gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2005-12-12, 20:37
Obsessive

Default Insects and such of Air

JWPce Entries:
オタマジャクシ (n) (1) tadpole, (2) ladle, (3) musical note
鍬形虫 【くわがたむし】 (n) stag beetle
黄色虫 【こがねむし】 (n) scarab beetle
蝉 【せみ】 (n) cicada, locust, (P)

Did I miss any?
Why do you think they were always written in katakana?
Old 2005-12-13, 01:21
Obsessive

Send a message via MSN to Carl
Default Re: Insects and such of Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonmasterX
Why do you think they were always written in katakana?
At least in cicadas case, conventional wisdom would be that it's easier to read than a complex kanji, but then again Maeda-san writes baka using kanji while most other people just use katakana for it, so who knows what's going on in his head...
Old 2005-12-13, 05:15
Ex-boss

Katakana are commonly used for biological names - as a matter of convention, not necessarily because it's easier to read. (For example, the article about dogs on the Japanese Wikipedia is under the heading イヌ, not 犬.)

Not but that katakana can make things rather harder to read. As in the famous (?) sentence from Sense off: 「ニホンヤモリ、クロイワトカゲモドキ、ホオグロヤモリ、オンナダケヤモリ、エンザンヤモリ、サエズリヤモリ、トッケイ・・・・・・」
(A list of lizards, if you want to know...)

Quote:
Did I miss any?
Several, I think. Off the top of my head, ヒグラシ.

(And I'll mention ポテト too, to save zalas the trouble.)
Old 2005-12-13, 09:45

Send a message via ICQ to zalas

One of the hardest things I had to read that was made harder through katakana were choice lines from Utawarerumono that combined katakana and divine glyphs -.- It was a good thing the main character in the scene couldn't understand it very well either <_<

Wasn't there something about a kabutomushi at the very beginning in AIR, when Misuzu was playing with one (My memory's a bit fuzzy on that)?
Old 2005-12-13, 14:09
Obsessive

ahh yeah if i remember correctly it was a scene in which misuzu was off in her little world talking about mr. and mrs. kabutomushi - while yukito was attempting to find his doll.
Old 2005-12-14, 12:42
Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeleth
Not but that katakana can make things rather harder to read.
Prime example: My Japanese textbook over the past term. Don't ask me WHY the authors chose to use Michael Jackson or Arnold Schwarzenegger as examples in the text, but the latter is all the reason you'll ever need for why some things should NEVER be transcribed to katakana.
Old 2005-12-15, 19:23
kouryuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSaintLouis
Quote:
Not but that katakana can make things rather harder to read.
Prime example: My Japanese textbook over the past term. Don't ask me WHY the authors chose to use Michael Jackson or Arnold Schwarzenegger as examples in the text, but the latter is all the reason you'll ever need for why some things should NEVER be transcribed to katakana.
マイケルジャックソンとアーノードシュアーシャニガーですか?
Old 2005-12-15, 23:19
Addicted

My roommate's got a death grip on my textbook, but I think it's something closer to シュワルズネーガー or something ridiculously unpronounceable.

I mean, I can understand the need to include the Almighty Michael in the book, but trying to read Arnold's name out loud on the fly is one heck of a stumbling block.
Old 2005-12-16, 01:08
Ex-boss

Why not just substitute suitably generic Japanese names when reading aloud? It's not too hard to skip over long runs of katakana.

You know, like 花子ちゃん, or 佐藤さん, or 中田氏.
Old 2005-12-16, 01:20
Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSaintLouis
My roommate's got a death grip on my textbook, but I think it's something closer to シュワルズネーガー or something ridiculously unpronounceable.

I mean, I can understand the need to include the Almighty Michael in the book, but trying to read Arnold's name out loud on the fly is one heck of a stumbling block.
It seems the general consensus is シュワルツェネッガー, although personally, I have enough difficulty spelling it in English.

Quote:
Right, and yet so wrong... =P
Old 2005-12-16, 08:44

Send a message via ICQ to zalas

Quote:
Why not just substitute suitably generic Japanese names when reading aloud? It's not too hard to skip over long runs of katakana.

タブチさん!
Old 2005-12-16, 16:42
Obsessive

Quote:

ポチ!?
Old 2005-12-18, 13:54
Obsessive

Does anyone think there is a hidden meaning behind the use of all the cicadas in the game(almost always buzzing in the background)? What exactly do they stand for or represent? In other words, are they a metaphor for something?

I wonder because I've been reading some translations of Classical Japanese poetry(while referring to the original CJ) and cicadas seem to come up frequently. Especially this:

空蝉 【うつせみ】 (n) cicada, cast-off cicada shell, man of this world, the real world

If I remember correctly, Utsusemi was also the name of some lady early in the Tale of Genji.
Old 2005-12-18, 14:44
Obsessive

Send a message via ICQ to Shii

Quote:
Does anyone think there is a hidden meaning behind the use of all the cicadas in the game(almost always buzzing in the background)? What exactly do they stand for or represent? In other words, are they a metaphor for something?
No, there are just way too many cicadas in Japan. They're all over the place and they're really noisy. Also they are HUGE and when one dies this gigantic, spindly bugbeast from Hell falls from the trees and splatters all over your porch.

So yeah, if a summer game is missing cicadas either it's low-budget or it's taking place outside Japan.
Old 2005-12-18, 14:49
Ex-boss

Quote:
If I remember correctly, Utsusemi was also the name of some lady early in the Tale of Genji.
You remember correctly.<blockquote>空蝉の身をかへてける木のもとに
なほ人がらのなつかしきかな</blockquote>and all that.

I've always assumed that most of the mentions of cicadas in AIR are in the context of typescenes to mark the summer setting - the narrator continually observes that they're noisy in much the same way that Kanon's narrator continually observes that it's cold. But maybe my long exposure to oral-formulaic poetry has biased me against symbolic interpretations...