gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2007-01-22, 16:03
Unregistered

I still weep quietly whenever I look at my wind re:gratitude box... the most expensive bookend I have had the misfortune to purchase. I even tried ebaying it not to long ago and didn't get any bids... ::sigh:: I'll live
Old 2007-01-23, 01:25
Unregistered

Just look at it as an investment for when you learn Japanese. Or rather, a reason you can't give up because it would be such a waste of money ;)

I have a whole shelf full of games I can barely read, about 25 now including Wind.
I keep buying them out of fear the game will no longer be available when I actually have the skill to play it properly... (like Gin'iro for example :\)
Old 2007-01-23, 01:31
Addicted

Send a message via AIM to Misu Send a message via MSN to Misu Send a message via Yahoo to Misu

Unregistered #16
Depending on how much you want to sell it for, I'll buy it off you. If you don't feel like registering to PM me, you can just use the contact form on the VN frontpage.
Old 2007-01-23, 05:17
Obsessive

Aww, a particular someone is very good hearted, maybe I should call Vibeke here too... Wait, he didn't say he wants to sell the game yet
Old 2007-01-23, 05:19
Regular

Someone just give him the Wind patch (It's not a self-destructing patch, is it?)
Old 2007-01-23, 21:03
Regular

Unregistered #16 was me... it seems I forgot to log in.

Thank you for the very kind offer Misu but I'll be hanging on to it. With my supreme luck I will gain access to the patch again the moment the game hits the mail and I really do prefer not to pirate. Besides I will be finishing up my degree pretty soon and I fully plan on resuming Japanese classes at that time so I will be back on my way to reading more than 2 sentences a halfhour! ^_^

...and yes I did say I would be taking more classes *after* my degree is finished...
Old 2007-01-23, 21:56
Asmadi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Just look at it as an investment for when you learn Japanese. Or rather, a reason you can't give up because it would be such a waste of money ;)

I have a whole shelf full of games I can barely read, about 25 now including Wind.
I keep buying them out of fear the game will no longer be available when I actually have the skill to play it properly... (like Gin'iro for example :\)
That's a pretty impressive investment.
Old 2007-01-24, 06:07
Vibeke

Awww, another great news concerning Wind: NNL's site went offline with this short mesage:
No Name Losers
http://nnl1.com - #nnl @ irc.zirc.org

This web site is offline until further notice. Good day.
- GipFace
Old 2007-01-27, 11:09
Visitor

ok, well, its goings to be hard, to start i dunno if the games will be in kanji, hiragana or katakana.
2ndly, its supposedly VERY hard to learn it, unless you was brought up with it.

[Edit Misu: sorry, your English was a bit hard to read, so I corrected it a bit]
Old 2007-01-27, 13:52
Addicted

Send a message via AIM to Misu Send a message via MSN to Misu Send a message via Yahoo to Misu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieo View Post
ok, well, its goings to be hard, to start i dunno if the games will be in kanji, hiragana or katakana.
2ndly, its supposedly VERY hard to learn it, unless you was brought up with it.
It's always hard to start learning a language, but with enough effort, almost anyone can do it. As for games, all games will be a combination of hiragana, katakana, and kanji as those are the roots of the Japanese language and any non children's works will be composed of all three.

As for language difficult, the majority of people I have talked to who have learned multiple language (one of the being Japanese) have claimed in comparison to many other languages, it is not as difficult of one to learn. My experience with is has also been the same. While any language is difficult to learn, the general consensus of people I have talked to believe it is one of the easier of the modern languages to learn.
Old 2007-01-28, 15:51
Obsessive

Send a message via AIM to Agilis

The bar for how much japanese you need to know to play games is much lower than the bar for even exchanging emails.

To be able to play a game, you don't need to be able to generate grammatical sentences yourself as is usually expected of you in any language class. Sure, you need to know grammar to be able to parse a sentence properly, but you don't have to think too much about proper word choice, and all the other little details that'd fail you out of class.

And luckily, the grammar for japanese tends to be very regular. Rules for how words behave/form apply quite consistently, so there's less things to memorize up front before you can start using it. (Power law distributions are fun!)

I started playing full japanese games with about 2 years of classes behind me in high school and we covered lots of grammar. I had probably 40-60% comprehension in games because I was too lazy to look things up all the time and filled the blanks in using context. But each game, things would come up repeatedly, and eventually you just learn them and it snowballs. My formal japanese education ended after those 2 years so everything else I learned is self-taught really, surprising how far you can get with that little.

So long as you remember that missing a sentence or phrase now and again won't usually break the main story, you can relax and not spend 15 minutes a sentence, which is no fun any way you slice it.
Old 2007-02-07, 01:33
Addicted

Rofl, to all the unbelievers: =P

Wind is out. Don't get too drunk!