gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2006-04-03, 08:29
Obsessive

Default Visual Novels Do a Thumb Good

I've been having thumb pain lately(maybe thumb tendonitis), and it hurts more when I play the intense Sengoku Musou 2.

But with the auto scrolling text in Clannad, my hands are totally free! It's much less stressful on my thumb. The only time I have to touch the controller is to pause to look up a word or pick a choice for brancing paths.

Is the auto scrolling text option a new feature to recent visual novels? Or has it always been around?

I'm capable of reading the text at 3/4 scroll speed, the max speed is too fast for me. I suppose I need more practice.
Old 2006-04-03, 08:44
Ex-boss

The oldest game I've seen that could use it is from 2000; it probably wasn't the first. So it's safe to say that it's been around for a while.
Old 2006-04-03, 13:17
Obsessive

Send a message via MSN to Carl

Works good during those cinematic moments in AIR.
Old 2006-04-03, 15:45
Obsessive

When playing a game in Japanese I usually have to look up a word on every third or fourth line, which unfortunately makes the auto-scrolling more trouble then it's worth =(
Old 2006-04-04, 01:58

Heh, I have to decipher the kanji first ^^;;
I really totally suck at kanji, so I tend to not play as many visual novels as i'd like to. :P
Old 2006-04-04, 02:09
Addicted

I've always thought of auto-scroll as a rather ill-conceived idea, as it generally pauses for the same amount of time on each paragraph irrespective of whether it's an incoherent slab of Kinokoese or just someone saying 'Okay'.

I find this whole experience pretty frustrating, as I keep having to alternatively:
(1) jump back to read a whole paragraph I couldn't catch in time; or
(2) wait for it to catch up with me when a short paragraph comes up.

Further, in games with lazy programming, it tends to cause the action scenes to play out at an odd-looking pace, too.
Old 2006-04-04, 02:26
Ex-boss

Hmm? Certainly as implemented by RealLive that's not the case: it pauses for a fixed base time plus an additional time proportional to the length of the preceding paragraph. Both are customisable, so you can tune it to suit your reading speed.

I tend not to use this kind of feature, so I don't know for sure, but I imagine other systems are similar.
Old 2006-04-04, 02:31
Addicted

Ah, I must confess that I haven't even tried using auto-scroll in any games I've played for some time now.
If this is standard for modern engines, then it's definitely a welcome improvement.
Old 2006-04-04, 05:06
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeleth
Hmm? Certainly as implemented by RealLive that's not the case: it pauses for a fixed base time plus an additional time proportional to the length of the preceding paragraph. Both are customisable, so you can tune it to suit your reading speed.
Ren'Py does it the same way, although the times aren't separately customizable, but instead the time taken is proportional to setting * (text-length + C) where C is a constant, arbitrarily set by me to 25 characters.

Would it be possible to take a screenshot of the RealLive screen that has the auto-forward mode settings? I want to see if there's a way to expose both controls to the user that isn't horribly complicated.
Old 2006-04-04, 05:29
Ex-boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyTom
Would it be possible to take a screenshot of the RealLive screen that has the auto-forward mode settings? I want to see if there's a way to expose both controls to the user that isn't horribly complicated.
I don't know about not being complicated. The basic dialog box looks like this:

(Games often replace it with a more aesthetically pleasing custom dialog, but the fundamental layout is usually the same.)

Most of it can be ignored. The essential elements are the two sliders, where the upper one sets the time per character, and the lower one sets the base time. Then below that you have a box where it shows how long a screen of 10 characters would be displayed for.

The formula displayed is slightly different from yours - "wait time = (text length * character time) + base time". This is, I think, slightly more flexible than your system - it's possible to set a fixed delay regardless of screen length, for example - but I doubt the difference is significant.