gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2005-12-11, 20:52
Obsessive

Default Dating Sims All Modeled After Norwegian Wood

A famous translator(I think it was gp32) once told me that all dating sims are modeled after some book called Norwegian Wood.

For those of you who've played many dating sims and have also read that, do you concur?
Old 2005-12-11, 20:57
K

What? They are? Now I must read this book.

It must be very ambiguous, though.
Old 2005-12-11, 22:09
Obsessive

It was probably one of his jokes..

they all go soaring over my head too =/
Old 2005-12-11, 22:24
GLACIER

It's a joke/cynical exaggeration, of course. I haven't read the book in question, but it's not hard to see where he's probably coming from, given the cliche nature and/or over-the-top melodrama of most productions.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/037...lance&n=283155
Old 2005-12-11, 23:10
Obsessive

Oh my god it's true!

Quote:
The plot: It's the late 1960's. College student Toru falls in love with the girlfriend of his (dead) best friend. She eventually becomes ill (though not physically ill) and has to leave to live under special circumstances, far away from him. While she's gone, he meets Midori, a college student who obviously is interested in him. But he's holding out for his girlfriend Naoko. Never knowing if she will recover from her ailment and be able to rejoin him in society, he goes to classes, sells phonograph records at night, and spends some time with Midori. He visits Naoko a few times, gets to know her wacky roommate/friend/mentor Reiki, and eventually he has to decide between a life with Naoko (without Naoko?) or with Midori. Throw in a bizarre Geography-major roommate nicknamed "Storm Trooper," a scene where Midori (badly) sings folk songs to our Toru while they watch a neighborhood fire from the balcony above her parents' bookshop, and assorted other hilarious/bizarre characters and passages, and you've got vintage Haruki Murakami.
Old 2005-12-12, 12:43
K

Only two girls? No way.
Old 2005-12-12, 16:40
mr.aufziehvogel

whoa i love murakami's books.

wind-up bird chronicles (i have my nick from this book), kafka on the shore and A Wild Sheep Chase are the best books i've ever read.
Old 2005-12-12, 18:47
Obsessive

Send a message via MSN to Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by l|ammamama
Oh my god it's true!

Quote:
The plot: It's the late 1960's. College student Toru falls in love with the girlfriend of his (dead) best friend. She eventually becomes ill (though not physically ill) and has to leave to live under special circumstances, far away from him. While she's gone, he meets Midori, a college student who obviously is interested in him. But he's holding out for his girlfriend Naoko. Never knowing if she will recover from her ailment and be able to rejoin him in society, he goes to classes, sells phonograph records at night, and spends some time with Midori. He visits Naoko a few times, gets to know her wacky roommate/friend/mentor Reiki, and eventually he has to decide between a life with Naoko (without Naoko?) or with Midori. Throw in a bizarre Geography-major roommate nicknamed "Storm Trooper," a scene where Midori (badly) sings folk songs to our Toru while they watch a neighborhood fire from the balcony above her parents' bookshop, and assorted other hilarious/bizarre characters and passages, and you've got vintage Haruki Murakami.
He should sue Agé.
Old 2005-12-12, 20:07

Send a message via AIM to cyanoacry Send a message via Yahoo to cyanoacry

Now they just need games modeled after his other books... I'd so pay for a sitting-in-the-well sim!
Old 2005-12-14, 11:07
Obsessive

Send a message via AIM to Talbain

Make anything general enough and you can relate it to just about anything. This is pretty much a basic NLP model where you constantly make the size of the "picture" (the context you're looking at) broader and broader until it can encompass everything. Sad thing is, all dating-sim type games are sadly derivative, and I think that's why I hate them so much. Played one you've played them all, or that's how it feels to me. I think it's due mostly to the fact that they all use such a basic model that any real feeling for a character or situation is overtaken by the model itself, because despite the game trying to focus you one specifics, you're still seeing the model.
Old 2005-12-14, 12:29
Addicted

Gp32 turned me on to the writings of Haruki Murakami as well, and I do recall him once saying that Norwegian Wood was indeed a template for some of the more well-done games.

The explanation I got - and the way I interpreted it - is that most of Murakami's writings (Norwegian Wood is one that I've not yet been able to read, so I can't speak with full authority) usually involve the protagonist chasing after one of more girls. No surprise there in the comparison. Granted, in Murakami, the protagonist isn't nearly as active in his courting as in eroge. The stories also feature some sort of magical quality that often takes on - somehow - a fairly nostalgic air. From Toru's meditations at the bottom of the well in The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle to the narrator's hunt for a favorite pinball machine in Pinball, 1973, the stories just have a very other-worldly quality to them. It's really difficult to try and explain, but if you were to read Murakami's novels (especially Wind-Up Bird, you'd get an idea of what I mean. Air especially evokes some of the feel of Wind-Up Bird, I thought. Maybe someone else could explain this in more depth...
Old 2005-12-14, 17:15
Obsessive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSaintLouis
...usually involve the protagonist chasing after one of more girls. No surprise there in the comparison. Granted, in Murakami, the protagonist isn't nearly as active in his courting as in eroge. The stories also feature some sort of magical quality that often takes on - somehow - a fairly nostalgic air. From Toru's meditations at the bottom of the well in The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle to the narrator's hunt for a favorite pinball machine in Pinball, 1973, the stories just have a very other-worldly quality to them. It's really difficult to try and explain, but if you were to read Murakami's novels (especially Wind-Up Bird, you'd get an idea of what I mean. Air especially evokes some of the feel of Wind-Up Bird, I thought. Maybe someone else could explain this in more depth...
I like Wong Kar Wai's films because they're like that. I guess most of us get a bit misty-eyed when looking back on our childhood loves and losses...
Old 2005-12-14, 19:43

Send a message via AIM to cyanoacry Send a message via Yahoo to cyanoacry

The way I see it, the protagonists in all of Murakami's novels never focus on the relationships themselves; the character's always longing for something from the past (that's the nostalgic scent, I reckon.)

I haven't played through Air, but considering that it's got a dual-world/flashback type scenario, it's a lot like the Wind-up Bird Chronicles, where there's several intertwined plots (Liutenant Mamiya's flashbacks, Nutmeg and Cinnamon's stories) that weave together it goes along.

There's probably something about the characters' motivation that makes Murakami stories so special too...
Old 2005-12-14, 21:21
Obsessive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyanoacry
I haven't played through Air, but considering that it's got a dual-world/flashback type scenario, it's a lot like the Wind-up Bird Chronicles, where there's several intertwined plots (Liutenant Mamiya's flashbacks, Nutmeg and Cinnamon's stories) that weave together it goes along.
That's pretty much right on the money.
Old 2005-12-18, 10:38
Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Bust Nak

I read Norwegian Wood like 10 years ago and didn't find it interested, probably because I was too young back then.