gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2010-07-16, 21:55
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magedark View Post
Japan, if I think I have my facts right, is a very expensive place to live in.
And I think that map would be helpful...
I'd agree with you, in both. I've heard by some acquaintance's of mine that lived there, that almost all is quite expensive.
Old 2010-07-16, 22:20

Okeys, here it is, it's from 2008 when I was last there so the smaller stores could have been juggled around by now, but the bigger stores almost never change, so use those bigger stores and buildings as your land mark (My land mark was Gamers and Toranoana, in the buildings labled 59 and 65)

Appologies for it being all folded :(
But I had to find some way to squish it in my luggage on my way back...

*Although it's from two years ago, it does say "not for reprint", I'm gonna take it off if anyone requests it to be off.

BTW, talking about the expenses you can go extremely cheep on your stay there if you're only intending a week or two since I was able to find an inn at ~$50 USD/night at a walking distance from Akiba. :D

Last edited by Sabino; 2010-07-16 at 22:23.
Old 2010-07-16, 22:52
Obsessive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabino View Post
Okeys, here it is, it's from 2008 when I was last there so the smaller stores could have been juggled around by now, but the bigger stores almost never change, so use those bigger stores and buildings as your land mark (My land mark was Gamers and Toranoana, in the buildings labled 59 and 65)

Appologies for it being all folded :(
But I had to find some way to squish it in my luggage on my way back...

*Although it's from two years ago, it does say "not for reprint", I'm gonna take it off if anyone requests it to be off.

BTW, talking about the expenses you can go extremely cheep on your stay there if you're only intending a week or two since I was able to find an inn at ~$50 USD/night at a walking distance from Akiba. :D
Crap, I forgot I can't read Japanese -crys-

I wanna go to a game store >.<
Old 2010-07-16, 23:10
Local

I can read it somewhat, but I have to squint due to the resolution. And that's not a bad deal for an inn.
Old 2010-07-17, 08:55
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabino View Post
Sofmap is nice but also be sure to go to Gamers and if you're interested, visit some doujin shops like Tora no ana (They have a big building in Akiba) and some minor doujin shops above and below ground.
Also, get an Akiba map, it's available around the Yamanotesen station and gamer building.
I'm quite certain that within walking distance from Akiba, there was a street filled with Japanese food and goodies (tho there are good food stores in Akiba too) it's always good to go to lots of those places :D
Around where is your hotel? (Around any train stations?)
Since there are tons of places in tokyo worth visiting if you don't plan to spend your entire week in Akiba! xD
Yeah I was back before you posted that but thanks for the info anyway. I did go to gamers as that is were I found my Angel Beats! merchandise. Also I did get an English Akiba map while I was there. Oh here is the swag I got from both Gamers and Softmap:Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0376.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	119

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0377.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	120

Last edited by Inexperienced Gaijin; 2010-07-17 at 12:37. Reason: Add Pics
Old 2010-07-20, 20:20
Obsessive

Send a message via AIM to JRaiKetchum Send a message via Yahoo to JRaiKetchum
Talking I'M BAAACK.. sortta

*appears in a cloud of smoke eating taiyaki*
Konban wa minna-san! LTNS! ^^

It is I, Rai, coming back from the.. COUGH COUGH COUGH!!! Damn smoke!! >.<

Okay enough of the shenanigans, how's everyone doing? I've been away for a while due to school and work. I accompanied Gaijin on his trip to Japan along with my girlfriend of one year and we had a blast! ^^

The trip over was fun. First time flying overseas. I want to do it more often! Good meals and complimentary liquor XD Okay so I drank wine... but still... FREE! Not to mention watching movies and listening to music. Didn't like the guy next to me flying from Seoul to Tokyo who didn't cover his mouth while coughing =/ Hellooo rhinovirus >.<

First thing we did when we got to Tokyo, ran to the bathrooms. 4hrs of not really getting up to pee.. yeah. Then we headed towards our hotel, the Grand Arc Hanzomon. Gaijin booked us in a Japanese style room, 3 futons... a very interesting experience. First day: Akihabara. Nothing more needs to be said. Wallets were crying out in pain. I was surprised that Toranoana didn't have that big of a selection when it came to some of the doujins I was bee-lining for (anything by Itaru Hinoue). And Gamers was just AWESOME! With arms breaking, we headed back to the hotel for the night.

Second Day: Ghibli museum, Akiba cleanup, and Nakano Broadway. The Ghibli museum was a sight to see! Words can't express what was seen ;) Afterwards, back to Akiba b/c Gaijin wanted to find a certain set of games... he found them and more. I found a game I'd been looking for for awhile (and also wanted to translate). I died and went to heaven when we went to Nakano Broadway. The shelves of hard to find artbooks, manga, and the DOUJIN!! OMG the DOUJIN! XD

Third day: Tokyo Tower and the Shinkansen to Osaka. Got some great panoramic shots from the 1st platform of Tokyo Tower. And the Shinkansen, AWESOME! XD As with arriving in Tokyo, upon arrival in Osaka headed straight for the hotel, Hearton Hotel Minamisenba and rested up for the day ahead.

Fourth Day: Kyo-ani and the Arashiyama region. We headed back towards Kyoto. Wow! The difference between it and every place we had been so far. I loved it. We made it to the Kyo-ani shop. They were surprised to see us, three American otaku arriving in their shop/workshop. They asked us questions and they also went and got another staff member who had a J->E translator and helped us converse with them. Most awesome thing, they let us watch them color the cels since we asked if we could try and buy one of the collectors cels they draw and they said they couldn't and also showed us some from Kanon!! ^^ I GOT TO HOLD AYUAYU-CHAN!!! XD We also got to learn about the process of painting cels. It was neat! ANd yeah, we bought stuff ^^;

Fifth day: VisualArt's iku yo! After shipping back the majority of our goods, we finally made our trek to deliver Gaijin's painting to Maeda-sensei. Our group elected me as the spokesperson.. with a nasty head cold @_@ I just asked one important question into the speaker box... "eigo wo hansashimasu ka." and the sweet chipper female voice replied back with a "hai!" I then proceeded to give our request. A person came down and recieved the gift and said they would make sure it was delievered to Maeda-sensei. After that we returned to Kyoto and went to the Kiyomizudera temple for Gaijin-san.

Sixth day: Departure. We departed from Kansai International Airport back to the States, stopping in Seattle to die for a night before heading all the way back home.

Overall it was a great trip! We learned a few things to remember before we go back:

1) Don't book between June and July unless you like rain! (Monsoon season >.<)
2) Try to improve Japanese proficiency a little more.
3) Remember: There is the Tokaido line and the Tokaido Shinkansen, they are NOT the same X_x

Alright! That's all I've got to say for now, next I'll post all the stuff I bought tomorrow XD

Oyasumi nasai
-Rai