gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > Production & Help

Production & Help For discussions regarding production aspects, especially localisation, of visual novels and related games.

Old 2007-11-09, 23:42
velocity7

Default Programmer Request: Tomoyo After PS2

I'm very interested in starting up a Tomoyo After PS2 translation project, but I require a programmer that can handle all of the wetwork required to build a base for this.

One of the following is plausible:
  • an emulator that runs the game specifically, realtime patching the English text and custom fonts as needed
  • a method to convert the scripts to RealLive as well as access graphical/sound assets from the PS2 disc
Can anyone help?

---

I originally posted this on NGEmu:
Quote:
Game Name: Tomoyo After CS Edition
Game Code: SLPM-66611
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 2.4GHz
RAM: 3GB DDR2 RAM
GPU: nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS 640 MB
PCSX2: PCSX2 0.9.4 Windows XP, x32, VM
Plugin Configuration:
All CPU options enabled, MTGS and DC enabled
GSdx9 0.10.0, using Direct3D and software modes, Pixel Shader 2.0 & 3.0. Only "linear texture filtering" and "Enable NLOOP hack" are checked.

Currently, graphics look like crap in hardware mode, but sound is near-perfect. If you know where you're going with menus, it goes in and does what it's supposed to do. Software (float) mode gets graphics perfect, but speed takes a massive hit (drops to 10 fps as opposed to default 60 for this game).

Progressive mode does not work, and at worst, crashes PCSX2.

ZeroGS does not work with this game.
Direct3D:

Software:

UPDATE: I've talked with Gabest on the matter, and internally there is now a build that renders Tomoyo After (and CLANNAD) properly! Better progress than nothing. Please note that GSdx 0.1.7 at this time doesn't do it; Gabest's next release should do the trick.

Last edited by velocity7; 2008-01-23 at 07:57.
Old 2007-11-10, 00:09
Local

Minagi on here made something to extract and repack PS2 scripts and images, you might want to look into that
________
Suzuki Dl650 Vstrom

Last edited by fireshark; 2011-03-09 at 08:30.
Old 2007-11-10, 01:40

Send a message via ICQ to zalas

So the obvious question is... why not the PC version?
Old 2007-11-10, 05:55
Rasqual Twilight

From what I saw from the disc contents, it pretty much looks like the same structure as in CLANNAD PS2 was used for Tomoyo After PS2.
You should at least be able to reuse the code on the CRI's AHX/MZX audio file format from 名無しさんだよもん in http://www.geocities.com/sleephook/clannad/index.en.htm (or ahx2wav: http://gomaigasane.blog86.fc2.com/blog-category-4.html / http://forums.sonic-cult.org/index.php?showtopic=3086 / http://info.sonicretro.org/Image:Ahx2wav_v014mod.zip )

I didn't take a look at the graphics format, maybe ExtractData will give sth?
Old 2007-11-10, 08:46
velocity7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas View Post
So the obvious question is... why not the PC version?
A couple of reasons:

1. Non-hentai! :p
2. More story content in the PS2 version versus the PC one.
Old 2007-11-10, 09:43
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocity7 View Post
That ruins all the fun of the game. If someone doesn't want the H-Scenes, he can just install the nonH patch
Old 2007-11-10, 10:07
Unregistered

Agreed, nothing wrong with H and it's not like there's that many.
Plus this way peoples have to buy the game for sure if they want to use the patch.
Old 2007-11-10, 10:53
Unregistered

Quote:
A couple of reasons:
Oh come ON.
Quote:
2. More story content in the PS2 version versus the PC one.
Now that is very valid, but how about making a patch for the PC version anyway, since it's a subset of the PS2 one? Just don't translate the moaning at all, H scenes tend to be pretty... intuitive anyway.
Old 2007-11-10, 13:00
velocity7

Well, if anyone else is interested in translating the hentai scenes, using this project as a base, I'm willing to allow for that. To tell you the truth though, I don't think I'd ever keep a straight face translating anything hentai. :p
Old 2007-11-10, 15:00
Posts way too much

Tomoyo After's H scenes would be more bothersome to translate than anything else by Key (which generally have pretty short and non-descriptive H scenes. Tomoyo After's aren't really much worse at all, but relatively speaking =p). That said, translating and patching the PS2 version is going to be generally a pain (and several of us did not buy the PS2 version, because we don't have a PS2 =p) so it's going to an unusually large amount of effort to avoid some H and get some additional story. And there aren't _many_ H scenes, in any case.

Of course, since a translation is generally the most time-consuming part of any game translation, it probably wouldn't add too much effort to move a patch between the two versions (provided they both use the same SEEN scripting format and we can diff it or whatever to see exactly what changed)
Old 2007-11-10, 15:27
Obsessive

The PC version is out of print so a PS2 patch seems more logical to me.
Old 2007-11-10, 16:07
velocity7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyuichi View Post
The PC version is out of print so a PS2 patch seems more logical to me.
Interesting, didn't know that. :o
Old 2007-11-11, 00:01

Send a message via ICQ to zalas

I guess it didn't sell well enough for Key to release a 通常版 or something? Or are they waiting a bit before doing a rerelease?
Old 2007-11-11, 00:54
Addicted

Seeing as Little Busters' regular edition dropped at the end of September, I'd imagine it's highly doubtful that Tomoyo After will be getting a rerelease anytime soon. I'm no corporate analyist and don't purport to speak for the company, but I'd think that if they had any intention of releasing a regular edition for Tomoyo they'd have done it by now rather than rush out with the regular edition of their latest product, but that's just my opinion.
Old 2007-11-11, 01:11
dsp2003

-_- *Sigh*

There's could be an simple answer -- grab both PC & PS2 versions, combine everything together and release it as monsterous patch for PC version ^_^ or even FanDisc (there's will be a lot of problems with PS2. First, because there's no guarantee that the console will accept the "homemade" disc. Second, there's no guarantee that the PS2 executable will accept the hacked resources -- by knowing Key, PC EXE could behave in the same way too. Probably, you should ask Haeleth or Serke about this one).

Last edited by dsp2003; 2007-11-11 at 01:17.