gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2006-07-11, 16:23

Default Ever 17

I just finish the Coco ending for Ever 17, and I just cant believe how good is this game... its nowhere advertised as much as it deserved to be. Its easily the best visual novel Ive played, and surelly one of the best games. Did anyone played Never 7 or Remember 11 ? Are they as good as this one? (as much subjective as "good" can be : ) ).
I sure hope this sells well.. it deserves.
Old 2006-07-11, 16:50
Local

Its a great game, probably the best of the type currently available in English to date. Unfortunately, nobody is actually buying it. Hirameki (the publishers) are losing money on it, so there is pretty much no chance of them working the other games in the series.

So if you like the game, spread the word! Get your friends to buy it too!
Old 2006-07-11, 18:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by procyon

So if you like the game, spread the word! Get your friends to buy it too!
Yes! Im doing it :) Its a pity Hirameki-int itself doesnt ship to foreign countries, they are offering a nice combo, Ever 17 plus (among others) Hourglass of Summer. In the end, I bought with Jast, since it ships to Brazil.
Old 2006-07-11, 18:22
Obsessive

Default Re: Ever 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koki
I just finish the Coco ending for Ever 17, and I just cant believe how good is this game... its nowhere advertised as much as it deserved to be. Its easily the best visual novel Ive played, and surelly one of the best games.
Isn't it, though? The only problem is that trying to explain Why it's so good involves massive, game-ruining spoilers.
Old 2006-07-11, 18:27
Regular

Default Ever 17

Heheheh. Hirameki doesn't get anywhere near the amount of credit they deserve. Besides a few print advertisements in the Right Stuf catalog and NewType, they don't get any publicity beyond word-of-mouth and internet buzz. That's a crying shame. Rampant piracy on torrent sites doesn't help them any either.

Anyway, since you liked Ever 17, you might want to check out Hirameki's other offerings. Their full catalog is as follows:

AnimePlay PC
-Ai Yori Aoshi
-Ever 17 -Out of Infinity-
-Animamundi -Dark Alchemist-

AnimePlay DVD (PC DVD-ROM, PS2, X-Box, or regular DVD player)
-Phantom of Inferno*
-Day of Love
-Amusement Park
-Tea Society of a Witch*
-Hourglass of Summer*
-Ishika & Honori
-Exodus Guilty*
-Dragonia

You might like to know that Hirameki is having a special on visual novels over the summer (http://direct.hirameki-int.com/index.html). If you order Ai Yori Aoshi, Ever 17, Animamundi, Phantom, Hourglass, or Tea Society, you get any of the titles I marked with an asterisk for free.

Just a couple of notes based on my observations:
-Ai Yori Aoshi requires you to have seen the anime with the same name (or its manga adaption).
-Animamundi apparently contains heavy shonen-ai themes, so you might want to stay away if you're a homophobe.
-Phantom of Inferno is excellent despite its crappy presentation (and can be purchased bundled with its mediocre anime adaption at Right Stuf).
-Hourglass of Summer is great, though its anime adaption (Natsuiro na Sunadokei) blows. I haven't finished the original game yet, but the little I did play through was very nice. If you feel like watching the anime, you can get it at AnimeSuki. If you check it out, I advise only watching the first episode, as the second episode (which is also the finale) stinks.
-Day of Love feels very incomplete due the removal of a number of scenes. Only two of the routes in the game were good, in my opinion.

Aside from that, I hear Exodus Guilty is quite good. RPGFan has reviews for many of the titles I listed, if you want to check them out. Himeya is also selling a number of visual novels (Eve Burst Error, among others) for a mere $9.99. Eve was pretty good, so that's quite a bargain. Note that some of the other titles contain adult content (including Eve's sequel, Adam -The Double Factor-, and Eve's semi-prequel, Love Potion).

<Shameless plug imminent...>

Spread the word, people! Hirameki reported that Ever 17 had rather lackluster sales, and that the chances of Never 7 and Remember 11 (as well as the Memories Off series) coming out in North America are pretty slim as a result. I've already gotten a few of my friends to check out Ever 17, so you should be able to do the same.
Old 2006-07-11, 20:43
rodan

Man, I'd love to buy Ever17 if it ever pops up in a retail store.
My parents don't seem to like buying games online.
Wasn't Ever17 available at some Best Buys?
Old 2006-07-11, 20:46

Amusement Park this week is $11.99 at TRSI (until 7/12 at 11:59 pm)

Here are other deals (for 18+ games) http://anime.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=2931

New deals go up on Thursday.

Oh and you can buy Ever 17 at Fry's Electronics (they put it in with the Anime DVDs and not the PC games). Fry's carries other titles too (including Ai Yori Aoshi). They don't have it at Best Buy though. Best Buy currently only has EXODUS Guilty Vol. 1 -Present-. They'll also carry EXODUS Guilty Vol. 2 -Past- in September when it's officially released.

Here is the Ever 17 OP movie: http://anime.advancedmn.com/media.ph...=689&medtype=2
Old 2006-07-12, 00:15
G005-a

On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd probably rate Ever17 somewhere between 6 and 7 (this refers to the English version, of course. Without competency in Japanese, I can't easily judge the source material). I don't think the game is the masterpiece many players make it out to be, but it's still an enjoyable read.

Anyway, which scenarios do you all like best? My order of preference would probably be something like this:

1. Sora, Yuu (Sora gets the edge in terms of scenario, but I think I like the Yuu script a bit better)
2. Tsugumi
3. Coco
4. Sara

I find most of the Sora and Yuu-specific scenes to be nicely done. In the case of Tsugumi, I generally like the story ideas. However, the quality of the dialogue during heavy, melodramatic moments really bothers me. IMO, it's really awkward and sloppy, often coming across like (bad) high-school creative writing. Granted, the text is probably no worse than that of many video games, but it's still hard for me to read it without cringing.

The Sara scenario/script is a train wreck (I really like the character though), although I have to admit that I didn't read it very carefully. I can't say that the Coco scenario did much for me either, especially from the middle onward.
Old 2006-07-12, 02:25
omgwtflolz

Bleh.

I felt that the plot twists in Koko's route were, while handled pretty well, bloody ridiculous.

Also, did they ever explain the seitaihannou: 1 at the end of all of the other routes?
Old 2006-07-12, 04:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by G005-a

1. Sora, Yuu (Sora gets the edge in terms of scenario, but I think I like the Yuu script a bit better)
2. Tsugumi
3. Coco
4. Sara
Id go for:

1. Sora
2. Tsugumi, Sara
3. Coco
4. Yuu

I put Coco on third due to the fact that in spite of yvxvat gur jubyr Oyvax Jvaxry nep, V guvax vg jnf n ovg fgerpurq. Ohg vs V whqtr bayl gur cneg jurer jr svaq bhg jub vf Fnen naq Ubxhgbf Zbgure naq gur pbaarpgvba orgjrra gur Xvqf fpranevb naq Gnxrfuvf fpranevb, then it would surelly be the best one.
Old 2006-07-12, 05:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtflolz
Also, did they ever explain the seitaihannou: 1 at the end of all of the other routes?
It seems to me that it was registering Oyvax Jvaxry/Ubxhgb. Erzrzore jura va Gnxrfuvf fpranevb, qhevat gur gnt tnzr, gurl pna urne Ubxhgb fgvyy pbhagvat juvyr Gur Xvq vf jvgu gurz?
Creuncf gur "frvgnvunaabh: 1" checbfr jnf obgu gb grnfr gur cynlre gb xrrc cynlvat, fvapr fbzrguvat ryfr fgvyy jnf tbvat ba, naq gb fubj gur yvar orgjrra gur gjb riragf va gvzr jnf ernyyl guva qhr gb OJ cerfrapr.
Old 2006-07-12, 09:40
G005-a

Quote:
I felt that the plot twists in Koko's route were, while handled pretty well, bloody ridiculous.
I'll have to agree with that. More often than not, I couldn't believe how incredibly dumb the twists and revelations were. The route does tie everything together, but I definitely prefer some of the other scenarios on their own.
Old 2006-07-12, 10:31
Regular

Default Scenarios and Writing

Yeah, you have a point about how abrupt and nonsensical some of the revelations in Coco's route are. What do you expect when they're trying to cram the plot of four different storylines into one while eliminating redundancy?

I have a feeling that the sloppy writing was both the fault of KID's original script and Hirameki's translators. Good translations require good writers, and Hirameki doesn't seem to have many of them. I'm pretty tolerant of sappy writing, but I'll admit that some bits needed a lot of work. The guys at NNL and Insani, on the other hand... Well, I can't wait to play through Wind and see if their claims about the writer are true.

Personally, I liked Tsugumi's ending best. Coco's seemed a little messed up (and ultimately too happy), but I loved how they suddenly yanked the rug out from under me. I didn't like Sora's scenario beyond the second carrousel scene (gubhtu V jnf xvaqn fhecevfrq ol cflpubgvp Gfhthzv). You's story was decent, but the ending needed a little work. Last, but not least, Sara's scenario was underdeveloped, which is quite a pity. Exactly why where Sara and Tsugumi fighting?

If I had the time, I would love to pull an NNL and rewrite the script to fix the typos and eliminate the cheese (plus, the joke at the end of You's scenario was downright terrible). The script format is pretty easy to figure out, though the legality of doing something like that would be questionable. The amount of time, though, is something I simply cannot afford at the moment.

Practically every Hirameki title I've tried had localization issues (writing, typos), but as the only non-adult localizer since Himeya (Eve), I'm letting it slide. I try to look past the localization and understand what the author was trying to accomplish.

On an unrelated note, I find it funny that my asking the staff at DATorrents to remove Ever 17 resulted in a bunch of half-truths and offensive remarks. I doubt I'd ever want to post in their forums again.
Old 2006-07-12, 10:35
Regular

Fgvyy, gur snpg gung gur tnzr vaqverpgyl vzcyvrf gung Oyvpx Jvaxry vf npghnyyl lbh -gur cynlre- jnf irel shaal. "Lbh rkvfg orpnhfr V nz jngpuvat/cynlvat guvf tnzr".

V sryg eboorq, gubhtu. V jebgr n fubeg fgbel pnyyrq "Anivtngbe" gung qrnyg jvgu n fvzvyne ragvgl - nygubhtu qribvq bs nyy rzbgvba, naq hansenvq bs bhe havirefr'f "tbqf".
Old 2006-07-12, 11:01
Obsessive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudio
Fgvyy, gur snpg gung gur tnzr vaqverpgyl vzcyvrf gung Oyvpx Jvaxry vf npghnyyl lbh -gur cynlre- jnf irel shaal. "Lbh rkvfg orpnhfr V nz jngpuvat/cynlvat guvf tnzr".
(For the love of god do not Un-rot this if you plan on playing the game at some point.)

Unu, lrnu. Zl gubhtug hcba gung eriryngvba jnf "V ybbx qbja hcba lbh chal 2-qvzrafvbany orvatf!"