gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2009-03-21, 10:13
Local

Post Innocent Grey Thread

Hi! i started yesterday to play my first VN in japanese since i'm still learning i use it with aght to search for words that i don't know, its PP Pianissimo from Innocent Grey, and i'm still in the beggining of the game, i'm at the scene after the fight with that woman and the siren from the cops are heard and i hide with Ayane Shirakawa, so i'm understanding everything right? and is this game long? next probably i'll start to play cartagra from Innocent Grey too, any reviews or opinion should be good!
Old 2009-03-21, 13:34

Send a message via ICQ to zalas

I'm not exactly familiar with these games, but looking at the description on their page, it sounds like it would be a hard game to play as your first time in Japanese. Have you considered something easier, or does campus romance not interest you?
Old 2009-03-21, 14:23
Local

PP is actually campus romance with horror and shit. It isn't really good game(worst from IG) and surely not a game for beginner.
Old 2009-03-21, 14:34
Local

well, i choose this game first 'cause in erogamescape is with 68 and Cartagra and Kara no Shoujo are more than 70... and you guys are probably right, there habe been some words that i couldn't find in any of the online dictionaries that i use, well i would like that you guys could recommend me some easy to read begginers VN, I'm jap i already have too Forest from Liar-soft, Flyable Heart from Union Shift, Shirotsume Souwa from littlewitch and Shukufuku no Campanella from Windmill, but if you know begginers titles i'll see if i can find them!
Old 2009-03-21, 16:21
Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatoNegro View Post
Windmill
You are heading in right direction - try happiness! from it. Also I would suggest Maple Colors 2 from Crossnet and Amber Quartz from Cotton Soft.
Old 2009-03-21, 16:57
Regular

Just, um, save Forest for a little later, haha.

I have a friend who picked Tsukihime as his first game to try in Japanese (he hasn't played the English version). My first was ef #1--which is still definitely one I would recommend to beginners; the plethora of visuals creates a lot of added interest if you have to go slowly, and the situations & language are simple but sometimes lyrical. After that I went straight into SF/fantasy stuff like Togainu no Chi and Saya no Uta and Jingai Makyou, though. It certainly created more of a learning curve, but I don't think straight-up campus romance would have given me the same motivation to keep reading & finish the story. So I say go with whatever truly interests you.
Old 2009-03-21, 17:34
Posts way too much

For beginners I recommend Forest and Kagerou Note from Liar-soft, Saihate no Ima from XUSE and Gunjyou no Sora wo Koete from Light.

(kidding, kidding. Shirotsume Souwa won't be too bad, though, and it's a decent enough title. it's sort and fairly text-light)
Old 2009-03-21, 21:17
Local

Oh, I've just remembered good title for beginners - Fortune Arterial(Do Kiriha's route first).
Old 2009-03-21, 21:19
Posts way too much

Other August games, like Yoake Mae Yori Ruriiro Na are probably good too - it does deal with things like technology and politics, but on a fairly rudimentary level, and it's not filled with jargon or anything.

Oh, and from Sirius, 'Koibito Doushide Surukoto Zenbu' is quite easy to read and never gets boring.
Old 2009-03-21, 21:55
Local

Thnx for the replies, and well i probably will finish at least the route of Ayane Shirakawa in Pianissimo, and tomorrow i will start with Shirotsume and i'll surely will get Fortune Arterial, i been really attracted to this game since i saw it!

PD:Is 腐り姫 -euthanasia- from liar-soft could be too hard for me? it seems interesing to me!
Old 2009-03-21, 23:24
Local

I don't think you should touch liar soft for a while. Same goes for IG/Age/Lass; go for Nekoneko/Cotton Soft or Purple Soft instead.
Old 2009-03-22, 05:35
Posts way too much

From Cotton-soft, Reconquista sounds like it could be your thing, and it's not too hard to read.

It also happens to be my favourite Cotton-soft game!
Old 2009-03-22, 15:40
Local

For me is like Dagger says, actually for my first games, i want to start with games with horror, mistery, action or similars game to keep me interesed and later with the pure love genres

Today i started with Shirotsume and damn, that game is in another level for my soo bad japanese, i'll probably save it for later and thanks Asceai, i added Reconquista to my to-get list!

and seeing NekoNeko games, is Mizuiro any good? and for purple-soft good recommendation?

Sorry for asking way to much >_>
Old 2009-03-22, 15:45
Posts way too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatoNegro View Post
and seeing NekoNeko games, is Mizuiro any good? and for purple-soft good recommendation?
Mizuiro is _okay_, but I'm just going to say this now - it's not for you. It's a pure-love story, but it's not deep at all, and is rather dated. You'd fall asleep playing it.

Gin'iro, also by NNS, is for you =p. Scarlett and SANARARA are also very good titles.

Purple Software, umm.. well, their best title is definitely Ashita no Kimi to Autame ni - it has a great story, good characters (even if they all look sort of similar), high production values (great animated backgrounds - the best I've ever seen) etc.

After that, probably 'Akiiro Renka', as it's likely the most famous Purple Software title.
Old 2009-03-23, 06:35
Unregistered

Just a tip going from another beginner - try to go for games with full, or at least partial, voice acting. Having the text read out to you makes comprehension much easier, not to mention it's more enjoyable that way.

Also, it might be just me, I find the usual layout of textbox & sprites (a la Air, Kanon etc) more comfortable over the visual novel text-over-sprites (a la Umineko, To Heart 2) style. The way the text is broken up into smaller passages in the former is far less intimidating than the wall of text in the latter.