gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2006-08-23, 10:39
Obsessive

Default Typing of Visual Novels

What are some good ones? I've typed with my index finger my whole life, which is a problem. Instead of dividng stress across all fingers, it all accumulates on my index fingers making it easy to acquire tendonitis. So I figured I should try some different ways of trying to relearn how to type properly, using the home row idea. And maybe try it with Typing of Visual Novel kind of games. I remember there was a Memories Off Typing. Any others?

And while I'm at it, anyone have recommendations for incredibly ergonomic keyboards and mouses?
Old 2006-08-23, 11:11
Regular

Default Re: Typing of Visual Novels

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonmasterX
And maybe try it with Typing of Visual Novel kind of games. I remember there was a Memories Off Typing. Any others?
Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito Typing Trouble comes to mind.
That is, if you want to learn typing kana, but I guess it should work, in theory.

Quote:
And while I'm at it, anyone have recommendations for incredibly ergonomic keyboards and mouses?
From my experience: (and my life is essentially spent typing) Definitely invest in a 'natural keyboard' - the kind which is divided into two halves. This not only significantly reduces the strain on the wrist but also eases learning to type properly (keeping specific fingers hitting specific keys is easier when you simply can't reach the other half) and allows you to type faster (I'm typing about 20% faster on natural keyboards than on the classic kind.) You'll get used to it in a couple of weeks of regular use, and the benefits are many. Don't even think that a keyboard which has all the letter keys in a single block is somehow ergonomic.

I'm using a Microsoft Natural Multimedia Keyboard 1.0A and I'm pretty happy with it. There are more expensive alternatives of this kind (split letters block, raised middle, palm support) but they hardly improve typing much. Most less-expensive split-middle keyboards don't have raised middle (which is important) or just have worse keys.

Mice are less of an issue if you're typing, and more dependent on the size and shape of your hands, so I'll leave them alone.
--- Maybe not the rest of Russia, but I certainly do.
Old 2006-08-23, 17:48
Addicted

Quote:
What are some good ones?
Leaf's Night Writer (from Inagawa de Ikou!) is rather amusing, although as with all typing games, it's not exactly a literary masterpiece.

Studio Kogado's Tristia/Neosphere fan discs also feature typing, although you'd probably have to have played the original games to enjoy them.

Finally, though not a visual novel, Sega/Smilebit's Typing of the Dead is fantastic and comes highly recommended.
Old 2006-08-23, 18:18
Obsessive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstCd2
Finally, though not a visual novel, Sega/Smilebit's Typing of the Dead is fantastic and comes highly recommended.
I second Typing of the Dead, it is by far the best typing game I've ever played or seen.

There's something absurdly satisfying about killing twenty or thirty little worms rapid fire by typing their individual letter, not to mention the zombies and what have you.
Old 2006-08-23, 18:20

Quote:
I absolutely love my Microsoft Natural 4000. I was given one at work, and I loved it so much, I bought one for home.
Old 2006-08-23, 20:55
kouryuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstCd2
oh man, I got a chance to play that at Otakon... That games is by far one of the best typing games I've seen.

House of the dead with keyboard instead of guns.
Old 2006-08-24, 00:51
Regular

Send a message via MSN to rednaxela

In F&C's Welcome to Pia Carrot!! series, there's also a typing game in one of the fandisks, the one for Pia Carrot 3 if my memory's correct.
I use all ten fingers to type and my fingers still hurt. If typing article or code is daily work, it always hurts. The way around is to give the fingers a rest at regular intervals...
Old 2006-10-20, 09:43
Obsessive

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Riot
Quote:
I absolutely love my Microsoft Natural 4000. I was given one at work, and I loved it so much, I bought one for home.
I just got my Natural4000 and am loving it too, but it's so elevated. When I reach my right hand over to the mouse, it feels really weird because the mouse is so low, I'm currently using no mouse pad. The previous mouse pad I used was advertised on the box as ergonomic, but it only hurt my wrist. Can anyone recommend a mouse pad that provides some elevation to keep it level with the Natural 4000?
Old 2006-10-20, 09:52
Obsessive

Send a message via AIM to Agilis

Quote:
I just got my Natural4000 and am loving it too, but it's so elevated. When I reach my right hand over to the mouse, it feels really weird because the mouse is so low, I'm currently using no mouse pad. The previous mouse pad I used was advertised on the box as ergonomic, but it only hurt my wrist. Can anyone recommend a mouse pad that provides some elevation to keep it level with the Natural 4000?
I'm being serious here and not making fun or anything, but I'd imagine a nice hardcover textbook with a common cheap mousepad or even a taut cloth could suit your exact needs better than any commercial offering at a fraction of the cost. If you're worried about your wrist hanging off, just get one of those mousepads with the gel wrist rests and cut it up if needed to put it in the right position.