gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > Technical Issues

Technical Issues For bug reports, problem solving, and help running Japanese software.

Old 2008-02-15, 17:20

Default ONScripter for PSP - Source code?

Sorry for bothering, but I really have no idea where to post this.

It seems that there is a really nice PSP port of ONScripter here. Thing is, from what I can gather, it seem that he only releases binaries. Funny thing is, he's required to post the source code, because ONScripter is released under the GPL license, right? I mean, it's ironic, because he even includes a copy of the GPL with the zips he distributes. Most likely he can't read English at all, because he obviously never read that license himself.

I'd really like to get the source code in order to compile ONScripter with 1 byte character support, so I could play English translations on the PSP. Sources are (of course) available in the official site, but the PSP portion of the code is outdated, broken and missing a lot of PSP specific features that the guy I linked above added, like reading settings from a ons.ini, adjusting screen size/resolution, button mapping, etc. All of that stuff is present in his binaries (which only supports scripts using SJIS encoding), but missing in all the source releases I can get my hands on.

What I'm asking is, can someone help me contacting this guy? I don't speak Japanese at all and even if I wanted, I can't post on his blog in English -- I've tried several times and it always triggers some sort of spam detection. It's particularly frustrating because it would only take a one line change to the Makefile to get what I wanted. The alternative is to get the official source tarballs and reinvent the wheel -- this shouldn't happen in GPL projects!

I seriously hope I'm mistaken and that he does post sources somewhere in a place I can't find due to my inability to read Japanese or that it's some sort of mistake (like him being unaware of what the GPL means). I could try emailing Studio OGA directly and ask them to contact that other guy, but I don't know if they know English either...

Last edited by Krade; 2008-04-27 at 15:45.
Old 2008-02-15, 18:34
Posts way too much

Ogapee understands some English, actually.
Old 2008-02-15, 19:19

I suppose I could email Ogapee, but I kind of wanted the confirmation from someone who can actually read that blog that the guy behind the PSP port doesn't actually have his sources available anywhere, before I email Ogapee and tell him "Oh, hey, this guy you link to on your site is using releasing modifications of your code in binary form only, could you talk to him and do something about it?" and possibly make myself look like a fool.
Old 2008-02-17, 03:24
Local

Send a message via AIM to pbsaffran Send a message via Skype™ to pbsaffran

Quote:
I'd really like to get the source code in order to compile ONScripter with 1 byte character support,
It already does support 1 byte character. Just write "`" at the beginning of the script line.
Old 2008-02-17, 23:57

You mean a ` before all lines that display English text? I was testing with OMGWTFOTL, which already has ` all over the place and it doesn't work.

It crashes with this
Code:
 **** Script error, Array No. is not declared
[`"Yousoeagertobuythegoddamnfarm,suckah] ***
You sure you're not thinking of ONScripter-en?

Using the latest binary from here, which incidentally has GPLに従って下さい。 on the bottom of the page, which Google translates as "Please follow the GPL." He even contributes back sometimes, which makes me believe that his sources must be there somewhere and I just can't find them. Is there any SVN/CVS repository for onscripter?
Old 2008-02-18, 16:37
Local

Send a message via AIM to pbsaffran Send a message via Skype™ to pbsaffran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krade View Post
You sure you're not thinking of ONScripter-en?
As far as I can see on Ogapee's page, the backquote method is not specific to a certain client. I simply assumed the functionalities of the one I use were the same.
Maybe the PSP client wasn't compiled with that functionality because the users generally don't need it?
Old 2008-02-24, 20:00
Visitor

I seem to recall tormtorm posting about someone pilfering his source and releasing it as their own with no changes, hence no more source on the site. I believe you can get it if you ask. I know I had a copy of the (old) source around here, tried to compile it with 1BYTE on, but failed miserably.

pbsaffran is right, tormtorm's PSP port is simply not compiled with ENABLE_1BYTE_CHAR. Several of us have posted comments there asking for it to be turned on, but it seems to have fallen on deaf ears. Or tormtorm doesn't speak/read english. Either way, still no 1Byte support.

It really is an awesome port, if only we could get him to add that one little flag. Runs Narcissu perfectly, especially the new ME builds.
Old 2008-02-25, 10:14

I'd ask if I could post there, but I can't post in his blog in English without getting caught by the spam filter. It's a shame that he's doing something so... un-GPLish.

I guess I'll try emailing him in English (only to be ignored) or ask a Japanese person to email him for me. If I can't find anyone, I'm really going to have to bother Ogapee to ask tormtorm for me.
Old 2008-03-02, 19:35
Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPLv2
b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three years, to give any third party, for a charge no more than your cost of physically performing source distribution, a complete machine-readable copy of the corresponding source code, to be distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange; or,
If he's giving out the source code upon request, then he's not violating the GPL, though he might be a bit iffy on including the offer of source code with the program.
Old 2008-03-03, 05:20

Yep, I know the GPL allows that. But the language barrier makes this suck.
Old 2008-03-03, 06:04
dsp2003

Coder don't understands English? O_O Coder?! I would like to look at that source too (just to make sure that it's really been written by this guy).
Old 2008-03-05, 17:09

No idea. Emailed him (in English), got no reply so far.
Old 2008-03-11, 11:10
John_He

Well, I posted on his blog asking for source long ago (in English too) and got ignored. Someone then translated my post into Japanese, but also got no reply...

I modified the official ONS to support Chinese characters, and add some PSP related functions that simular to tormtorm's build (I want to use his code, but he just don't post it).

If you just want to run Narcissu on PSP with 1Byte support, you can consider using mine. It's not so awesome as that guy's build as I just modified the official release a little, but it works well on PSP at least.

http://john-he.ys168.com/
Binaries for PSP are in "ONScripter 中文版/PSP" directory, all compiled with ENABLE_1BYTE_CHAR.
Sources are in "ONScripter 中文版/源代码"
Old 2008-03-12, 06:33
dsp2003

Great! Thank you very much!
Old 2008-03-15, 05:26

Yep, I saw your comment. I even found your version (actually, I had to get on a Windows computer to download it, your site's file browser didn't work for me with anything other than IE), I quickly realized you had the same problem as me.

I didn't post in his blog (comments kept getting caught as "spam"), I sent him an email. No reply. Even if you can't read English, it's kinda hard to miss something with the words "ONScripter", "PSP" and "Source" in the subject line, no?

I'm emailing Ogapee; he's the copyright holder, after all.

Last edited by Krade; 2008-03-15 at 05:35.