gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Closed Thread

Old 2004-10-29, 02:12
Regular

Well, emperor, if Air has certain functions that exist in Kanon, it would be less of a problem for people who do not understand Japanese well enough to understand that word. If these words are translated into english as well, it would not sound correct in a way. It would be rather...let's just say it does not go with the game well?
Old 2004-10-29, 06:19
Ex-boss

The AIR translation efforts do have access to the hyperlink system, as that's built into the compiler; I think zalas also has the long note code, though I don't know whether he knows that. ;)
(<tt>TextOutNote()</tt> in <tt>sample/testprogram/src/kanon.kh</tt>, if you haven't found it yet.)

Of course, both "bento" and "lunch box" can go perfectly well side by side - the former to translate 弁当, the latter for 弁当箱. That's what I've been using, on the basis that the lunch box is a perfectly familiar object over here, it's only the contents that are exotic...

(Note the romanisation of [お]弁当, by the way! This particular word can be found in English dictionaries, so it makes sense to use the naturalised English form.)
Old 2004-10-29, 07:59
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureLight
I use o-/go- in my romanisation to denote the difference, but only for words that can also exist without the honorific (like, you don't see a 'kurosama' hanging around anywhere).
Well I see...That's why i was also asking if there was something I do not yet know. Well i consider it useless efford to do a - between the politeness 御 (お/ご) if you always have to think about the fact that it shouldn't change its meaning (like in 主人 and 御主人 which would actually change a little). But well, thanks for telling me about that, didn't read something like that yet (and well you cannot know unless you ask, somebody people always get thought differently...I even get thought to never ever think of getting rid of "ou" and writing it as "o" but rather do anything that makes the reader know there is a difference like o- , ou or ó or ô). Well I guess I should've better kept quiet, after all I am already beeing accused of defending something "that doesn't sound right".
Old 2004-10-29, 16:23
Local

Woah! I had no idea that my spelling was going to start a bit of a discussion. Looks like Azu-chan took the heat instead - Thanks for that! ^_^

I've always read the romanization and hiragana as being "obento" but this time I've decided to make a slight change and differentiate the honorific. It's the same reason as Azu-chan's. It's just a way I remind myself that the root word is "bento" - didn't realize it 'till about two years later when I came across a person who described it as a plain "bento". Sorry for the confusion!

Anyhow, about the translation patch - the current one works with the PS2 voices, right? What's the difference between the two varieties of voice patches, and is one better than the other?
Old 2004-10-29, 20:13
Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldareon
Anyhow, about the translation patch - the current one works with the PS2 voices, right?
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldareon
What's the difference between the two varieties of voice patches, and is one better than the other?
I wouldn't know for sure, but I don't think there is any difference - at least dialoguewise. I suppose it's conceivable that the PS2 version had better sound, but the rest is probably down to coding.
Old 2004-10-30, 03:35
Regular

well...PS2 voices includes Yukito's voice as well, while the DC version does not have Yukito's voice. Sound quality wise...i have no idea though.
Old 2004-10-30, 06:12
adun50

another difference in the two voice patches are the structure in which the voices are stored. that is why the translation patch will not work with the Dreamcast version. although it will work, it will just play the wrong voices
Old 2004-10-30, 06:21

But is it possible to 'force' them to work? if you decompress either voices and encode them into the proper wave files (with the appropriate file and folder names, of course), wouldn't they work then?
Old 2004-10-30, 14:47
Ex-boss

Oh, sure, it would be possible - all you'd have to do would be to rename 25,000-odd files. :p

Far simpler just to support the DC patch in the first place. It's only a case of disassembling a DC-patched game, copying the translated script files across, and recompiling. I believe the only reason ChaoticReign never did that is that he never got hold of the copy of the DC voice patch he'd need to do it.

Unfortunately, it's a bit hard to do it for him in his absence, but something could probably be arranged if he reappears, or if zalas and his team get to a suitable stage without him.
Old 2004-11-07, 10:45

hey does anyone know where is ulysseslin's chinese patch for AIR? or is it only a translation, not like odins patch?
Old 2004-11-07, 13:35
Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous
hey does anyone know where is ulysseslin's chinese patch for AIR? or is it only a translation, not like odins patch?
If I recall correctly, Ulysseslin's translation is just a script; there's no patch version of it, although arguably it would not be too difficult to turn into a patch.

A copy of the script can be found here:
http://man.ptt.cc/man.pl/Key/D315/D362/
Old 2004-11-08, 00:56

Only problem is that its in 繁体字 (Chinese Traditional), and isn't as widely used out of Taiwan and Hong Kong so it could be a problem for most people who know Standard (Simplified) Chinese. It kinda burns on the eyes to figure out what the words mean ^^;

I originally planned to work on that thing after my O levels (DIE, CAMBRIDGE!), but am unsure whether it'll be worth my time if zalas and friends has already progressed heavily into Dream.....

Maybe I should begin with Summer? How far has the translation gone?
Old 2004-11-08, 01:01

EDIT for the previous Guest post:

The link AstCd2 provided has Simplified Chinese -_-

Guess I really don't have a reason not to get cracking. Oh well... *sighs* Anyway, to zalas and the rest of the team, you don't mind putting my script in if I've managed to complete it? It'll be something like a speedsub, of course. I know nuts about Haeleth's Compiler and lack any sort of programming knowledge ^^;;;
Old 2004-11-08, 01:37

Send a message via ICQ to zalas

I would recommend not doing Summer since 1) it's painful and 2) a J->C->E translation would most likely kill a lot of the meaning. As for where we are, we just sort of do it at our own pace, given the amount of free time we have (not much ^^; ) Furthermore, we're still trying to iron out style problems early so that we don't have to do a lot of rewriting later on. If you're going to go ahead and work on it, see if you can tackle the common script files first, since we haven't started looking at those yet.
Old 2004-11-08, 01:43

I'll be just using the script from the site AstCd2 has mentioned and churning out a similar text document, so I'm not too sure what you imply by "common script files". I'll be running the game concurrently by the side to see if it can fit in.

I'll give it a go and try to produce something, given the amount of free time (about 1 month, and I kinda lack a social life ^^;) I have. If I can keep a reasonable pace, I'll pass the scripts to you guys for cross-referance with the Japanese Original.

If its not up to standard, guess I'll have to wait for you guys to do your job :P
Closed Thread