gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2009-07-05, 09:35
Local

Send a message via AIM to pbsaffran Send a message via Skype™ to pbsaffran

Yeah, 500k words in 3 months, sure.
How many indian slaves will they have on this, 20 ?
Old 2009-07-05, 11:49
Obsessive

Wuh? 500k words? Bigger than the first 4 harry potter books combined? o_O
Old 2009-07-05, 12:38
Obsessive

so?
tsukihime was 610
Old 2009-07-05, 12:50
Obsessive

Yeah, but Tsukihime was a long bitch. I can clear a higu chap in 2~3 days. With SLEEP! If it's true, it's just surprising to me.
Old 2009-07-05, 12:53
Local

The whole 3 higurashi CDs are 1.3 million words, if we really want to compare e-penises.

At the end of the day, Manga Gamer doesn't have a clue what they are up to, they most certainly don't have the money to do it either. It's a sad story, but maybe something good will come out of it.
Old 2009-07-05, 13:17

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...-visual-novels
Quote:
According to the company, the license includes the first eight personal computer games, which 07th Expansion calls "sound novels." MangaGamer.com plans to release the first part of the series at the end of October, followed by next one about two months later.
Old 2009-07-05, 13:50
Obsessive

Maybe they got more staff? :3
Old 2009-07-05, 14:18
Local

Well, let's look at the figures.
3 millions jp characters, that's roughly 500 days of work. That's for the first draft.
Let's imagine they somehow get to convert the nscript to the proper engine in the process.
You still need to check the text, then check it on screen, change graphic text, etc.
They will need at least 5 superhumans to do that work - and they obviously don't even have one *decent* guy on their staff.
That's not how you work. They just are cheap - I would rather they closed business ere they tackle such an important project.
Old 2009-07-05, 14:42
Obsessive

I know! They'd need people that did nothing but translate for a living... Translators, if you will. Where would they find such a beast, much less 4!?!

They're obviously not above finding outside help. Let's just wait and see what they do.
Old 2009-07-05, 14:50
Obsessive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTX View Post
Yeah, but Tsukihime was a long bitch. I can clear a higu chap in 2~3 days. With SLEEP! If it's true, it's just surprising to me.
it only felt long, the difference between good writers and bad lol
Old 2009-07-05, 14:59
Unregistered

Higurashi is one thing but Umineko translation is already finished for all the released games so doing it all over again is pure nonsesense considering it is bound to be worse in terms of quality anyways. If they ever get to license When they cry 3 as well then doing separate translation would just be a waste of time and money.
Old 2009-07-05, 21:55
Obsessive

No one said they got license for Umineko, I would hardly thinks so too, since Ryukishi is aware and approves english patch, thus there is no way he would license it..... no way he would license... how funny, I think he would license even his grandmother, lol
Old 2009-07-05, 22:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enerccio View Post
No one said they got license for Umineko, I would hardly thinks so too, since Ryukishi is aware and approves english patch, thus there is no way he would license it..... no way he would license... how funny, I think he would license even his grandmother, lol
There is something that could be taken as a hint to Umineko, but it could also mean one of many other things as well. Currently on the MangaGamer website you can search by category, however there are 7 categories without a title yet associated with them (Higurashi is not searchable yet, and that will obviously be "Bizarre/Mystery" and perhaps Action.)

Action
Bizarre/Mystery
Science Fiction
Historical
Family
Near Future
Western Mansion

Western Mansion is a strange category to include, but Umineko would fall under it. Of course Western Mansion could be for one of many other games as well.
Old 2009-07-05, 22:44
Obsessive

Send a message via AIM to Moogy

Yeah, if eroge are to be believed, then Japan is positively teeming with gigantic western-style mansions inhabited by moe ojou-samas and maids. I don't think that's really a hint at Umineko, to be honest.
Old 2009-07-06, 00:38

well they have permission to do an English? translation... and sell it. did they license it? mangagamer is EU based right? will this be in English or some other EU language?

Wasnt Higurashi already licensed in France? Wouldnt they have gotten EU rights as well? or did they let that slip?

The twins also got permission to do an English translation and patch for the JP original version...

"However, it turns out that we didn't really need their permission or official recognition to do this project. We found out from chronotrig, at the Witch Hunt Umineko translation project, that they actually consider translation groups like ours to be doing 'derivative works' (二次創作). They address groups who do such works at the top of the FAQ (よくある質問) page at the 07th-Expansion website. I suggest you check the original Japanese more carefully for the details, but in short Ryuukishi07 is allowing anyone to make derivative works based on his characters and story setting, within reason (he references an infamous Pokemon doujishi as an example of going too far). So long as you "do it with love" and take responsibility for what you produce as ultimately YOUR product and not theirs, they don't mind."

So you can say that the Mangagamer version is their own and not Ryuukishi07's... I dont know JP so I dont know what the FAQ says about selling of "derivative works". But it seems the JP company doesnt mind, unless they update their FAQ I dont see why anyone working on a translation will NEED to stop. They may thou if they feel their energy could be better spent elsewhere. However I am not a fan of Mangagamer's translation quality.