gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2006-07-01, 17:07
Regular

Default Serenity - 'Inspirational' Manga?

Found out about this from Sadly No:

Quote:
Description:

Girls, these aren’t your father’s comics. Meet Serenity–She’s a teen with a ‘tude, and she’s about to take the inspirational market by storm.

Teens worldwide love “manga” comics–”now you can give them this popular style with great Christian content! Meet Serenity, a lonely teen from a broken family who just wants to be accepted–”but who tends to lash out at others with anger and obnoxious sarcasm. At her new school, the Christian prayer group takes Serenity on as a “project,” showing her friendship and love… but will even that be enough to crack her hard shell?
Synopsis of the highly anticipated second issue:

Quote:
The lonely teen with the blue hair is slowly warming up to the Christian kids who’ve made her their “project…” but when Serenity wrecks Kimberly’s car and refuses to take responsibility, the prayer club decides some “tough love” is in order.
A sample of Serenity, "America's Premiere [sic] Inspirational Manga," is here.

NOTE: Lori's face looks like a rip off of Satsuki from Ichigo 100%.

This must be some kind of a sick joke. I haven't felt so unclean since I saw Christian Archie comics.

I like the domain name of the sample website, "serenitybuzz," as if there's some kind of popular undercurrent, or buzz if you will, regarding this 'manga.'

Of course I could be wrong. Manga fans here can set me straight. Comments anyone?
Old 2006-07-01, 19:38
Obsessive

Send a message via ICQ to Shii

This has been a popular joke on 4chan for a while. Apparently certain things are covered up with a censor block reading "Oops! Can't show that in a Christian manga!" They also enjoy posting Serenity HCG.

I think the theme of Christianity in teen life is a brilliant idea for an OEL manga, but the execution leaves basically everything to be desired. If there was an equivalent for the word "fluffbunny" in Christianity I would use it here.
Old 2006-07-01, 20:49
Obsessive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shii
This has been a popular joke on 4chan for a while.
is 4 chan related to 2ch? Is there also a 1ch, 3ch, 5ch, and so on?
Old 2006-07-01, 21:03
Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonmasterX
is 4 chan related to 2ch?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonmasterX
Is there also a 1ch, 3ch, 5ch, and so on?
1chan is for rail otaku. There is currently no 3ch or 5ch.
Old 2006-07-01, 21:25
Obsessive

Send a message via ICQ to Shii

4chan is indirectly related to 2ch in this fashion:

2ch -> futaba -> 4chan

There is also http://1ch.tv/ and http://3ch.jp/ (both of which saw their heydays pass a while ago), and http://5ch.net/ used to be a streaming server for 2ch. http://1chan.net/ is a separate thing from 1ch.

But this has very little to do with Serenity.
Old 2006-07-01, 21:47
Addicted

Oh, they're still around? That's a surprise.

Actually, I recall someone making a directory of -chans back when 4chan was still new and exciting, but I seem to have misplaced the bookmark...

and now, back to your regularly scheduled discussion of Serenity
Old 2006-07-02, 01:39
Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstCd2
1chan is for rail otaku. There is currently no 3ch or 5ch.
電車オタク?!

And this Serenity thing sounds like a decent enough idea, but will no-doubt have lousy execution. I mean, a Christian-themed manga could go over very well, especially with younger markets, but my concern is that like the vast majority of Christian books and music, it will end up far too heavy-handed to be of any practical use aside from--pardon the cliche--preaching to the proverbial choir. Not to get too far off topic, but Christian media needs to take a step back and be a little more subtle with its themes and ideas if it's ever expected to draw new readers. I mean, consider the comment about the 4chan jokes: people are already mocking the idea, but I'm sure the odds are high few to none of the members there have read it. Now obviously, this could be a point for not judging books by their cover, but it's also indicitive of the bad rap that Christian media--as a general whole--has earned. I mean, some of that stuff lays the parables on thicker than the Bible itself!
Old 2006-07-02, 03:09
Ex-boss

Agreed. Let's have some Old Testament manga. Plenty of good stories there, and none of this silly prudery about sex and violence that turns so many kids off religion as commonly practiced today. Though maybe the morals sometimes aren't as clear. ^^;

Or maybe some stuff from the apocrypha -- Judith should covert well. ;)
Old 2006-07-02, 03:34
Obsessive

Send a message via MSN to Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeleth
Well there is always Evangelion...
Old 2006-07-02, 05:16
rodan

I'd like to see David lop of the head of a Goliath Gundam...
A DBZ-style fight between Cain and Abel would be nice too.
A Joan of Arc manga would kick arse.
Old 2006-07-02, 05:21
Regular

Well, I don't know about manga but there is some Bible anime:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=1111
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=4731
Old 2006-07-02, 09:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSaintLouis
And this Serenity thing sounds like a decent enough idea, but will no-doubt have lousy execution.
This is an understatement. Serenity isn't lousy, it's blatant right wing pandering.

One of Serenity's other teachers gives her an incomplete because she wrote a profanity laced poem for her poetry assignment. Serenity runs into this teacher, who then comforts Serenity, explaining about how the literature teacher is part of the old white patriarchy and that he mustn't oppress young womyn. The author couldn't just leave it at that; he had to draw attention to it with a note to the effect of "Notice the spelling!"

Ugh.

Serenity is truly horrible. I can't enumerate the problems with the unbelievable behaviour, nonsensical slang, and ridiculous situations. None of the characters are likeable.

Finally, (some people may see this as a low blow, but I think it's relevant), the art is simply terrible. We are talking mediocre Keenspace quality art. The line art is overly simple, and the coloring was done with the fill tool.

Quote:
I mean, consider the comment about the 4chan jokes: people are already mocking the idea, but I'm sure the odds are high few to none of the members there have read it.
Actually, somebody posted rapidshares. I'd say that it's very widely read on 4chan.
Old 2006-07-02, 11:01
Addicted

Quote:
Come now, sir! I'll have you know that Judith is not apocryphal, but deuterocanonical! It's part of the Septuagint, no less!

I'd be partial to a manga version of Leviticus, myself, specifically the laws concerning Jewish conduct--no eating bats or penguins!
Old 2006-07-02, 11:40
Obsessive

Send a message via AIM to Talbain

Quote:
Agreed. Let's have some Old Testament manga. Plenty of good stories there, and none of this silly prudery about sex and violence that turns so many kids off religion as commonly practiced today. Though maybe the morals sometimes aren't as clear. ^^;

Clearly, we need more fire and brimstone manga. :P
Old 2006-07-04, 19:14
Regular

The art is hamhanded and the storylines from what I have seen and read are heavyhanded. It's like a bad joke. It's like Christian heavy metal or the Christian Archie comics I mentioned in my original post.

I have no problem with "morality" comics. Well, not in principle. But I think Serenity is an over the top attempt to cash in on a perceived "fad." Something hip to kids today. Whatever, anime has been around quite a while now. It's an amateur attempt to proselytize, or propagandize, if you will, the youth targeted at parents concerned that their children are watching demonic anime or reading satanic manga.

The real problem is this: Japan isn't Christian enough for the wingnuts. Well, it's not really Christian at all, even though Japan has its own secular version of Christmas. In that respect it's not really that different from my country's (USA) Christmas. It's about presents, not so much about the birth of Christ which didn't even occur in December as far as I can tell.

That Japan isn't a Christian nation seems to be the evangelicals' main problem with manga and anime in general. I read a bunch of reviews for anime I like on a Christian amime site and they included a "bad religion" rating along with "sexuality" and other taboos such as violence along with the general enjoyment rating. How silly is that?

I was in particular interested in what they thought of Dokuro Chan, Elfen Lied, Air and Kanon. With the first two I was not disappointed! What's particularly funny is how they pointed out every instance of fanservice or naughty morals that they could spot. I, in turn, as any horny Christian teen would do, would use that as a guide to what anime I should watch. I could then flagellate myself later for my sin. Ah, what fun!

They complain that Japan doesn't emphasize the Christian God and that somehow makes it bad or worse: demonic. Sad day for them. As a child I went to a Christian school for a couple of years. I wanted to go to my best friend's house on halloween for trick or treat but was crestfallen to discover that they don't celebrate the evil holiday. That did it for me!

The more serious anime I have watched has values along with fanservice! Values are not necessarily tied to religion. Values are about treating others the way you would prefer to be treated. I don't need religion or guilt to get me to be a good person. Nor should others be denied whatever religion they prefer to be moral or whatever.

"Christian" or "inspirational" anime would be more fun if it wasn't trying to preach. One can promote good morals without being preachy. Serenity, laughably attempting to be what it is not, fails on so many levels. The positive reviews on Amazon cannot hide what Serenity is: amateur propaganda trying to disguise itself as manga, a style from a country which is mostly non-Christian. Shinto is evil, eh? Whatever.

Entertainment should be entertainment first, not propaganda. IMHO, of course. Thanks for all the commentary on this. I wasn't really expecting anybody to chime in. Christian propaganda just creeps me out.