gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2008-04-24, 16:00
Regular

Default Amount of text in Visual Novels

Wikipedia entry Eroge says:

"Recently, there has also been plenty of fan translators of these games. They prioritize on translating high-profile visual novel, mostly eroge that unlikely to be translated into English due to the heavy translation works and small market. Tsukihime, a doujin game by TYPE MOON, is one of these games. The total text amount in the game is on par with Lord of the Rings trilogy plus The Hobbit, and their other game, Fate/Stay Night, is three times bigger than Tsukihime."

When I saw that entry and talked about with my friends; consensus was that it was an exaggeration that Fate had that much text. But while playing Fate, I started to feel like...maybe...

So I decided to ask, in hopes of finding people that know, if that is the case. I already know that Eroge and VN's with serious stories has a lot of text, but more then three times the text in LotR+Hobbit, is it true?
Old 2008-04-24, 16:08

They actually did a word count, so yeah, it's true. I can't be bothered to find the newspost where they had that.

It took me like a week straight without any breaks to do Tsukihime, and both translated routes of Fate/Stay Night took me a week. And given that there are three...
Old 2008-04-24, 16:39
Posts way too much

Fate/stay Night contains about ~12mb of text. Tsukihime contains about 4mb of text. That sounds about right.

Clannad's only a bit longer (1.2x?) than Fate/stay Night in terms of raw text, right? But it seems to be a lot longer because FSN's an NVL, while Clannad's an AVG (and thus shows much less text at a time)

Actually, I have no idea. I do know, however, that Fate/stay Night took me quite a bit longer to finish than Clannad did, but that's probably because Nasu's a total pain to read.

Last edited by Asceai; 2008-04-24 at 16:56.
Old 2008-04-24, 17:28
Local

With regard to Tsukihime, does that figure exclude repeated text?

Quote:
I already know that Eroge and VN's with serious stories has a lot of text
There's often a lot of text. However, visual novels can be ridiculously bloated, with plenty of unnecessary (repetitive) exposition and mundane events (daily meals? Pointless arguments between characters five times a day? Actually, the whole day-to-day setup seems built for making a script needlessly long) that a skilled novelist might excise. Type-Moon is one such offender.

In that sense, the word count might be humongous, without a corresponding amount of substantial content. Maybe there's some kind of "bigger is better" mentality among galge marketers and consumers. The mainstream game industry already suffers from that kind of problem.

Last edited by rg4619; 2008-04-24 at 17:31.
Old 2008-04-24, 18:51
Posts way too much

I think I can like both kinds. Typically what you see as mundane is generally just expanded character development. Because I feel pretty much ALL novels I read rush character development, I don't mind it in this way. I shall continue reading my ridiculously long eroges, because they work very nicely at filling in time.

However, I also appreciate the kind that minori seem to be practicing nowadays.. making the script short and sweet, with no unnecessary dialogue or description.
Old 2008-04-24, 20:19
kouryuu

It's true, nothing helps expand character like showing their everyday lives, and the entire point behind most of these games are the characters so I think it's only to be expected. Furthermore if you want to discuss bloating of text with unnecessary description, go back and read Lord of the Rings--then keep note of how many times Tolkien describes the scenery in excruciating detail, even when it's the same scenery as several pages ago.

Furthermore, part of the industry's justification for the price of these games is their length. So while Type-Moon doesn't, I can imagine some people add the everyday meals and arguments purely to lengthen the game.
Old 2008-04-24, 21:43
Posts way too much

I don't really understand why, personally. ef -the first tale- was priced cheaply (6,800, I think), the upcoming type-moon Witch on the Holy Night is the same. I'd be happy to pay full price for them, though, because the quality really is more important.

And I do re-read VNs =p
Old 2008-04-24, 22:26
Obsessive

Tsukihime - 611 000 words
Fate/Stay Night - UBW + Fate + Prologue = 420 000

asceai: you really can't take filesize as length measure.
Old 2008-04-24, 22:58
Posts way too much

Hmm, that would have them coming out to approximately the same size.

Someone did a wordcount on the (english translated) Clannad before.. anyone remember what it was?

EDIT: Okay, from a quick browse of the Internets, LOTR is 467,662 words. Three times bigger? No way. Not even Clannad. That said, I'm sure there's longer than Clannad out there, somewhere. Nobody ever actually quotes Clannad as being the longest VN, usually just something like 'Key's longest work'.

Last edited by Asceai; 2008-04-24 at 23:07.
Old 2008-04-25, 03:06
Regular

Thanks for the help everyone, for clarifying this, when we had this discussion before we didn't have any references.

And I agree kouryuu's words, the scenery descriptions on LotR still haunt me to this day...

Last edited by EchoMateria; 2008-04-25 at 03:59. Reason: Just got reminded by a friend about the third path in Fate, making my first statement in this post obsolete.
Old 2008-04-25, 04:37
Obsessive

Asceai - make a wordcount script. I have mine for both nscripter and kirikiri (both in python).
Old 2008-04-25, 05:53
Unregistered

I'm curious - how do you even automatically count words in Japanese text?
Are we talking English translation figures here?
Old 2008-04-25, 06:04
Airrider

Yeah, that's on my mind too.
Old 2008-04-25, 06:49
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm curious - how do you even automatically count words in Japanese text?
Are we talking English translation figures here?
They were talking about the ones translated to English so far.
Old 2008-04-25, 08:51
Obsessive

Send a message via AIM to Agilis

For sense of scale, the current breakdown of script lengths using unix wc and a lazy grep for English lines in the Narcissu project are as follows:
Narci2: 40952 'words' (wc's definition of word)
Narci1: 23351 'words'
Misc: ~1000 'words'

To get any meaning out of these length statistics in general, you have to account about 5-10% error from simple translator differences. There was a 5% difference between me and Haeleth alone, with me being wordier just because that's how I write.

In Japanese publishing, they don't use words as a unit since words don't exist, but they appear to go by character count.