gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > Technical Issues

Technical Issues For bug reports, problem solving, and help running Japanese software.

Old 2007-09-29, 00:35
kouryuu

Default Comic Party

Alright, so I've been playing Comic Party for a while now, and I really want to translate it. This would be my first real project, although a while ago, I released the Binary Pot Demo with the help of the Deja Vu staff. I have a few friends together already who are willing to work on the project with me.

So, I wanted to ask, before we really get started trying to crack the code ourselves, If anyone on the forum has already done so with Comic Party, or a similar game from Leaf? (Age = 1999, so before the .a/.p system if I'm not mistaken.)

We're fairly certain the scripts are in the event.pak, because when we take a look at the paks with susie, its the only one that shows .dat and .mes files, rather than .grp and other image files. Also its about 1.8~2MB large, despite a lack of images.

However, I thought it best to ask, before our hacker starts battling against the code, If anyone else has already worked with Comic Party, or other older Leaf Games, and if any software or anything has been developed for them like OnScripter and RelDev have been.
Old 2007-09-29, 01:05
Posts way too much

so, the issue is that you can extract, but you can't reinsert? Hum..

I've never played Comic Party, but of course I'm always willing to help in format hacking anything visual-novel-related if you throw me files.

Last edited by Asceai; 2007-09-29 at 01:31.
Old 2007-09-29, 02:41
Local

You're going to translate Comic Party? That's great news, I'll be rooting for you! What version will you be translating? (Hopes it will be compatible with my DCE edition)
Old 2007-09-29, 07:06
kouryuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asceai View Post
so, the issue is that you can extract, but you can't reinsert? Hum..
I've never played Comic Party, but of course I'm always willing to help in format hacking anything visual-novel-related if you throw me files.
Um... I can't "extract" really, or at least we haven't at the moment. I wanted to make sure the ground wasn't already broken before our hacker gets cracking at it. Susie just lets you view the files. I think one could use it to extract the .dat and .mes files from it, but then you still have to hack the .dat and .mes files to get the scripts out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatina
You're going to translate Comic Party? That's great news, I'll be rooting for you! What version will you be translating? (Hopes it will be compatible with my DCE edition)
Well, We'll be working with the Original CD edition, since thats the version I have, so all the naughty bits will be intact, but I'm not sure if it will work with the DCE reverse port. The big problem lies in the DCE's inclusion of a new character branch, subaru, that's not in the original. If We ever get into the scripts, then after we finish, I'll have our hacker see what he can do, but at best, It still won't cover Subaru's path.

But, first things first: One can't start a project until the scripts are extracted.
Old 2007-09-29, 22:21
kouryuu

Alright, he thinks he should be able to get the scripts out. But we're trying to figure out the images now. He's looked and each image file seems to have a .grp, a .msk, and a .c16 file to match.

My personal guess is that the .msk is a mask file since the backgrounds don't have one, but the other two I can't figure out. We know the .grp is the actual image file, But does anyone know what program can view and save (edit) .grp files?
Old 2007-10-02, 19:39
Unregistered

if you can read chinese, get some help from the chinese translation group 澄空学园 sumisora (at least, i'm 99% sure they're the translation gruop, google it). they already have a 0.6 patch out. even if you dont want to contact them yourself, you should get their translaion if you want a chinese translater in your group. if there are japanese and chinese translaters in your group, the translation's going to get a LOT faster. I for one, would volenteer to help you in your translation (fluent chinese) or image editing. my email's fangchen4@hotmail.com
Old 2007-10-09, 14:48
kouryuu

Ok, so seriously, does anyone here have any clue or idea as to what a .grp file Is, and how one can go about editing it? (IE, edit and save as a .grp again)
Old 2007-10-09, 15:26
Asceai too lazy to log in

Well, since I'm currently not getting anywhere on this .hik format (I'll have to find some more RealLive games.. maybe I should go and get Clannad sometime, since the patch for it is going pretty well), I'll be willing to look. Gimme some files (the .grp, .msk and .c16s for one or two images) and I'll bite.
Old 2007-12-02, 14:05
roofclimber1

Default maybe this'll help?

I went on google, and completely unexpectedly, I found this:
http://www.smempire.org/tutorials/RetroGRP/retrogrp.php
when I searched for "grp file image". Maybe it's the same in Starcraft as it is in Comic Party? Though I really doubt it and I'd find it very funny if it was...
I guess try it and see what happens.

...I should probably make an account here too, seeing as I've been lurking around for a while now...
Old 2007-12-02, 21:09

Send a message via ICQ to zalas

You do know that grp can simply be an abbreviation for "graphics" right? <_<; You see file extensions like that all the time, totally unrelated to each other.
Old 2007-12-03, 06:02
kouryuu

To be completely honest, It wouldn't surprise me all that much if the .grp files WERE the same as the Starcraft ones. Since they Basically do represent moving sprites and backgrounds.
Old 2007-12-03, 21:48
Local

Er, I don't think so. Images can be represented a lot of different ways. I could rename your mom to an exe and send it over, wouldn't be suprised if it were executable? Check out the number of plugins some programs require to support all those *different* image formats.
________
Honda SL70

Last edited by fireshark; 2011-03-09 at 08:33.
Old 2009-05-29, 05:16
Local

Kouryuu, is it alive or you've gave up on since long ago?