gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > Production & Help

Production & Help For discussions regarding production aspects, especially localisation, of visual novels and related games.

Closed Thread

Old 2010-11-02, 20:21

Send a message via MSN to Hikari-chan Send a message via Skype™ to Hikari-chan
Default AIR

I know that there is a team translating AIR, but they're taking so long to do it -_- What I was wanting to do though was for those wanting to play, just give a rough summary of the scene and choices and make my own walkthrough for the game. The seen.txt is where all the lines from the game is, right? I'd need to read that, but there's that unicode problem with my copy of AIR's seen.txt where I obviously can't read it. Does anyone have a "clean" version of this scene.txt or at least something else I can go on rather than playing through the whole game and making notes along the way?
Old 2010-11-03, 23:13
Obsessive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari-chan View Post
I know that there is a team translating AIR, but they're taking so long to do it -_- What I was wanting to do though was for those wanting to play, just give a rough summary of the scene and choices and make my own walkthrough for the game. The seen.txt is where all the lines from the game is, right? I'd need to read that, but there's that unicode problem with my copy of AIR's seen.txt where I obviously can't read it. Does anyone have a "clean" version of this scene.txt or at least something else I can go on rather than playing through the whole game and making notes along the way?
SEEN.txt is not a normal readable text file. Assuming you have the standard edition, use RLDev to extract the text files.

Get RLDev,
extract it somewhere, and type this into cmd.exe

set RLDEV=PATH_TO_YOUR_RLDEV
cd c:\key\AIR_SE\
kprl -d -o seen_files -e utf8 seen.txt\

Done correctly this should make a folder with all the SEEN files in UTF-8 encoding.

Best of luck :)

Last edited by jyuichi; 2010-11-03 at 23:16.
Old 2010-11-04, 08:02
Unregistered

Quote:
I know that there is a team translating AIR, but they're taking so long to do it -_-
Currently there is no group working on Air
Old 2010-11-04, 21:29

@jyuichi Thanks, I'll try that out and I'll post again here if it doesn't work^^

@unregistered person Umm.... As far as I was aware, there was and they're 53% through. Unless they decided to stop translating it....
Old 2010-11-05, 18:12
Local

Quote:
@jyuichi Thanks, I'll try that out and I'll post again here if it doesn't work^^

@unregistered person Umm.... As far as I was aware, there was and they're 53% through. Unless they decided to stop translating it....
The translation was stopped, since the translator was MIA.
Old 2010-11-09, 20:58

@ appztetra Really? Well, I'll take up the translation of AIR then!XD I have some people that would be happy enough to help too^^ If someone else is still doing this, speak now or forever hold this peace =_=

@jyuichi Thanks for showing me rldev, it worked a charm^^ I had fun getting out ALL of the images from the game from g00 to png too!XD
Old 2010-11-11, 01:55
Unregistered

Quote:
@ appztetra Really? Well, I'll take up the translation of AIR then!XD I have some people that would be happy enough to help too^^ If someone else is still doing this, speak now or forever hold this peace =_=
Go for it. If you actually do end up doing this, you will be my new favourite person ever <3
Old 2010-11-11, 02:52
Local

You should ask the previous group what's up and see if you can get their completed translations. It would shorten the time needed a lot.
Old 2010-11-11, 21:14
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimoto View Post
You should ask the previous group what's up and see if you can get their completed translations. It would shorten the time needed a lot.
A huge chunk of it was machine translated, so you're better off starting from scratch.
Old 2010-11-12, 11:34

@Unregistered: Got any proof?

@Hikari-chan: One of the main reasons why AIR's translation died off: http://novelnews.net/2010/07/30/visu...le-cd-notices/
Old 2010-11-12, 14:42

@Kenn Why should that be such a problem if your only supplying a translation? -_- It's not like you're supplying illegal downloads of the game too. Besides, the crime would be if you were trying to make a profit out of it.

And as soon as I can get this ^ issue sorted out, I would definately start a translation of it, if not, I'll just go back to the walkthrough again. And a note that I would be starting from scratch; I don't want conflicting translations.
Old 2010-11-12, 15:25
Obsessive

Quote:
@Kenn Why should that be such a problem if your only supplying a translation? -_- It's not like you're supplying illegal downloads of the game too. Besides, the crime would be if you were trying to make a profit out of it.
Please let's not start another entirely incorrect and uninformed debate about the legality of translation. Unpermitted distribution of a translation of an existing work IS copyright infringement, and therefor illegal, in practically all countries that have regular access to internet. There's no gray area, there are no mitigating circumstances. Copyright infringement is copyright infringement. You could verify this very easily if you would actually pick up any introductory reading material about (inter)national copyright laws.

tl;dr: Get your facts straight.
Old 2010-11-12, 15:41

@Message Well, I'm not familiar with anything like that and this is my first time I'm considering doing something like this.

Can anyone think of a way around this? It's looking more likely I'll have to stick with the walkthrough. How did Kanon managed to get translated in that case? The problem is that I'm planning my own visual novels for the future and I can't risk conflicts like that.
Old 2010-11-12, 15:45

Besides, the reason wasn't whether if it's illegal or not, the reason was VisualArt's asked us to stop. For a project that didn't have much life anyway, that C&D just served as the final nail in the coffin.
Old 2010-11-12, 19:24
Unregistered

@Hikari-chan Air needs a translation. I doubt Visual arts will ever release a translation for it. Why don't you start a project and see what happens. Maybe VA won't send your group a C&D.
Closed Thread