gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2006-01-05, 10:49
Obsessive

Default What is a bank(teibou)?

Can someone describe in their own words what a bank is? Even after looking at the pictures at google, I still don't have a solid picture of this "bank" in my head. This is something I wondered everytime 堤防 came up in Air.

http://images.google.com/images?svnu...A4%9C%E7%B4%A2

Image search for the English "bank" brings up the financial institutions.
Old 2006-01-05, 11:09
inuyasha9854

I'm guessing something like an embankment, or a river bank.
Old 2006-01-05, 12:43
Ex-boss

Roughly equivalent to a "levee" (those things that Katrina breached in New Orleans) or a "dyke" (the sort they use in the Netherlands to keep the sea out, not the yuri sort).

In the specific case of AIR, it refers to the sea wall that separates the beach from the shop with the juice vending machine.
Old 2006-01-05, 12:53
Addicted

Nitpicky question: Is the structure a 'dyke' or a 'dike'? I grew up on a freshwater marsh cris-crossed with the things, and I could've sworn it was 'dike'. Unless this is another one of thos 'color'/'colour'-type issues...
Old 2006-01-05, 13:30
Ex-boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSaintLouis
Nitpicky question: Is the structure a 'dyke' or a 'dike'?
Yes. :P

In British English, at least, the two are completely interchangeable; Oxford style prefers 'dike', but recognises 'dyke' as "a frequent spelling", while other authorities prefer 'dyke'. It may of course be one of those cases where Americans accept only one of two spellings that are permissible in British English - not so much 'colo(u)r' as 'medi(a)eval' or 'Americani(s|z)e'.
Old 2006-01-05, 14:42
Obsessive

Send a message via ICQ to Shii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeleth
It may of course be one of those cases where Americans accept only one of two spellings that are permissible in British English - not so much 'colo(u)r' as 'medi(a)eval' or 'Americani(s|z)e'.
In the northeastern U.S. at least, a dike is a wall and a dyke is a Sailor Scout.
Old 2006-01-05, 15:30
Addicted

Quote:
It may of course be one of those cases where Americans accept only one of two spellings that are permissible in British English - not so much 'colo(u)r' as 'medi(a)eval' or 'Americani(s|z)e'.
That could possibly be it, or it could just be due to the ignorance of my contemporaries that I've never heard of any alternate spellings. Every time I use the word in a sentence, I'm usually rewarded with funny looks and entreaties not to say it so loud before have to I explain that it refers to a physical structure.

...yet another one of those fascinating words that's had its traditional meaning usurped by common colloquialisms.
Old 2006-01-06, 13:16
Regular

For what I can tell you, "dyke" sounds very wrong, mainly because of it's pronunciation.
"Dique, dike" is correct for a dam-like structure that separates bodies of water (or water from something else), but "dyke", pronounced "daik" is, uh, definitely anglic in origin. I'm not familiar with any "daik" root in the grecorroman original tongues, though I'm not a linguist by any means.
Old 2006-01-06, 15:43

Well, for those interested in the etymologies of dike and dyke.

dyke
1931, Amer.Eng., probably shortening of morphadike, dialectal garbling of hermaphrodite, but bulldyker "engage in lesbian activities" is attested from 1921, and a source from 1896 lists dyke as slang for "the vulva."

dike
O.E. dic "trench, ditch," from P.Gmc. *dik- (cf. O.N. diki, Du. dijk, Ger. Deich), from PIE base *dheigw- "to pierce, fasten" (cf. Skt. dehi- "wall," O.Pers. dida "wall, stronghold, fortress," Pers. diz). At first "an excavation," later (1487) applied to the resulting earth mound; a sense development paralleled by cognate forms in many other languages. This is the northern variant of the word, which in the south of England yielded ditch.

http://www.etymonline.com/

The American dyke has nothing to do with the British dyke (it's just a plain old variant of dike in British English).
Old 2006-01-06, 15:48
Ex-boss

Of course, etymonline (like most lexicographical sources) omits the American dyke/dike meaning "diagonal cutting pliers", which was the subject of several fascinating Language Log posts recently...

It's amazing how easy a thread is to derail, isn't it? :D
Old 2006-01-06, 23:36
Obsessive

Send a message via MSN to Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudio
For what I can tell you, "dyke" sounds very wrong, mainly because of it's pronunciation.
"Dique, dike" is correct for a dam-like structure that separates bodies of water (or water from something else), but "dyke", pronounced "daik" is, uh, definitely anglic in origin. I'm not familiar with any "daik" root in the grecorroman original tongues, though I'm not a linguist by any means.
In New Zealand it's always pronounced "daik".

English is quite a flexible little language.
Old 2006-01-07, 00:45
Addicted

Quote:
Of course, etymonline (like most lexicographical sources) omits the American dyke/dike meaning "diagonal cutting pliers", which was the subject of several fascinating Language Log posts recently...
Wow, I had no idea about that one. "Diagonal cutting pliers" - sounds like some sort of metal shears or tin snips or something.

Quote:
It's amazing how easy a thread is to derail, isn't it? :D
Bear witness to half the fun (and all of the danger!) of the Internet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl
English is quite a flexible little language.
Or deeply flawed, depending on how your glass is filled. It really makes me appreciate learning Japanese - words only have ONE possible pronunciation! And half the time, the words are made up of little pictures that give you the meaning! Beautiful!!

All we get in English are there, they're, and their.
Old 2006-01-07, 00:53
Obsessive

Send a message via ICQ to Shii

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSaintLouis
It really makes me appreciate learning Japanese - words only have ONE possible pronunciation!
But "letters" have usually a dozen pronunciations...
Old 2006-01-07, 03:02
Addicted

True. What I was attempting to get at and failed (due to my own incompetence, not the shortcomings of English) is that each syllable/character is pronounced only one way (i.e. く, 'ku') and therefore words only have one possible pronunciation - 行く, (いく) is always 'iku', for example.

The catch, as you mentioned, is in the myriad of possible meanings kanji can carry, in which case yes, the pronunciation of the word does change. But it still adheres to the static pronunciation of the syllables that make up the word.

I shouldn't try to discuss even my shaky grasp of linguistic concepts at 3am. I'm not sure if anything I just wrote made a damn lick of sense.
Old 2006-01-07, 03:16
Ex-boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSL
each syllable/character is pronounced only one way (i.e. く, 'ku') and therefore words only have one possible pronunciation - 行く, (いく) is always 'iku', for example.
Except when it's 'yuku'. :P

There are some genuine inconsistencies. ん can be any of [n], [N], [m], [j~], [a~], [i~], [u~], [e~], [o~], and probably a few others. I admit that's not quite analogous to English inconsistencies in that it's possible to deduce the pronunciation of most syllables if you know the basic rules of Japanese phonetics, which is not the case for English "-ough". But can you tell me how the following sentence is pronounced, given your knowledge that "each syllable/character is pronounced only one way"?

はははははははがいたいと言う

</evil>