gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2006-04-13, 20:58
Regular

Send a message via MSN to idofgrahf
Default Learning to read Japanese

This kinda thread is probably pretty common here, but I'm just curious, how hard is it exactly? I mean I know there are three types Kanji being the dominate but I really don't need to worry about that, I'm chinese and relearning Kanji isn't hard. I also major in english so the english obsitcale of Katakana shouldn't be a problem, ( I know english better then my own language, and better then averge Americans, its kinda sad)

I know that Kanji are pernounced differently in Japanese but they retain the roughly the same meaning and I'm not interested in learning to speak, just read (so I can understand the games better)

I know a lot of people try and fail so do they like fail at the Kanji bit or are the HIRAGANA and KATAKANA that hard, I took a look at it but they only seem to be alphabets and not really differcult if your willing to use brut memory. Although I have to say the language has a weared way of arranging things so even if I know every single word in a sentce it still take effort to figure out what they are saying.

So whats so hard about the language?

Might as well tell why I'm learning, simply because there are some very good games I would want to play, (some H some none H such as Macross, the robotech games here such *** and a few games that I might want to translate in the future

Lacan/grahf
Xenogears
Old 2006-04-13, 21:21
Obsessive

Send a message via ICQ to Shii
Default Re: Learning to read Japanese

Quote:
Originally Posted by idofgrahf
I know that Kanji are pernounced differently in Japanese but they retain the same meaning
手紙 (obligatory but never stops being funny)

With that caveat, if you do know kanji then Japanese is pretty easy.
Old 2006-04-13, 21:22
omgwtflolz

Honestly? Nothing.

Quote:
I also major in english so the english obsitcale of Katakana shouldn't be a problem, ( I know english better then my own language, and better then averge Americans, its kinda sad)
これってギャグ?

Quote:
I know that Kanji are pernounced differently in Japanese but they retain the same meaning
I'm amazed that there're still people who actually believe that.

Let's see, Babelfish, Chinese → English...

馬鹿: Red deer.
大丈夫: Real man.

Edit:

Also, just what do you mean by "English obstacle of katakana"?
Old 2006-04-13, 21:36
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shii
Quote:
手紙 (obligatory but never stops being funny)

With that caveat, if you do know kanji then Japanese is pretty easy.
lol, do you mean toilet paper or the finger? Or plain letter? (some how it think its the middle of the three)

omgwtflolz, believe it or not, its true. I have aced all my english courses while some who are born here were getting nothing but a C+ and no I do not have an accent that so many chinese do. It is kinda sad that my American friends doesn't even know where patriartical comes from or the meaning behind the egotistical sublime.

Lacan/grahf
Xenogears
Old 2006-04-13, 21:40
K

Patriartical?

I don't know that word. It must be because I'm Chinese.
Old 2006-04-13, 21:43
omgwtflolz

Just for the record, perilous rice-chomper over here too.
Old 2006-04-13, 21:48
Regular

It means males dominate society, Patri=father hence meaning father rule. I'm not trying to be arrogant, and I apologize if I sound that way but I am trying to learn Japanese and would like to know what is the hardest part.

As for the English obstacle of katakana, I understand that Katakana is used for foreign words, mostly english, so if you don't know english very well you're need to learn some or else even if you can decode it to english letters its still useless to you. and no I am not a 馬鹿 aka fool in japanese or road if I remmber correctly in chinese, 馬= horse 鹿= deer no?

Lacan/grahf
Xenogears
Old 2006-04-13, 21:52
omgwtflolz

カチューシャ?パフェ?アルバイト?

If you're serious about learning the language, it'd be a good idea to rid yourself of the silly misconceptions you seem to have first.
Old 2006-04-13, 21:55
Regular

and those misconceptions are?

Lacan/grahf
Xenogears
Old 2006-04-13, 22:07
Obsessive

Send a message via ICQ to Shii

Quote:
It means males dominate society, Patri=father hence meaning father rule.
It's spelt "patriarchical" actually.

Quote:
and those misconceptions are?
1) Chinese and Japanese kanji are used in the same way
2) If you know English, you have a leg up on using Japanese because they borrow so many English words
3) Knowing "Wordsworth's egotistical sublime" is an English language skill rather than an English lit skill

additional reference for #2: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...sei-eigo_terms
Old 2006-04-13, 22:11
Regular

thanks for the link, and yeah i didn't spell the word right, its actually spelled Patriarchy, just for reference, the archy part means rule in latin while Patri means father in latin, Hence father rule or more commonly male ruled society.

and egotistical sublime did not come from wordsworth, he did not name it, a very common misconception as well. it was Keats, not Wordworth and if my friend actually knew these two words meaning he would have known what it meant.

Lacan/grahf
Xenogears
Old 2006-04-13, 22:14
omgwtflolz

Spelling is far more important than etymology.

And maybe I'm just senile, but I'm pretty sure that it was derived from Greek. Patriarchy, I mean.
Old 2006-04-13, 22:21
Regular

you can argue it either way, but Patri= was a latin word, I'm pretty sure archy was one as well, the idea might have come from Greece but the word is latin. Actually Patri is also a spanish word if I'm not mistaken, just like Dolores/dolorum= pain, suffering. (I've herad its actually a popular name in spain, who would want to name their daughter to cause pain and suffering is beyond me) both were taken directly from Latin and added to spanish.

and spelling really isn't that important anymore because we have MS word to do the dirty work for us. Tense however is another story

As for english, in that link you gave me, more then 75 percent of the word are still based on english, I can guess the rest of the 25, considering english borrow words from French, (french fries anyone?) it shouldn't be hard.

Lacan/grahf
Xenogears
Old 2006-04-13, 22:34
omgwtflolz

先生、ここにアホな子がいます。 </Tomoya>
Old 2006-04-13, 23:11
Regular

for those who are also interested in learning Japanese, I have found this site to be most helpful http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/japanese.html
it even has a ipod kanji dictionary for my 60 gig ipod video.

a question for those who know japanese, are their different octaves in pernouncing Japanese? IE: in chinese the word cook has 4 meanings depending on how you pernounce it, if pernounced wrong instead of saying cook, you are essiential saying F***, is there such thing Japanese as well?

Lacan/grahf
Xenogears