gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2008-08-28, 11:48

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Default The Leaf Thread

I wonder if there's enough fans of Leaf here to start a generic thread about Leaf...

To start off, here's a juicy tidbit from MOONPHASE:
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://d.hatena.ne.jp/moonphase/20080828
■[18禁]「電撃G'sマガジン」「電撃姫」2008年10月号・独占!下川氏インタビュー。

Leaf「君が呼ぶ、メギドの丘で」の開発状況は「ティアーズ」と平行して開発を進めていたので、70~80%ぐらい。11月発売予定。「ティアーズ」の18禁逆移植は、声優さんの問題と、動くスペックを満たすPCユーザーの割合を考えたら、さすがにない。仮にあるとしても、全年齢対象のままの移植で、2年以上は先になる。「雫」「痕」のリニューアル版とDOS版を1本にまとめたパッケージを年内に発売予定。「痕」については初のフルボイスで新規リニューアル。この2つのDOS版をWindowsで動くようにしたものと、「雫」のリニューアル版とをセットにする予定。涼元新作は、現段階でテキスト量的には1本作れるぐらいのボリュームになっている。世界観は現実的だけど、ファンタジー要素も織り交ぜ、日常の楽しさを描きつつ、1本芯の通ったストーリーに。発売時期は1年以上先になる予定。
According to an upcoming interview with Naoya Shimokawa, head of Leaf, their upcoming 3D RPG, Kimi ga Yobu, Megido no Oka de, is currently around 70-80% complete, due to having been in development concurrently with Tears to Tiara PS3. A backport to a 18+ PC game doesn't seem likely due to the high specs required for computers running it and the voice acting from the all ages version would have issues being used in a 18+ version. Even if there were to be a backport, it would have to be an all ages one at least 2 years down the road.

Leaf apparently is also planning to release a package consisting of renewal versions of Shizuku and Kizuato by the end of the year. What's amusing is that they're also planning to include the DOS versions which have been tweaked to run under Windows. I'm going to be looking forward to this...

Lastly, it looks like former Key writer Suzumoto, who's now working at Leaf, is working on a new work that takes place in a modern setting with fantasy elements thrown in and expects to release this in one year at the earliest.
Old 2008-08-28, 14:21
Posts way too much

I used to be a Leaf fan but I've totally gone off them. They stopped making the kind of games that got me to like Leaf in the first place.

To me, Leaf has always been about DECEMBER WHEN THERE IS NO ANGEL, WHITE ALBUM, SHIZUKU and KIZUATO, not SRPGs and To Heart. Sadly, evidently the latter are more popular.
Old 2008-08-28, 20:12

So, what did you think of Kusari, then?
Old 2008-08-28, 20:23
Unregistered

In terms of sales, I don't think we can say that the RPG hybrids do better, but that's the direction Leaf chose to pursue. Bear in mind that Shimakawa started with RPGs (Filsnown, Legam), so it isn't surprising that he's still pushing the company in that direction. Interestingly, the Osaka office imploded (clashes between Shimakawa and creative staff rendered Leaf a revolving door) around the time they shifted away from strict novels.
Old 2008-08-28, 21:05
Posts way too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas View Post
So, what did you think of Kusari, then?
Actually to be honest I haven't played it. Should I, then? =P
Old 2008-08-28, 22:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asceai View Post
Actually to be honest I haven't played it. Should I, then? =P
I haven't played it either, but from what I've read, it's possibly the closest they got to the themes from Shizuku and Kizuato. However, that's not to say it's a good game. :D
Old 2008-08-28, 23:54
Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
In terms of sales, I don't think we can say that the RPG hybrids do better, but that's the direction Leaf chose to pursue. Bear in mind that Shimakawa started with RPGs (Filsnown, Legam), so it isn't surprising that he's still pushing the company in that direction. Interestingly, the Osaka office imploded (clashes between Shimakawa and creative staff rendered Leaf a revolving door) around the time they shifted away from strict novels.
Shimokawa-shachou is, by all accounts, quite the avid gambler (both in the literal and the business sense).

In addition to the aforementioned RPGs (one of which turned out to be a great bet, the others so-so), he's taken a number of other notable punts:

1. backing on the PS3 as a hardware platform (T3 R, Megiddo), despite its questionable popularity in Japan;

2. approving a certain animated mah-jong game; and

3. making that quirky typing game, the name of which escapes me for the moment.

It might not sound like much, but this guy's a veritable high roller when seen in the context of period rivals like Circus.
Old 2008-08-29, 06:14
Obsessive

Unhappy title had to many characters to control in real-time

The question now, when are they going to get over the "turn based system?" I don't know if TBS is what Japanese fans are into, but it is nowhere near the real-time system that the west seem to be (more like "are") into. (the TBS does make it easier to control a large party, but perhaps a smaller (2 only) party won't be too bad to play with?)

Any way, that aside, is there any news on whether those titles will get an English release date? Tears to Tiara PS3 is something to look forward to IMHO
Old 2008-08-29, 06:56

That depends on the kind of game you're into. I personally don't consider RTS games 'strategy' games. I consider them 'tactics' games. You can't have as much complexity in a RTS game as you can in a turn-based strategy game. Try comparing Age of Empires to any of the KOEI simulation games like RoTK or PTO.

On the other hand, it seems that the majority of VN style games that incorporate other elements only put mediocre effort into the other parts.
I really liked Utawarerumono - it was actually the first VN-style game I played, thanks to the anime - but the battle portions of the game were not very impressive. They reminded me of Shining Force - which isn't a bad thing... just not impressive for a game today. Of course, maybe I'm being too harsh on a game made in 2002.
Old 2008-08-29, 08:29
kouryuu

Speaking of leaf, I really need to break open and play that copy of T3 I picked up for my PS3...
Old 2008-08-30, 15:33
Unregistered

I enjoyed the To Heart anime, and would actually like to see the game translated. I don't see why anyone wouldn't like To Heart *points to asceai*
Old 2008-08-30, 16:44
Posts way too much

Well, for a start, you can't really use the anime to compare the game. And, to be honest, I didn't mind To Heart*. I didn't like To Heart 2 or To Heart 2: Another Days and to be honest I'm just sick of the whole franchise. =p

*However, it's not, to me, a 'Leaf' game.. not like Kizuato, 12Tenani etc. Just like the name 'AKABEi SOFT2' makes me think Sharin no Kuni and G-Senjou, not Conboku Mahjongg and World Love Organisation; 'FlyingShrine' makes me think CROSS CHANNEL and SWAN SONG, even though the latter was more released by Le Chocolat; etc.

Last edited by Asceai; 2008-08-30 at 16:52.
Old 2008-08-31, 22:49
Local

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku

I'm not much of a Leaf fan as I am for for KEY, but a few of their titles seemed to have been good. I agree with To Heart being over done, sort of like D.C and Fate/ Stay Night...like move on...
Old 2008-09-01, 04:30
Obsessive

Unhappy title was misunderstood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasurot View Post
That depends on the kind of game you're into. I personally don't consider RTS games 'strategy' games. I consider them 'tactics' games. You can't have as much complexity in a RTS game as you can in a turn-based strategy game. Try comparing Age of Empires to any of the KOEI simulation games like RoTK or PTO.
Sorry mate, I think my post was confusing, I wasn't referring to RTS in my post, but RTRPG (Real-Time Role Play Game), you might not have come across this name since it is the only type of RPG that is currently being played in the west. An example of RTRPG would be Neverwinter Nights, it is an RPG where everything in it moved in Real-Time, including the battle. You had to think quick and you only controlled 2 characters, the main character and a 2nd character that you issued commands to (who can move independently from you if no command is issued to him/her)

Although, you might have a point, TBRPG (Turn Based Role Play Game) might actually be closer to an RTS then RTRPG. After all you have to think and plan how to place your many characters on the battle field! then issue your command to everyone of them.
Old 2008-09-01, 05:32
Unregistered

NWN, being based on AD&D, is in fact also turn based. You can pause the game (or set it to pause automatically at the end of each turn) and issue commands to your characters in a way not unlike many more obviously turn based RPGs.

Games like Diablo might be better examples of what you're getting at, though I can't think of many instances of such games where you get to control an entire squad in real time - or at least, not ones which aren't labelled as RTS games.