gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > Production & Help

Production & Help For discussions regarding production aspects, especially localisation, of visual novels and related games.

Old 2009-07-15, 15:37
Visitor

Default Help with Patch Creating

Hello,
I am an English to Japanese translator working with a small group of people to translate the game Ijiwaru My Master. We are currently 15% done with it, and it is only our second day working on the project.
The reason I came here, is to ask if anyone knows where to find or has any information on making a translation patch for computer games. Since our group is currently only made up of two translators and a proofreader, we have no clue where to start when it comes to making a patch. Any help or information you could offer on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
~Xeiran

Last edited by xeiran; 2009-07-15 at 15:40.
Old 2009-07-16, 00:39
dsp2003

http://nsis.sourceforge.net

You'll need NSIS and VPatch toolset. It's more than enough to create patches. :)
Old 2009-07-16, 01:46
Unregistered

Wouldn't the first question be, which Engine that Game runs on?
Old 2009-07-19, 09:53
Obsessive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsp2003 View Post
http://nsis.sourceforge.net

You'll need NSIS and VPatch toolset. It's more than enough to create patches. :)
Why would anyone need that? It's only useful when you are named Message
Old 2011-05-13, 10:39
Visitor

Hi, im pretty much in the same situation as the first guy in the post so i need help trying to figure out how to make executable patcher. I have already downloaded and installed nsis and vpatch but neither of them is user friendly so im very much lost. here are some specific questions i have in addition to just "how is it done".

when making a executable patcher is it mostly programming code or is most of it just having a program generate the patcher for you? because i'm kinda new to programming and all i know is c++ and java

second does the patcher have to know the exact location for each file it needs to replace or does it just search for each file in the sub-folders until it finds it?

thank you,
Crimson
Old 2011-05-13, 11:17
Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonokami View Post
Hi, im pretty much in the same situation as the first guy in the post so i need help trying to figure out how to make executable patcher. I have already downloaded and installed nsis and vpatch but neither of them is user friendly so im very much lost. here are some specific questions i have in addition to just "how is it done".

when making a executable patcher is it mostly programming code or is most of it just having a program generate the patcher for you? because i'm kinda new to programming and all i know is c++ and java

second does the patcher have to know the exact location for each file it needs to replace or does it just search for each file in the sub-folders until it finds it?

thank you,
Crimson
Knowing the vn's engine not probably matters though since it's just a process of overwriting stuff so I think any engine will do. I'm using Smart Install Maker when creating executable installers for vn's using Kiri Kiri (won't say what it is though lol).
of course, there are commands needed to be input before it could actually work, so you need to have some basic knowledge about scripting and stuffs. sadly for me, though I might be using it but I don't have the slightest clue how that works since I had someone to do the work for me so so you're better off asking some experienced ones :)

if you're overwriting files, the patcher needs to know the exact location of each file, so you probably need to sort the files in your installer similar to the directory it's going to overwrite.

Last edited by appztetra; 2011-05-13 at 14:16.
Old 2011-05-13, 15:41
Visitor

So an installer can be used as a patcher when it overwrites pre-existing files; updating the old files to the new files? That makes everything easier. All this time i was looking for patching tools when i should have been looking for installer tools.

BTW Smart Install Maker is a pretty awesome tool, i was able to make a patcher within 10 minutes! of course it only patches a single txt file and has a generic interface but at least that's better than the 20 minutes i spent on nsis and vpatch to only have the patcher crash in the end because it couldn't find the source files, whatever that means.

thank you,
Crimson
Old 2011-05-13, 19:56
Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonokami View Post
So an installer can be used as a patcher when it overwrites pre-existing files; updating the old files to the new files? That makes everything easier. All this time i was looking for patching tools when i should have been looking for installer tools.

BTW Smart Install Maker is a pretty awesome tool, i was able to make a patcher within 10 minutes! of course it only patches a single txt file and has a generic interface but at least that's better than the 20 minutes i spent on nsis and vpatch to only have the patcher crash in the end because it couldn't find the source files, whatever that means.

thank you,
Crimson
welcome :)
Old 2012-06-14, 13:55
Unregistered

Default Dead?

Is this project dead? I was considering doing a translation from the spanish patch of Ijiwaru my Master, and just wanted to know if you were still working on it.