gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2006-10-15, 21:10
CoffeeAnon

Default The price of licensing a Visual Novel

How much does it cost to license a Visual Novel game like Kanon or Air?

I think that there are a lot of games out there that Western gamers are missing out on, and after I finish grad school, I want to start my own game company to bring games liek this to the West at an affordable price.

I was wondering if anyone knew how companies like JAST and Peach Princess started out and how much they pay for a license, so I can develop a business plan someday.
Old 2006-10-15, 21:16

Insider tip: For Kanon, roughly a million dollars.

Try a small game... Touhou...?
Old 2006-10-15, 21:26
Addicted

It's an admirable idea, but the western market simply isn't large enough at the moment to justify the kinds of licence fees the Japanese companies want for the more popular franchises. Let's hope things change for the better before you finish grad school =P
Old 2006-10-16, 00:12
Obsessive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Really? Let me see ...

Assumptions based of rumor:
1. The license fee of a famous game is more 3 times larger than former games.
2. A former game broke the even point at about 2000-3000 copies.

Assuming that a imaginative so-so game's license fee is 300000 dollars, and the break-even point is 3000 copies. The profit per one copy should need to be more than 100 dollars... It seems there's misconception somewhere to me.

Of course it's a very extremely simplified calculation and the assumption itself is groundless as well. But well, if 50000 copies is sold license fee of those per one is 20 dollars. I doubt even Japanese company is able to deal in such price.
Old 2006-10-16, 00:14
Obsessive

Exactly. [edit: referring to AstCd2's post.] Hirameki expected the anime and manga market to quickly assimilate this very much related form of entertainment, but is instead having huge problems getting people to buy their products. Even though some of their products are quite good and worth the money they ask for it. There simply is not enough interest in visual novels to warrant yet another company getting itself in trouble for. At least, not yet.
Old 2006-10-16, 09:34
Addicted

Send a message via AIM to Misu Send a message via MSN to Misu Send a message via Yahoo to Misu

Well, Hirameki is current in no trouble by any means financially, but their not making near enough profit either to license much of anything besides more obscure (but still good) games.
Old 2006-10-16, 14:31
Obsessive

Send a message via MSN to Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous

Try a small game... Touhou...?
Yes, licence Touhou. You've got a customer right here.
Old 2006-10-16, 18:39
Obsessive

Send a message via AIM to Starchanchan Send a message via MSN to Starchanchan

License Azrael and you'd have my undying love ;_; I was so sad when I saw that Hirameki had licensed it back in 200-something, but then never released it (along with a bunch of others). *weep*
Old 2006-10-16, 23:28
Asmadi

Do you think it would be safer to try a ADV-type game based on an existing franchise or to take a random new game and try to market it? I'm not sure how well Hirameki's AYA did (probably not too well) but I wonder if it benefited at all from an estabilshed userbase?
Old 2006-10-16, 23:43
Obsessive

From what I've heard, AYA was not received well at all. And as for whether or not the fame of the title improved sales, I know a guy who could be considered a big fan of the AYA series and also plays visual novels regularly, and he was quick to decide not to try out the game. The demo showed him that it was a derivative work, at best.
So as long as the quality is lacking, I don't think a good name will help very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misu
Hirameki is current in no trouble by any means financially[...]
They're not, but they're not gaining much audience either. I mean that the huge anime and manga fanbase is imply not warming up to visual novels just yet. Or at least, a lot less than Hirameki had hoped.
Old 2006-10-17, 00:17
Maybe....

Maybe all they need is a little incentive ?

I mean, the Bible Black game is being released just after the anime was released. That should be a start.

And what about Fate/Stay Night ? Rumbling Hearts ? If the eventual fans of thsoe licensed anime find out their anime was absed on a game, why not get them to be interested in that ?

The way I see it, visual novels have to be treated as the complement goods they are. In fact, lets put it another way... despite what we think, anime and manga is not as big in the West and outside Japan as it should be (how many anime haters do you know ?) Sure, it's bigger than before, but still not big enough. People are only interested in the big names, and not the finer details.

If someone were to, say, release a Pokemon/Naruto/One Piece visual novel, esp in kiddy format.... hordes of kids would go for it. Provided it has good graphics and some good storyline twists (if they can make money out of pokemon manga, I can't see why not here)

Thus, I envision two possibilities.

Key could end up allowing Kanon to be published if, assuming this miracle happens, fans of Haruhi Suzumiya, newfoudn after last year (and hopefully, if ADV does get the deal), are also fans of Kanon, and demand the same licensor license the 2006 Kanon. This may seem far fetch.... but who knows ?

Either that... or there has to be some incredibly visual novel, made in Japan that is readily available, full scale, and amde into English, and is the biggest thing in all otakun circles, such that every anime fan plays it. Someone will ahve to pick up on it, and license it. Though the likelihood of this is equivalent to Haruhi's World Cramping Incident, Eva's Third Impact, and Desmond David Hume's Dharma Discharge.

One can only hope.
Old 2006-10-17, 02:20
rodan

But... American kids don't read!
Old 2006-10-17, 04:38
Obsessive

Quote:
Originally Posted by This article
He noted that many people in the U.S. walk around with MP3 players or other electronic devices, whereas in Japan, everyone on the subway seems to have a "3,000-page manga.
It's an exaggerated comment. The people who play with their cell phone are much more than those who read their book.
Besides a 3,000-page book is too bulky to carry. ;)

Is the scene of reading in train rare in U.S.? Though commuter train is my primary reading place.
Old 2006-10-17, 05:31
Ex-boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanatuha
Is the scene of reading in train rare in U.S.? Though commuter train is my primary reading place.
Trains are rare in the US, period. :)

It seems to be a cultural thing. Americans seem to be so obsessed with controlling their own destiny that they'd rather sit in a traffic jam for hours than hop on a train they don't own, even though the train is faster, cheaper, and actually gives you more personal freedom in terms of being able to get up, walk around, go to the toilet, and (of course) read.

Strange that a country that only became prosperous on the backs of the transcontinental railroads should hate trains so much, but there you are...
Old 2006-10-17, 07:18
inuyasha9854

Actually, I blame Eisenhower for our over-dependence on cars. Look at the Interstate System. If not for that, mass transit would probably be a little more prevalent.