gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > Production & Help

Production & Help For discussions regarding production aspects, especially localisation, of visual novels and related games.

Old 2009-01-24, 12:21
Visitor

Default Enzai script files

I'm a former romhacker and I often translate games from english to portuguese, which is my main language.

I recently got the english version of "Enzai" (Falsely Acused) from Jast USA and I've been looking forward to translate the game to portuguese.
Yesterday I managed to find a program that got the "rio.arc" file extracted into various "txt*.scr" files, however, upon opening them into a common hexadecimal program, it won't give me any readable text, it outputs as gibberish for every format I've tried, Shift-Jis, Utf-8, etc...

Has someone already managed to view those .scr files before? Is there any program I can use to read and edit them? Is any programmer willing to write something to help me translate the game?
Old 2009-01-24, 13:27
Obsessive

have you tried anime editing tools?
http://www.dsp2003.narod.ru/animed_i.htm
Old 2009-01-24, 13:30
dsp2003

rio.arc stands for Will Co. Engine. The .scr\.wsc files inside are encrypted by the following simple algorithm:

Spoiler

In AnimED, those functions are "Encrypt by circular multiplication" and "Decrypt the circular multiplication".

Note: you cannot edit Will Co. Engine .scr files with my tool, you can only decrypt and crypt back - use an Hex Editor instead (and only at your own risk).

Have a nice day.

Last edited by dsp2003; 2009-02-05 at 11:20.
Old 2009-01-24, 13:35
Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enerccio View Post
have you tried anime editing tools?
http://www.dsp2003.narod.ru/animed_i.htm
I used exactly that tool to extract the .scr scripts/scenarios out of the .arc but it don't appear to recognize the .scr files after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsp2003 View Post
rio.arc stands for Will Co. Engine. The .scr\.wsc files inside are encrypted by the following simple algorithm:

Code:
Note: Pascal programming language.

Encryption (single byte):

Result := (byte shl 2) or (byte shr 6);

Decryption (single byte):

Result := (byte shr 2) or (byte shl 6);
Sorry, I'm no programmer, I don't understand those >_<'''
Could you please do a simple decompiler/recompiler so I can use with those files?
Old 2009-01-24, 14:46
Obsessive

Quote:
Originally Posted by landxhp View Post
I used exactly that tool to extract the .scr scripts/scenarios out of the .arc but it don't appear to recognize the .scr files after that.

Sorry, I'm no programmer, I don't understand those >_<'''
Could you please do a simple decompiler/recompiler so I can use with those files?
you don' have to
from his words, you just have to run that "Encrypt by circular multiplication" and "Decrypt the circular multiplication" function in AnimeED
You do need to edit the script files with hex editor after decryption though. And pack it back yourself. At least that's how I understood him. :<
Old 2009-01-24, 15:03
Visitor

Editing by hex editors is good enough of a deal, but then... how can I repack the files back to arc format? =/
Old 2009-01-25, 01:03
Obsessive

Send a message via AIM to Starchanchan Send a message via MSN to Starchanchan

I think, but I'm not sure, that before the official English version came out, a group was working on an English patch (which was obviously never finished)... I could be dead wrong, though. Try googling it and see what you come up with.
Old 2009-01-25, 01:35
dsp2003

The .arc format is easy but really ugly at the same time. See this:

Spoiler

I was able to write the code which handles the crazy file naming routine and provides extraction of the archive contents without any problems, but the repacking here is really tricky.

First of all, we must sort our filenames by the given extension (easy as pie), get the count of each (not a problem too), create the necessary ridiculous "extensions table", then generate the file allocation table with bare names (i.e. without extensions).

Last edited by dsp2003; 2009-02-05 at 11:23.
Old 2009-01-25, 07:27
Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsp2003 View Post
I was able to write the code which handles the crazy file naming routine and provides extraction of the archive contents without any problems, but the repacking here is really tricky.

First of all, we must sort our filenames by the given extension (easy as pie), get the count of each (not a problem too), create the necessary ridiculous "extensions table", then generate the file allocation table with bare names (i.e. without extensions). It was done, and the code is written already, but... it fails if there's more than 2-3 extensions or if there's a files without any extension.

That's the reason why you should not use AnimED for repacking - the chance of failure is too high. I'm sorry. T_T
Have you released that version of the code? The Rio.arc file extracts all into .src files so there's only one type there.

I tried converting a file, translating a line, convert back and repack the .arc with the version of AnimED I got here (0.6.5.360), it outputs a file just as the same size, however the game refuses to recognize it at all, it gives me a "File [filename] could not be opened", it happens both with the script file I changed (first script from new game) and other files unchanged (trying to access the options menu also freezes the game).
Old 2009-02-05, 11:17
dsp2003

Well, good news. I've finally solved the problem in Will Co. ARC archive generation algorithm. I'm going to release 0.6.5.365 build in the next 12 hours. Stay tuned. ^_^

Edit: released.

Also, if you have a copy of Delphi 7 or higher, you can apply this fix:

Spoiler

Last edited by dsp2003; 2009-12-12 at 12:32. Reason: updated the link
Old 2009-02-06, 07:32
Visitor

Thanks a lot for your effort in releasing a fixed version, I appreciate it and I believe many other people find it useful ^^

However, after repacking, the game still says "File [filename] could not be opened" and halts the application =/
Old 2009-02-06, 08:43
dsp2003

No way! x_x Tested with Critical Point, Little My Maid and Yume Miru Kusuri -- works perfectly. Are you setting the output format exactly as "[ARC] Will Co."?

Please note: there's two different ARCs - "Will Co." and "Buriko General Interpreter".

P.S. Что-то не срастается с твоей стороны. Попробуй ещё разок. :)
Old 2009-02-06, 09:00
Visitor

Yeah I DO select "[ARC] Will Co." as the repack format but it still won't work. It does pack a file that looks like the same filesize but when I try opening the game with it it just halts like that:

Even if the file I modified isn't the "cgmain.src" (the file called when I click "option") - it simply renders a file that the game can't find the reference scripts and then closes itself.
Old 2009-02-06, 09:33
dsp2003

Crap. The only thing I can think of is a file order in the archive. You see, AnimED (and any other custom format-compatible tool) packs files in the same order as they're stored at your file system. In other words, the archive will never be 100% byte-identical to the original and that is the most probable cause (especially if there's some kind of "list file" in the archive -- some kind of protection).

So, the next step is going to be the reconstruction of the same file sorting algorithm... *_*

The built-in Object Pascal sorting procedures will probably be useless......

Eh, anyway, I'll see what I can do.
Old 2009-02-06, 09:43
Visitor

Maybe making AnimED repack a new file with the order based on the original file? Is that possible?

I could upload the original rio.arc if you'd like, it's only about 1mb.