's legal to distribute source code, but not to distribute binaries. Hey, I don't make the rules...

Quote:
I believe there used to be a free Fraunhofer one; I don't know if it's still freely available.
Supposedly it comes with Windows XP; failing that there are some programs that install it, notably Media Jukebox (you can safely uninstall the useless application once you have the codec on your system).
Old 2004-06-13, 08:49
Visitor

Send a message via AIM to Kero Send a message via MSN to Kero

I installed the voice and translation patch fine...But, I notice that the voices are a little low...Is there anyway to increase to volume on them?
Old 2004-06-13, 12:00
Ex-boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kero
I notice that the voices are a little low...Is there anyway to increase to volume on them?
Can't you just turn the CD audio volume down and the main volume up?
Old 2004-06-13, 12:48

I downloaded a voice patch, but its not in AFS and it's already in the audio form. How do I install that?
Closed Thread