gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > Technical Issues

Technical Issues For bug reports, problem solving, and help running Japanese software.

Old 2009-07-11, 23:52
Unregistered

Default Finding text from Japanese files

Sorry, this isn't really VN related, but this is the only place I can think of where people could have an idea about this. In short, I have a bunch of .txt files, encoded in UTF-8, containing Japanese text. I want to be able to find strings of text from these files quickly, akin to UNIX 'grep' or Windows 'find'.

I'm running Windows XP under Japanese locales, and the problem seems to be that 'cmd' and everything one normally runs under it, such as 'find', tries to interpret my files as SHIFT-JIS, so they come out as gibberish and I can't find the correct string, because it does read my own input correctly. I tried converting a few of my files into SHIFT-JIS and I can search from them apparently, but I would rather not do this to all of my files.
Old 2009-07-12, 00:33
dsp2003

Use alternative Shell, such as FAR, Total Commander etc.
Old 2009-07-13, 23:37
Obsessive

Doesn't Agent Ransack support UTF8?
Old 2009-07-24, 15:32
Rasqual Twilight

@Message: Last time I tried, it didn't seem to work.

I have a more cumbersome method using a "Find in Files" feature of a hexeditor, but nothing automated in a CLI. Maybe pcregrep (from PCRE) could help ?

EDIT:
Upon browsing my download folder, I stumbled upon a utility called grepfolder. It doesn't work on the commandline, but supposedly does what you're looking for.

Last edited by Rasqual Twilight; 2009-07-25 at 05:59.