gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2007-09-05, 11:11
Gabest

Default Never7 translation request

I'm looking for people to help translating the script.dat of never7 to english. Any volunteers? The text was already extracted, I just need someone to replace the japanese parts.
Old 2007-09-05, 12:46
Addicted

Send a message via AIM to Misu Send a message via MSN to Misu Send a message via Yahoo to Misu

Hrmm..., general requests don't fare so well..., maybe we should make a job board of sorts for projects so translators can ask for hackers on X game and hackers can post Y game is hacked for any translators who are interested...?

But as for Never7, I wouldn't jump to the conclusion yet to translate the game, as there is still a potential Hirameki license of it hanging in there air.

I'll dig around and see what I can find out about how that is progressing.
Old 2007-09-05, 13:21
Unregistered

> I just need someone to replace the japanese parts.

'Just', eh? ...

> Mizu

Yeah, I think a job postings board would be good. It would be low traffic, but it *should* be low traffic I guess...
It would keep this kind of thing away from the main forum and mockery, and could make an FAQ for it that explains how to make a good post. (I think that thread a while back about someone wanting helpers for his OEL project might be a good starting point)

A sticky with a title of something like "localisation is 1% hacking and 99% translation!" or something to that effect might help too... ;P
Old 2007-09-05, 14:16
Regular

there's no point asking for a translation request because hirameki is already in the process of negotiating the rights to it

edit: beaten, teaches me not to read the posts in the thread before posting
Old 2007-09-05, 15:18
Gabest

Don't know about hirameki's plans, duke nukem forever or the ff7 rewrite for the ps3 for that matter, but it's not much different from fansubbing an anime, even easier since the text is given and it needs no timing. I came to seek help because someone recommended this board. I had low hopes of course, but asking is easy.
Old 2007-09-05, 16:31
Local

Yes, we know how translation goes, we dont need to know that the text is given to us (REALLY?!)
________
Baby Mac

Last edited by fireshark; 2011-03-09 at 08:28.
Old 2007-09-05, 16:35
Addicted

Send a message via AIM to Misu Send a message via MSN to Misu Send a message via Yahoo to Misu

Yeah, I'll look into adding a simple job board of sorts once we get the phpBB3 port complete and the userclass made so that logins are integrated into the phpBB3 user system.

Once thats setup, I think requests like these will be able to be managed much easier, cleaner, and more organized fashion then just randomly posting on the forums.
Old 2007-09-06, 08:16
Gabest

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireshark View Post
Yes, we know how translation goes, we dont need to know that the text is given to us (REALLY?!)
Well, it took me a few days to unpack that script.dat, it wasn't as easy as you make it sound like.
Old 2007-09-06, 08:49
Obsessive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabest View Post
Well, it took me a few days to unpack that script.dat, it wasn't as easy as you make it sound like.
Well, it would take a few months to translate that script, it wouldn't be as easy as you make it sound like.
Old 2007-09-06, 09:32
Chewy

I think you're getting unfavorable responses because you sound like you are belittling the job of a translator, which I'm sure is not what you intended. A quick clarification of that will go a long way.

As for the translation request, I don't think anyone here will want to take any potential business away from Hirameki, nor do they want to take on a project that will be obsolete if and when Hirameki acquires the license. There are much better games out there that are much less likely to be licensed to put effort into.
Old 2007-09-06, 10:34

Send a message via ICQ to zalas

As a suggestion, if you've managed to figure out the technical side of script insertion and extraction, it would make your request a bit more palatable if you posted some screenshots of work you've done. That way, it gives people some assurance that you have actually put time into this.
Old 2007-09-06, 12:20
Obsessive

Send a message via AIM to Agilis

Maybe this'll prove useful when the new board comes up, so I'll write it here now.

Looking for good staff is probably the most important part of working on a project, arguably even more important than actually Doing the project, since without the right people around, that's the end of things right there.

The problem is finding good staff. Because these require skills, there are usually lots of people who don't fit, and some people who do fit the requirements. It only gets worse when you need more and more skill.

In VN-translation world, there are very few translators, you can probably count us using both hands and maybe one foot. There are then slightly more people that work on engines (because a number of translators double up). Even crappy clueless translators/hackers are rare compared to the average joe reading a forum with no relevant skills.

This is what we'd call a buyer's market. Skilled labor is in short demand, and so, it's up to the guy starting the project to "sell" their project and attract the staff they need.

Selling is important. Translators will spend months working on a script (A 'measily' nscript of 700kB has easily kept two translators busy for 4 months and counting *cough* Full games can be more than double or triple that.). Meaning, unless we're convinced we love the project enough to commit that much time to finish the project, why should we even volunteer? We could be playing fun new games every week instead of spending months on one until we're sick of it and can recite parts in our sleep.

From here, you need to sell the project to us, is the story good? How long is it? Is the writing easy, complex, a disaster?

But! That's not all! You have to sell YOURSELF to potential staff too.

Spending months on a project means that we'd be spending months dealing with the rest of the staff. Are you trustworthy? Will YOU disappear after a month? Are you actually going to do any other work, or are you just sitting around waiting for the script and taking all the credit for being 'the lead'? Are you a slave driver, or someone who disappears during important times? Are you too annoying or stupid to work with?

No one's getting paid here, so we are under no obligation to take any crap from anyone, and we can just leave. Most of us might may not even volunteer and take the risk that you're a jackass, so you must convince us otherwise.

All these same conditions apply for translators looking for hackers, or just about anything else really.

Why do you think most recruiting happens through networking and not job postings? Because people have a better idea of who they're dealing with, before they sink their time into something.
Old 2007-09-06, 12:32
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabest View Post
吸い出しについて。前スレに書いたけどもう一度書いておく。
ムービーOP以外の奴は先頭1バイトを00にすればTMPGEncで読み込める。
Script.datはなんの芸もないただのテキストファイル(先頭にゴミがあるけど)
他のアーカイブは(キャラクタや背景BGM,SE,ボイス)は最初にファイル名がずらっと並び、そのあとファイル連結。
それらに詳しい香具師解析頼む。
もしよければテンプレ化してくれ。

Sounds terribly easy to... "unpack" the text to me.
Oh, and that was the work of about forty seconds with Google.
Old 2007-09-06, 13:15
Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Sounds terribly easy to... "unpack" the text to me.
Oh, and that was the work of about forty seconds with Google.
Now now..., I'm sure Gabest didnt know there was already a tool available for unpacking the Never7 script files and he probably started from scratch on it..., in which case it could have been conceivably difficult, depending on the skill of the hacker.

Let's drop the topic of how hard or easy it is to do translation/hacking and return this to an preferably polite and informative thread.
Old 2007-09-06, 14:08
Unregistered

Er, apparently you don't even need a tool because it's just a regular text file with the file extension changed and some rubbish data dumped in at the top.