gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2009-06-16, 01:01
Visitor

Default Question about the Higurashi/Umineko novels..

After doing some research on them, I'm still a little confused, but I think I mostly get it (I still don't really get the whole arks thing, but oh well). My question is, now that Umineko is entirely translated, and Higurashi is only about 1/4 of the way done (this is correct, right?), would I miss out on much if I play Umineko before Higurashi 1 + 2?

Thanks.
Old 2009-06-16, 02:08
Local

Send a message via AIM to pbsaffran Send a message via Skype™ to pbsaffran

As long as you don't try to find out what they mean when they do a higurashi cameo in Umineko, you should be fine. Umineko tends to make injkokes with higurashi moments or characters, so if you really try to understand them, you'll get spoiler after spoiler.
Old 2009-06-16, 02:58
Posts way too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfif View Post
After doing some research on them, I'm still a little confused, but I think I mostly get it (I still don't really get the whole arks thing, but oh well). My question is, now that Umineko is entirely translated, and Higurashi is only about 1/4 of the way done (this is correct, right?), would I miss out on much if I play Umineko before Higurashi 1 + 2?

Thanks.
Higurashi: 1/4 translated
Higurashi Kai: 0/4 translated
Umineko: 4/4 translated
Umineko (Kai?): 0/4 translated
Old 2009-06-16, 06:22
Regular

Quite a sad state of things. I also wanted to play Higurashi before Umineko but I guess I could as well be waiting forever..
Old 2009-06-16, 06:40
Local

Not really. The game is allegedly supposed to be released in France later this year - then again, the project seems to be running since last year and still no official statement has been made so...

My point being - if FRANCE can do it, surely the USA can as well...
Old 2009-06-16, 06:56
Regular

About Higurashi: what are the differences between the different versions (PC, PS, Anime, Manga)? For example, I have read that some versions have arcs that others don't. Seeing the anime would be "enough" to get all the story? It is worse, or much worse, than the game?

http://7nightstranslations.wordpress.com/ - VN reviews and stuff
Old 2009-06-16, 07:50

Send a message via ICQ to zalas

The animated adaptation of Higurashi is very compressed. The PC and PS2/DS games are much longer, and the PS2/DS games have been restructured into standard AVG with choices (instead of NVL with no choices) and had a few things changed, including the removal of questionable content (that can get the publishers in trouble) and the addition of several scenarios. I don't know about the manga.
Old 2009-06-16, 09:34
Obsessive

Send a message via AIM to Moogy

The PS2 version of Higurashi also replaces the original art and music with vastly inferior and rather generic shit. Say what you will about Ryukishi's art, but at least it has a style. And the music in Matsuri is pretty much just a disgrace... couldn't they have at least put you in?

Anyway, the entirety of When They Cry 3, the first half of Umineko, is now translated. The first game in When They Cry 4, Umineko Episode 5, will be released at C76. So in about two months or so. I expect Witch Hunt to produce a high quality localization with relative alacrity, as they have been doing, so I am not worried about the prospect of continued translation of the franchise.

If you want to get into Umineko, now is your chance, I would say. WTC3 has one hell of an ending and it looks like it's only going to get better from here.

Also, if you're unfamiliar with Higurashi, it is doubtful that you will even notice the "references" to it in Umineko. In fact, even people who have watched both seasons of the Higurashi anime likely would not understand them, since they involve unadapted bits from the TIPS and the beginning of Minagoroshi-hen.

Oh, and please don't be tempted to watch the Umineko anime in lieu of playing the games. Both seasons of the Higurashi anime are exceptionally poor adaptations, and Umineko is significantly more difficult than Higurashi to adapt properly. So I doubt it will turn out well.

For the person asking about the differences between the anime and games: Notably, the Higurashi anime fucks up Tatarigoroshi-hen, Himatsubushi-hen, Meakashi-hen, the ending of Tsumihoroboshi-hen, the beginning of Minagoroshi-hen, and Matsuribayashi-hen pretty much entirely. The second season also becomes preoccupied with adapting irrelevant junk about Takano for several episodes in a row instead of adapting the TIPS that they missed, bothering to introduce Bernkastel, explaining the concept of kakera, etc. I'd say both seasons are probably decent if you just want a mystery story with some supernatural elements, but that the deeper meaning behind Higurashi isn't really present in either of them.

Last edited by Moogy; 2009-06-16 at 09:38.
Old 2009-06-16, 10:20
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogy View Post
The PS2 version of Higurashi also replaces the original art and music with vastly inferior and rather generic shit. Say what you will about Ryukishi's art, but at least it has a style. And the music in Matsuri is pretty much just a disgrace... couldn't they have at least put you in?
The problem with Matsuri's music is that it tries TOO much to be the original OST, and every single music comes out inferior to the old ones. It's actually a pretty decent soundtrack if you ignore the original, but you end up comparing the two and feel disappointed.

Quote:
Also, if you're unfamiliar with Higurashi, it is doubtful that you will even notice the "references" to it in Umineko. In fact, even people who have watched both seasons of the Higurashi anime likely would not understand them, since they involve unadapted bits from the TIPS and the beginning of Minagoroshi-hen.
This.

It will actually just leave you confused when Bernkastel appears. I'm wondering how anime watchers will react to her.

Quote:
For the person asking about the differences between the anime and games: Notably, the Higurashi anime fucks up Tatarigoroshi-hen, Himatsubushi-hen, Meakashi-hen, the ending of Tsumihoroboshi-hen, the beginning of Minagoroshi-hen, and Matsuribayashi-hen pretty much entirely. The second season also becomes preoccupied with adapting irrelevant junk about Takano for several episodes in a row instead of adapting the TIPS that they missed, bothering to introduce Bernkastel, explaining the concept of kakera, etc. I'd say both seasons are probably decent if you just want a mystery story with some supernatural elements, but that the deeper meaning behind Higurashi isn't really present in either of them.
I actually think that all of Minagoroshi-hen is a decent adaption, it's just the anime OST that kills a lot of the scenes. And that anime original arc in S2 wasn't that bad too (if only for adapting those skipped scenes from Onikakushi and Tatarigoroshi).
Old 2009-06-16, 12:00
Local

I don't want to pass off as a fanboy, but what I could hear from the second OST of the anime is quite cool. Not as good as older works from Kawai, but quite good.
Old 2009-06-16, 22:05

Send a message via ICQ to zalas

Quote:
The PS2 version of Higurashi also replaces the original art and music with vastly inferior and rather generic shit. Say what you will about Ryukishi's art, but at least it has a style.
The art in the PS2 release is technically better (in that proportions look more natural and the art looks more consistent), but yes, it does lack that flavor present in Ryuukishi07's art.
Quote:
And the music in Matsuri is pretty much just a disgrace... couldn't they have at least put you in?
They did put it back in, in the Kakera-Asobi version, which is the one I am playing. Haven't gotten there, though, since I haven't had time to start playing the "answer arcs" part of the game. I didn't find the music that terrible in the PS2 release, but I haven't played the original PC releases, either.
Old 2009-06-17, 05:43
Regular

I guess I'll play the games then, at least when my japanese becomes good enough (how hard is the language from Higurashi?)

Old 2009-06-17, 07:25
Local

It's not that difficult, but there are tons of references to more or less obscure games / anime / tv shows / general facts about japan. If you really want to enjoy it, you will need to know your stuff.
Old 2009-06-17, 08:00
Posts way too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazyrian View Post
I guess I'll play the games then, at least when my japanese becomes good enough (how hard is the language from Higurashi?)
Name the most difficult VN you've been able to read and enjoy unassisted, and if I know the VN, I'll tell you if Higurashi would be a good idea for you =p
Old 2009-06-17, 13:45
Regular

Hm, for the moment I'm still struggling with the Wind fandisc... But I guess eventually I'll get to the level needed...