gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > Production & Help

Production & Help For discussions regarding production aspects, especially localisation, of visual novels and related games.

Old 2008-06-17, 10:49

Smile Alice Soft Translation Tool

Hi, gemot-cubes :)
After lots of pulling my hair out, I managed to figure out how to decompile, edit, and rebuild Alicesoft games for System3. I created a tool that enables one to extract the text messages from the games, edit it in a word processing program (even Notepad works) and insert it back into the game.

I call my program the Alice Soft Translation Tool (ASTT) and have included some screenshots of the results below. The last one is of the extracted script being edited in a freeware word processor.

I guess there are two questions I have. Is there any particular reason for the lack of AS translation interest, especially since a lot of their games are now free? ( http://retropc.net/alice/ )
Would anyone possibly be interested in working on a translation of one of the smaller games or know anyone who might be? Any technical barriers should be removed, and I'd be more than happy to work on any that might pop up.

If anyone is interested in how to do Alicesoft translation, I would be very happy to send them links to the existing Japanese tools and ASTT that makes it easy (technically anyway) :) It was a frustrating journey learning how to do all this, but I can explain how to do it very easily step by step. Please send me a PM if you are interested.

Thank you!

Edit: Added updated ASTT again, now includes game-specific doc and a progress checking tool :) Look later in this thread for v.0.3 of ASTT.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen1.png
Views:	1529
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	58   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen2.png
Views:	1700
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	59   Click image for larger version

Name:	script1.png
Views:	1520
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	60  

Last edited by toolbox; 2008-11-24 at 17:10. Reason: added a little more info
Old 2008-06-17, 11:21
Obsessive

Send a message via AIM to Agilis

Spiffy, though I imagine this thread will be moved to the tech forum soon.

As usual, the number of interesting projects far exceeds the number of actual translators available. However, with tools already created, the chances that someone who was somewhat interested, but too intimidated by the technical aspects might rise to the occasion now.

-----
Also, as I'm not an engine hacker, I've been unable to write anything about the topic for my own translation project articles. If you'd like to share your experiences, could I ask you to either write up some documents that I can edit and post onto Neechin (with credit to you of course) to start some small documentation for this sort of work, or put up your experiences somewhere so I could link to them?

In my perception the documentation for this sort of thing is pretty thin. I have a vague memory that gp32 has a few pieces up, and there's probably a bit in other places I don't know about, so I'd like to encourage more sharing in places people can find it.
Old 2008-06-17, 12:07
Obsessive

any chances that it will work for alicesoft 4 (sengoku)
Old 2008-06-17, 13:30

Thank you for the encouragement :)

The editing tools only work for System3.x, so games that run System4 like Sengoku Rance will not work. I don't know what utilities there are for System4, so it might be possible in the future. I focused all of my work on System3 since most of the games released as freeware runs on it.

I will start writing everything up tonight :)
Old 2008-06-17, 14:28
Regular

If you can tell which Alice Soft games are for System3, or which games that you have successfully tested your tools for, people interested on those games might show up.

Checking AliceSoftWiki reveals that the list of their games is a bit long, knowing which games from this list are going to be easily editable would help.
Old 2008-06-17, 16:07
Posts way too much

Currently, I think the only two engines that are, at this stage, easily/without thought hacked are nscripter and kirikiri/kag titles (providing you can get around the latter's various encryption methods whenever they exist).

After that, I suppose a close second would be reallive titles, which tend to still require a bit of effort even if all the existing reallive tools work.

Being able to get alicesoft's titles onto this list is a Very Good Thing, especially since they have so many titles. =p
Old 2008-06-17, 18:18
Regular

Comic Maker and Yuuki Novel are also pretty easy to hack.
Maybe we just need zalas to make a public page for VASTT...
Old 2008-06-17, 21:00
Posts way too much

I wonder if Hyper Novel System is easy to work with. Script extraction and replacement certainly seems to be the easiest thing ever, the only problems I'd imagine could ever appear would be to do with getting halfwidth to work.

Might go try it out now.
Old 2008-06-17, 21:26
Posts way too much

Heh, that was easy. Problems are the exact problems you'd expect, for the most part.

- Wrong character spacing. Probably can be fixed in the executable. Haven't really looked.
- Some characters used, like the period/full stop are used in the engine for other things. Those ideographic full stops the Japanese use (the 。) look okay, and could be used instead if anyone cared.
- Wordwrapping of course doesn't exist, but with fixedwidth that's easy enough to do on the script insertion level automatically.
Old 2008-06-17, 22:02

I have written up a little guide and put the tools in the attachment. Use at your own risk (just saying this because it's standard :p ) and distribute as you like. The ASTT is source code so you can mush it and smoosh it however you want.

I just want people to translate the games, dammit! :D

Let me know if there are any problems/questions/issues/etc, please!

I am more than willing to provide any technical support I can if someone is willing to try a translation :)

Last edited by toolbox; 2008-06-21 at 15:55.
Old 2008-06-18, 11:03
Obsessive

Send a message via AIM to Agilis

Spiffy, I'll take those files and have a look tonight. Depending on how much needs to be done, it'd be up in a few days. Probably. I have to leave town for a day or two starting tomorrow so it'd be longer than I'd like in either case.
Old 2008-06-19, 17:56

I discovered a little bug with apostrophes in the insertion script, but it is nothing that will ruin translation work anyone does. I will stamp the bug out and post an updated insertion tool soon :-)
Old 2008-06-21, 15:59

I fixed the bugs in the insertion script mentioned above. (posted attachment to the first post)

Is there anyone possibly interested or who has any leads? If any of the games require more technical work, I'm glad to support!

(Also, I feel bad spamming this board every time - is there somewhere more appropriate, perhaps?)
Old 2008-06-26, 22:52
Visitor

Greetings all, skippy22/toolbox referred me here about System 3.x translation stuff.

I would be very much interested in helping out. However, due to time constraints (I have a job that takes up about 12 hours on the weekdays), the best way I can help is probably proof-reading or help giving advice on the translations of specific phrases that the main translators are having trouble with.

Toushin Toshi 2 would be a great project to work on, especially since Alice Soft is has announced TT3 as their next game! (ideally I'd also like to help out with translation of TT, but that game is only for system 3 and not system 3.x).

Let me know where/how I may be of service!

-Afker, fanatical AliceSoft fan

ps. The main engine families are:
* System 3
* System 3.x (refers to 3.5~3.9)
* System 4.x (refers to 4.0 onwards)

edit: looks like I'm mistaken. Toshin Toshi does have a system 3.x version. Great!
Old 2008-06-27, 01:10
Addicted

D:

Why the necromancy, Alicesoft? Where is Rance VIII?!