gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2008-06-23, 17:38
Visitor

Default How often you replay VN's

How often do you guys replay VN's?

I've been trying to replay tsukihime but i realize i still remember a lot of the options and all of the endings. I can probably play through most of it like it was my first time, but off the top of my head i can remember a few options that would lead to an immediate deadend and that kinda puts me off.

Do you want a couple of months to replay it? or do some of you wait over a year?
Old 2008-06-23, 18:06
Addicted

I expect opinions will diverge wildly on this one, but I never re-read any VNs (or books, for that matter). My limited spare time can usually more than adequately be filled with all the new and interesting stuff that's constantly coming out.
Old 2008-06-23, 19:13
Posts way too much

I replay the occasional visual novel, but I don't replay the majority of mine. They just take too long to read through. I have, however, reread a couple of titles I particularly liked (and am rereading a couple now). My justification mainly being that, while there's a lot of eroge I haven't gotten to yet, the limit is more my personal disposable income than the amount of time I have. (I limit myself)
Old 2008-06-23, 19:25
Obsessive

Send a message via AIM to Agilis

Reading over a game, just like reading over a book, is different from the first time you read it. Sometimes you discover new things, and often much of the surprise and emotional attachment is gone because you already have a sense of how the story will go. Depending on your memory and personality, that might be enough for you to be satisfied, or not.

Sometimes, when I'm particularly tired and just want to relax, I'll flip through my stack of old saves of scenes from some of the games I leave installed on my computer, just like once in awhile I'll go flip through some books I've already read. Just long enough to replay a particular scene I liked, or maybe one whole scenario if I'm after a certain story, but that's it.

My backlog of games I want to play but have had time to is 30+ titles and growing, so spending too much time on one title isn't much of an option.
Old 2008-06-23, 19:52
Posts way too much

I took a week of rec leave off last week and emptied out my backlog (which wasn't that full).
After rui wa tomo wo yobu comes out I'll look into some titles that look neat, like parfait (which has been near the top of erogamescape for ages; only reason I never got to it was because I disliked the character art), gunjou no sora wo koete, seven bridge, kono aozora ni yakusoku wo and maybe kira kira. That should easily keep me occupied for a while, considering that there's Interesting Stuff coming out in July. (5, LB! EX and.. there was something else, wasn't there?)]

Quote:
I can probably play through most of it like it was my first time, but off the top of my head i can remember a few options that would lead to an immediate deadend and that kinda puts me off.
Other people do things differently, but I very often walkthrough/spider the script when playing visual novels nowadays. They aren't games; I'm not going to pretend they are, and attempt to 'beat' them fairly. As a result, with the exception of interesting bad ends, I typically just skip them.

Good example is SWAN SONG - there's a lot of uninteresting bad ends in that, which you might as well avoid. There's also a pretty bad end (called the 'NORMAL END') which you absolutely _must_ see, because it's extremely awesome. Highly recommended for nakige lovers.

Last edited by Asceai; 2008-06-23 at 19:57.
Old 2008-06-23, 19:56
Visitor

For most games, no. But there are some notable exceptions. As mentioned, there are always new titles to be played. >_<

The soonest I'd ever replay a game would be a year.
Old 2008-06-23, 20:39
Roto

I occasionally re-read some of the shorter freeware titles, since they can be completed in a sitting. Otherwise, count me in with the others who have more stuff to play than time to dedicate to it. (Perhaps that will change now that I'm not a student anymore; at least for a while.) My average completion time for the average length translated novel is about three months. Even with the slow rate at which stuff gets translated, there's still a fair bit out there that I haven't read yet.
Old 2008-06-23, 20:49
Posts way too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto View Post
I occasionally re-read some of the shorter freeware titles, since they can be completed in a sitting. Otherwise, count me in with the others who have more stuff to play than time to dedicate to it. (Perhaps that will change now that I'm not a student anymore; at least for a while.) My average completion time for the average length translated novel is about three months. Even with the slow rate at which stuff gets translated, there's still a fair bit out there that I haven't read yet.
I usually finish them in about a week (depending on length) for untranslated stuff, and 1-2 days for translated stuff, depending on how much time I get on those days (usually I can get 5-6 hours, or more with forgoing sleep, and a _lot_ more on weekends. In addition to the other projects I'm currently working on -_-)

Last edited by Asceai; 2008-06-23 at 21:03.
Old 2008-06-23, 21:04
Local

I think I reread a couple of the freeware titles. However, I don't normally reread, rewatch, or replay anything.
Old 2008-06-23, 23:14
Obsessive

Most of the time I only reread scenes (chapters for tomo kataoka's games). I think the only game I played (all the way through) twice is utawarerumono (and about 1 year in between). The warm and gentle atmosphere of that game is priceless XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asceai View Post
There's also a pretty bad end (called the 'NORMAL END') which you absolutely _must_ see, because it's extremely awesome. Highly recommended for nakige lovers.
Oh! Oh! I might have to watch out for that. Thanks. But what do you mean by heavy-handed writing in SWAN SONG? How difficult is it if you compare it to ... say Cross Channel or December when there is no angel?
Old 2008-06-23, 23:31
Posts way too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyovermind View Post
Oh! Oh! I might have to watch out for that. Thanks. But what do you mean by heavy-handed writing in SWAN SONG? How difficult is it if you compare it to ... say Cross Channel or December when there is no angel?
Difficult to describe. But I found SWAN SONG to be very slow going the first time I played it (at the start, anyway; my pace started picking up). It basically slams you with walls and walls of text, which was something I was totally unused to at the time. Essentially, that combined with the limited use of visual cues make the game a bit 'heavy' in my mind... almost like reading a book at times.

The other thing was that, in the normal end, the final sequence auto-reads the text; in that the rate the text appears at, and then disappears at, is timed by the game. It's pretty slow, but I found it to be a bit of a test of my ability to read the language quickly at the time.

Oh, and by the way; everyone is voiced in SWAN SONG. A nice touch, considering so few eroges seem to do it.

Last edited by Asceai; 2008-06-23 at 23:35.
Old 2008-06-24, 01:22
kouryuu

yea, I fall under the same category as others here, as much as I love visual novels, they take a lot of time, and I do other games and such too, including DM DnD campaigns, so I'm always busy. I've never had time to re-read a title, and I always use walkthroughs for the games--they're stories, not games, and unlike real games, I don't have the time or patience to fail and skip through pre-read text.
Old 2008-06-24, 03:10
Unregistered

Save for three (Sispri, SentiGra and the Toraha series) of which I replay at least one route every year, I don't usually replay my erogees because I'd rather lower my backlog. ~_~
Old 2008-06-24, 20:55
Local

Send a message via AIM to tea panda

As some mentioned, I only reread a select few. For me, it's typically Crescendo and Season of the Sakura, both of which meant a lot to me and I'm always happy to revisit them and skim routes that I thought were good.

But yes, it's too much of a hassle to reread every visual novel I have. The first run-through is usually the best, anyway.
Old 2008-07-02, 01:12

I have only reread a visual novel once, and it was FSN on the PC and then FSN:RN on the PS2. (if this even counts?)