gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2008-03-16, 18:09
Unregistered

Default [Release] Fate /stay Night UBW official patch

http://mirrormoon.org/node/243

Looks like it comes with the option to add the voices from the PS2 Realta Nua if you have the DVD. I've been long anticipating this, and patiently waited even after the unofficial patch, so thank you Mirror Moon for finally releasing this.
Old 2008-03-17, 14:38
Phy

Awesome. I as well. I wanted to wait until the polished product. Now it's out. Clockin'. oeuvre.
Old 2008-03-17, 22:36
Obsessive

Send a message via AIM to Starchanchan Send a message via MSN to Starchanchan

SHYES. I've been waiting for this to come out for sooo long- Archer's my favorite character from F/SN, so it'll be great to play through the path that centers around him. /o/
Old 2008-03-18, 06:19
Obsessive

Send a message via AIM to Moogy

UBW is the best visual novel (or, well, part of one) to be translated into English.
Old 2008-03-18, 13:02
Posts way too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogy View Post
UBW is the best visual novel (or, well, part of one) to be translated into English.
To be honest, I'm not quite sure I agree... but if you only count ones that have been properly patched, you're probably at least pretty close to being correct.
Old 2008-03-19, 14:18

I finished it. Man, I cried so hard during the whole damn thing. That was possibly one of the most miserable, depressing things I have ever read. Unlimited Blade Works is so much better than Fate.
Old 2008-03-19, 14:54
Posts way too much

HF is so much better than UBW, too, so everyone who hasn't played it; look forward to that =p
Old 2008-03-19, 23:04
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asceai View Post
To be honest, I'm not quite sure I agree... but if you only count ones that have been properly patched, you're probably at least pretty close to being correct.
With all due respect, in what aspect does Clannad surpass UBW?

Even though I thoroughly enjoyed E17, it doesn't come close to UBW.
Old 2008-03-19, 23:31
Unregistered

Personally, I've always found objective assertions like '$GAME is the $ADJECTIVE game (in $CATEGORY)' to be a bit of a laugh. What one person loves about a game is going to be anathema to others, especially with games of drastically different genres like FSN and Clannad.
Old 2008-03-20, 01:09

I haven't played Clannad yet (very looking forward to it) but I like Ever17 slightly more than FSN. If I were to give E17 9.8, FSN would get 9.7.

Also, HF was by far my favourite route in FSN. But that's mainly because Sakura and Rider are two of my favourite characters, and I don't care much about Saber.

UBW wasn't too bad, definitely liked it better than Fate though.
Old 2008-03-20, 01:18
Posts way too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
With all due respect, in what aspect does Clannad surpass UBW?

Even though I thoroughly enjoyed E17, it doesn't come close to UBW.
Well, first of all, I'm definitely not the only one to think this. (not that I really agree with erogamescape on a number of counts. Himawari should be closer to the top, for one thing =p) However, I think Clannad is better written, has far more profound and genuinely fascinating characters, has better music and is generally a story better capable of evoking emotion.

Now, Ever17 is not a favourite game of mine. It's not in my list of top 5 visual novels, and to be honest I find the characters a bit weak and unexciting. Additionally, the setting doesn't really feel that convincing to me.. there should be a lot more tension involved when all the characters are a day or two away from almost certain death with no rescue in sight. However, the story is more intriguing and is ingeniously engineered. Unlimited Blade Works isn't even the best route in Fate/stay Night.

The thing is that your opinion of a game typically isn't at its most accurate just after playing it for the first time. I thought Cartagra was the best visual novel ever for like a week after playing it. Takes a bit of time for your mind to settle and you can more objectively look back on its pros and cons.
Old 2008-03-20, 10:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asceai
The thing is that your opinion of a game typically isn't at its most accurate just after playing it for the first time. I thought Cartagra was the best visual novel ever for like a week after playing it. Takes a bit of time for your mind to settle and you can more objectively look back on its pros and cons.
This is a factor, since there is a time and place element to all experiences - I really liked Ninja Turtles, but now it's not so attractive - similarly, maybe in 10 years I'll forget about whatever life-changing VN is my current top at the moment and instead will like a slow romantic dating sim between elderly people and think that that's the way to go (though I don't think they make those yet). Regarding the Cartagra experience, well, who said the best needs to be long-lived? Sometimes the short experience is the more intensive - the "the star that shines twice as bright lives half as long" thing. You remember it in that context and that moment and it's just as great a memory as current favorites - who said you need to build a ranking list anyway? Can't we just like many things at once?

In the end, I think there is something to the previous unregistered and his $GAME-theory - there is no definitive answer, and all you can do is collect quantifiable statistical data and try to work out some kind of a mean figure (like that the majority of people like Tsukihime 80% or something). But that's like saying the majority of first loves don't last. It may be true, but should I really care?

And actually, I don't think the discussions are about the games anyway.

My feeling is in fact, that by assessing and discussing which one is the best and which characters are more compelling, it's not really talking about the game, but about the person playing it.