gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > Technical Issues

Technical Issues For bug reports, problem solving, and help running Japanese software.

Old 2009-06-16, 15:45
Local

Default ONScripter Freezing Problem

In a few of the ONScripter releases, they seem to freeze during any transition into a new scene or a change in music.
Games that are affected:
A Dream of Summer
Jouka no Monshou
Narcissu
OMGWTFOTL
Flood of Tears

It's become somewhat of an annoyance to even play those games now, because they freeze unexpectedly. There is a 3 year old topic on this, but I didn't really want to bump it up that far. And there's really no help there.

Last edited by Magedark; 2009-06-16 at 15:49.
Old 2009-06-16, 22:22
Sonozaki Futago-tachi

Are you using Windows? Give this build a try: http://www.sendspace.com/file/vqjkpl

Mion (Sonozaki Futago-tachi)
Old 2009-06-16, 23:51
Local

All right that helped Sonozaki Futago-tachi. I just updated the DLL files on each of those and it worked. But for A Dream Of Summer, I just reinstalled it.

But on the topic on ONScripter, is there a way to change the save location to not be in the Application Data?
Old 2009-06-17, 03:23
dsp2003

Quote:
But on the topic on ONScripter, is there a way to change the save location to not be in the Application Data?
I second this. Since adding of this feature, it's really HARD to keep savegames after OS reinstallation.

Me, for example, have a single-user machine, so this "advanced" Windows feature only makes things worse.
Old 2009-06-17, 08:05

Send a message via ICQ to zalas

Perhaps it should store save games in "My Documents" instead, like a lot of more recent games.
Old 2009-06-17, 08:30
Sonozaki Futago-tachi

Hmm.

I'll look into the question of appropriate default savegame location after some more Higurashi work.

In the meantime, you can set the save directory manually by providing the command-line option "-s <directory>" to onscripter-en. (A Windows shortcut works pretty well for this.)

Mion (Sonozaki Futago-tachi)
Old 2009-06-17, 12:14
Local

I just prefer having a save directory where the game is actually held.

Can you elaborate on how to set the directory manually, because to be frank, I don't get it.
Old 2009-06-17, 13:12

You could create a "saves" directory and make a shortcut of onscripter-en.exe. Open the properties of the new shortcut and add "-s ./saves" to the path where it points to.
Like this.
Old 2009-06-20, 03:28
Obsessive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magedark View Post
I just prefer having a save directory where the game is actually held.
The whole point of the AppData ploy is that this isn't always possible. In many cases the application won't have create/modify/delete privileges in the installation directory, or any subidrectory of it. Application Data *should* be used for saving files, that's how Windows has been designed. Of course many games use My Documents instead, because most users cannot find AppData if they want to backup their saves, but this is not the "proper" way to go about it. (Of course this problem can be circumvented by creating an installer that tests for write access before installing the game, and/or adds modify+delete access to the directory upon install. But not everyone's a big fan of installers.)

Mion, don't forget about the idea we talked about to use the unimplemented savedir command for this stuff. ^_^ Oh, and if you ever get around to that, don't make it a define. Would be nice if it could accept a variable as parameter.
Old 2009-06-20, 06:23
dsp2003

Quote:
The whole point of the AppData
is a tons of garbage collected from various trashware on the Windows NT 5.1 and up.

Spoiler
Old 2009-06-20, 15:41

Send a message via ICQ to zalas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsp2003 View Post
is a tons of garbage collected from various trashware on the Windows NT 5.1 and up.

Spoiler
DOS\Win98 behavior would be fine if you wanted to throw multi-user support out the window.
Old 2009-06-20, 23:20
dsp2003

Offtopic:
Quote:
DOS\Win98 behavior would be fine if you wanted to throw multi-user support out the window.
Oh, that's exactly what I wish from the bottom of my heart. If you want multi-user support, go and install Linux + Wine.