gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2008-07-07, 19:32
Obsessive

Send a message via AIM to Ayato
Question Drugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enerccio View Post
I am not expecting that for narcissu either =p
I would like to play it asap
As we all brah. But I'm expecting it in time for college. Something to relax me before I go...

Btw, is anyone a pharmacist? What were your sats scores?
Is a 1450 low, as I would consider it?

Last edited by zalas; 2008-07-09 at 10:59. Reason: Split from http://forums.novelnews.net/showthread.php?t=35443
Old 2008-07-07, 21:19
Unregistered

I'm no pharmacist, but seeing as how SATs are out of 2400, you probably could have studied a little bit more for a better score.
Old 2008-07-08, 10:53
Local

Send a message via AIM to tea panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm no pharmacist, but seeing as how SATs are out of 2400, you probably could have studied a little bit more for a better score.
Unless it was scaled from the old score, out of 1600. In which case that score is considered above average for sure.

However, given that it sounds like Ayato is still in high school, then yeah, you're probably right, it was out of 2400 and that score is below average.

I'm not a pharmacist either, but I know friends that are pre-pharmacy in my college. I don't know of any programs that allow you to get into pharmacy school right out of high school (unlike medical schools which offer some high school students 7 year programs or something), but the important thing will just be you getting into college and doing well in your courses and the PCAT. There's numerous pharmacy school websites that lists requirements and basic stats of people that were allowed in, so just Google the stuff and you should get a good idea of where you need to be by the time you get out of college.
Old 2008-07-09, 03:25
Obsessive

Why do you want to be a pharmacist? IMO if you want to do pharmacy, you have to be the best of the best to get into hospital clinical pharmacy department in order to make a difference. Unless you are also interested in retail, that will be a totally differenct story.
Old 2008-07-09, 03:53
kouryuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyovermind View Post
Why do you want to be a pharmacist? IMO if you want to do pharmacy, you have to be the best of the best to get into hospital clinical pharmacy department in order to make a difference. Unless you are also interested in retail, that will be a totally differenct story.
Nah, Veterinary Medicine is far worse. Or so past experience has led me to believe. *sudder* Animal Anatomy...*Shudder* You think memorizing everything about the human body is bad, try having to do so for an array of species...which often don't even have the same parts let alone the different configurations and arrangements. Either way, for anything medical related, learn Latin. It'll help a lot.
Old 2008-07-09, 09:15
Obsessive

Send a message via AIM to Ayato

Well... I guess this means I should retake the SATs... My gpa was about a 3.7, but I don't have any APs. I'll probably just take some courses at my comunity college.
Any tips on doing better on the sats? My crit writing was 540, math was a low 470, writing was 440, mult choice was a 46 (Score range is 20-80) Essay was a 6 outta 12. (Didn't get to finish)

Oh its retail pharmacy
Old 2008-07-09, 10:15
Obsessive

/thread
Old 2008-07-09, 12:50
Unregistered

The best thing I can suggest is just to study on your own. Don't make the same mistake as me and waste your valuable time and money on SAT prep classes. Those classes end up taking up so much time that you don't even want to study anything at home, making it counterproductive. Instead, find the motivation to study at home by yourself, maybe just a little bit a day. I know I have to get myself doing that too because the score I got in March wasn't as high as I wanted. Get one of those numerous SAT prep books and just grind away.

The blue official SAT book is alright, except for the practice tests there are no answers to the questions. Barrons has a nice long vocabulary list and practice tests with answers. I have the Princeton book, but haven't really looked through it, but it got good reviews on Amazon. One of my friends was using the Grubers book and he said it was really good. Maybe go to a bookstore one day and browse for a prep book brand you like. Good luck studying.
Old 2008-07-10, 00:17
rodan

Now I kind of feel bad with my 2090 "Let's see how we do without preparation" score.
But my friends are all over the place with SAT scores.
Some with scores of ~1600's tell me I can get into any school I want.
My procrastination partner in crime got a 2300.
And... we're both stumped as to our future aspirations.

I guess I'll prepare and take another SAT. Can't hurt. I'm going to take some subject tests anyway.
Old 2008-07-10, 03:36
kouryuu

I think I had a 1480 or something like that back in the old system, without studying. My recommendation is definitely give taking the ACT a chance. I did much better on the ACT than I did on the SAT test. The ACT is also excepted by many colleges, and looked at with just as much weight as the SAT. I don't know how much it's changed, but when I took the SAT one could say that while the SAT was a test of IQ and things you wouldn't really learn in schools, the ACT is much more in line with what schools actually teach and whether or not you've learned what they taught you in schools. AP classes and tests will also help a lot.
Old 2008-07-10, 11:39
Obsessive

Send a message via AIM to Agilis

This post runs with the assumption that the SATs, and the GREs by extension, do what they're supposed to do: predict performance in college. I don't particularly agree with that, but that's a whole other debate.

Either way, the raw scores of the SATs don't particularly mean very much in a vacuum. Everyone quotes them as if they mean something, but what's useful to know is the percentile, i.e. the percent of the population who scored less than you (or at the same or less... depending on how you calculate percentiles... yet another story for another day)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAT#Raw...nd_percentiles
According to this, a composite score of 1400 is roughly the 36th %tile. meaning if you had 1400, if 100 people (random samples, blahblah, etc) lined up according to their SAT scores, on average you'd stand around #36, counting up from the worst scorer.

These numbers aren't expected to change over the years much, so long as the test doesn't particularly get harder/easier across years (some say it does, but not too much) and the distribution of the kinds of people that takes the test doesn't change very much (which is fairly reasonable to assume).

It used to be that the SATs were somewhat roughly comparable to IQ tests, but not even the mensa people have used the SATs as a standard since 1994. >_>

Anyways, of schools who use the SAT, it varies on what they do with it. Most, if not all, admissions officers know of the issues surrounding the SAT so they know not to use it as their only way of deciding. This is all the more true for competitive schools.

You have to remember that applications processes is more like a race than playing a stats game and passing cutoffs. You're in a pool of applicants competing for a limited number of seats, and your main goal is beating out this anonymous pool of people. This is more noticable at the grad level (I once applied for a phD program with 5 seats, against an applicant pool of students with MS degrees already from top schools... suffice it to say I didn't get one) but the same applies to undergrad. That's why less popular schools are 'easier' to get into, the acceptance rate is much higher from a practical point of view. Harvard HAS throw out 90% of applicants just because they get so many apps a year, good, bad or otherwise because they can't fit any more.
Old 2008-07-10, 11:50

Send a message via ICQ to zalas

Generally, SATs don't say much unless they're really bad. When I was applying for undergrad, I had a full score on the math and a 95 or so percentile on the verbal (back when it was still out of 1600) and only managed to get into Yale, Cornell and CMU and got rejected by Harvard, MIT, Stanford, and Berkeley. Most of the time, applying to undergrad is pretty much a crapshoot :p
Old 2008-07-10, 19:23
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas View Post
Generally, SATs don't say much unless they're really bad. When I was applying for undergrad, I had a full score on the math and a 95 or so percentile on the verbal (back when it was still out of 1600) and only managed to get into Yale, Cornell and CMU and got rejected by Harvard, MIT, Stanford, and Berkeley. Most of the time, applying to undergrad is pretty much a crapshoot :p
lol@at "only" Yale, Cornell, and CMU

It's due to the fact that those are the places that all the top scorers apply to, so high SAT scores won't necessarily differentiate you. Just curious, where did you end up (and are you still there)?
Old 2008-07-10, 21:12
evilpigking

Honestly I'm in agreement with zalas. I got a 1470/1600 which according to that wiki link is 98%tile and only got accepted to public schools and not even top tier instate public schools (rejected by Cal and UCLA, etc). SAT scores might help with schools that have no reputation (or a "minor" one) but when it comes to a lot of schools extracurriculars and connections are still much more important.

As far as entering a medical field, I'd be more worried about the scores you get once you enter college than anything that came before it since high school gpa and test scores are extremely low on importance. Just keep your college GPA up and try to get a job in the medical field (interning at a hospital/free clinic, train as an EMT, or work in a research lab)

*nice to see you just full copied data from the old boards or something zalas since I didn't have to register again >_>;*
Old 2008-07-12, 11:02
Addicted

You kids and your 2400 SAT scores! Back in my day, we had a max of 1600, and we LIKED it!

"Only" Yale, CMU, and Cornell, huh zalas?