gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2006-01-17, 07:09

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Default Fan Video Game Translation Panel?

I had been toying with the idea of holding a fan video game translation panel at the next Fanime and was wondering if anyone here would be able to help me present and/or attend the panel. Fanime is being held this year during the Memorial Day weekend (May 26-29, 2006) at the San Jose Convention Center.

I'd also like to get any suggestions on what material such a panel should be presenting. Currently, I have a rough sketch of what I want to cover:

1. History of Video Game Fan Translations
- the early ROM translations, etc.
- translated FAQs?
2. Overview of Technical Aspects
- how the script is extracted, translated, edited and reinserted
- variants on this
3. Other
- problems often encountered and ways to solve such problems
4. Q&A

What do people on this board think? Are there any areas I'm missing or some things that doesn't really belong there? I also had the idea of perhaps demonstrating live on my laptop step by step on the extraction, translation and insertion of a small game.
Old 2006-01-17, 08:04
Staff

Oh, I'd love to see a panel like this.

Right now, all I can think of is also how to hack the program to suit your needs (e.g. proportionally spaced text that Haeleth mentioned quite a while ago).

edit Not also editing the scripts, but also the graphics. In the original version of Planetarian, the buttons were all in Japanese. Insani localized it such that not only were the buttons translated and inserted clearly, but also the little stuff in the background ("Flowercrest" department store instead of Hanabiki, Reverie Planetarian instead of Hoshino Yumemi...).
Old 2006-01-17, 09:37
Ex-boss

Engine modifications have tended to be a fairly advanced topic... for an introductory panel it might be best to stick to the trivial case where you work within the limitations of the engine available.

Rather than demonstrating it live, it might be better to simulate the various phases in your presentation software of choice; that way you'd be less restricted in what titles you could choose from. Unless you were going to have some "black box" tools already set up to handle technical issues.

As far as the panel itself goes: there's no chance whatsoever I'll be attending, for obvious reasons (about 5000 of them), but I'd be happy to help prepare content and such like.
Old 2006-01-18, 02:19
kouryuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritsnare
Not also editing the scripts, but also the graphics. In the original version of Planetarian, the buttons were all in Japanese. Insani localized it such that not only were the buttons translated and inserted clearly, but also the little stuff in the background ("Flowercrest" department store instead of Hanabiki, Reverie Planetarian instead of Hoshino Yumemi...).
Lets not forget those dreadful little system menus that use alpha masks and such to lay the japanese text onto the background for your system menu. but yea... Editing out the text written directly into the .jpg ... without messing up quality... yea. i won't be at fanime, but could you post how to actually DO that? i have photoshop 7.0 and that little snippet is annoying the beejezus out of me...

>.< whoever though it was a good idea to put japanese script directly ontop of of a slightly faded image of the heroines head was NOT thinking of english fantranslators... >.<
Old 2006-01-18, 07:18
Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeleth
As far as the panel itself goes: there's no chance whatsoever I'll be attending, for obvious reasons (about 5000 of them)
Translation: Haeleth doesn't swim very well.
Old 2006-01-18, 13:17
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kouryuu
Editing out the text written directly into the .jpg ... without messing up quality... yea. i won't be at fanime, but could you post how to actually DO that? i have photoshop 7.0 and that little snippet is annoying the beejezus out of me...
I wish I knew any tricks to make it easier... as far as I know it just takes a lot of patience with the clone brush and some pixel-by-pixel tweaking. The only thing that saves you sometimes is the fact that the English text will usually partially obscure the messed-up area, so as long as it looks "okay" when blank, it should look "pretty good" when the new text is overlaid.

Here's one sample of the blanking process for a complex background from Narcissu.

Anonono was nasty, but in that case it was actually easier to try to reform the background image instead of redraw it: the background was a filtered version of the main character image, so it was possible to try to duplicate that filtering, like this. It was also possible to use the other character screens to copy-and-paste the sub-portraits instead of trying to redraw those too.

Sorry about the GIF pixellation: the actual images are nicer, but I thought the animation was worthwhile.
Old 2006-01-18, 18:33
Local

Sweet. I'm probably going to Fanime with my sister this year, so I'll probably attend.

I know hacking isn't exact science, to see the people who lurk around in IRC would be quite cool.
Old 2006-01-18, 18:37
Visitor

You know Maceart, this may actually be a reason for me to go to a convention. I've always had an aversion to those cosplaying people, but if this means getting more Phoenix Wright goodness translated, then count me there.
Old 2006-02-19, 23:37

Okay, submitted my proposal to Fanime... let's see if they'll take it...
Old 2006-02-23, 21:04

The guy in charge of panels replied to me and asked me to give him more details on the panel so that he can work out the legalities and such. I replied to him via email so let's hope it passes. :D