gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-15, 02:14
Phineas Lucis

Default Visual Novels & the Future of gaming

I am currently starting this thread during a lack of time, so, as such, I will not be ablt put as much content and opinion as I originally wished to do so. However, I will provide some links to illustrate the thoughts in my head.

However, noting that I am still doing my research on the subject, and I'm still pretty much young when it comes to games journalism (there are some far more advanced then I am), I feel like taking the time to look at this:

Before I begin, I would like to ask how many people here have played visual novels on the PS2. And, for those who are really vintage, is there anyone here, who has played eroge PC-FX.

Moving on, the subject of this thread first came to my mind during the writing of this article on a pro-Wii website:

http://thewiikly.zogdog.com/article....le=51&ed=5&p=1

http://www.insertcredit.com/archives/001337.html

While it is, admittedly, pro-Wii, it does acknowledge that the advent of the Playstation meant the end of cartridge-based games, and, to a slight extent, the end of simpler, small budget games. Although I think this personal claim is unwarranted, I do feel that, to some extent, the emphasis on games with bigger budgets, and with, a greater emphasis on gameplay and visuals meant the demise and lack of interest in the adventure game genre in the West, though I can definitely say that the rise of 3D-graphic games came about at the same time.

Anyway, I mentioned that link, because, as I rememebred that earlier incident, various things have happened recently that make me wonder:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...tvk&refer=asia

http://www.insertcredit.com/archives/001731.html

http://kotaku.com/gaming/notag/akiha...sta-243723.php

http://kotaku.com/gaming/top/vista-d...lay-232329.php

http://kotaku.com/gaming/fate-tiger-colosseum/

http://flamewaradvance.blogspot.com/...it-begins.html

http://kotaku.com/gaming/notag/clip-...pan-254998.php

Alright, so the Vista bits were mostly humourous, and that one DS game was a doujin game, but there were a few bits that got me interested. After all, the fact that SNK produced a game, which isn't really ero-ero by any means, but was along its line, could mean an eventual change in the future SNK (mind you, I'm saying this as one big KOF fan, but any prospect of an SNK eroge is.... intriguing) The fact that Capcom is doing a fate game means that eroge, or rather, doujin visual novels, are starting to become a part of the mainstream. And aside from that, the market, if anything, seems to be mroe oriented towards innovation and interactivity then just the big budget, as indicated by the losses the PS3 made to the Wii. I also added that one bit about card games as I have played Sangokushi Taisen (there's a few machines at Schaumburg, Illinois), and aside from representing a possible revival in arcades, it only goes to show that there is a greater emphasis on 'tactile-type' interactivity.

I don't know how this will all add up in the future, and I have more research to do in this department, but I suspect that this may all affect the future of visual novels as a whole. It could mean its slow demise (the PS2 was a medium for the genre, and an emphasis on interactivity, which is not something you can get much out of a visual novel), or, with the advent of Vista and the Wii, it could mean a completely new generation of eroge, and mayve even a revival and expansion.

Last edited by Phineas Lucis; 2007-05-15 at 20:54.
Old 2007-05-15, 02:55
Unregistered

I'll get straight to the point- You very obviously have no idea what the hell you're talking about.
Old 2007-05-15, 04:19
byndhrzn

I don't understand what are you on about either, all I can say future of erogames got hardly anything to do with home consoles.
Old 2007-05-15, 04:44
Unregistered

What the fuck is this shit?

-There are no eroge on the PS2.

-Nintendo hates anything not kid-friendly.

-Most of the DS pictures floating around are obviously photoshops and you're an idiot if you think they're real.

-What the fuck does Vista have to do with interactivity?

-For that matter, despite what that shitty blog might have you think lots of games have problems running on Vista and have to be played with Microsoft Virtual PC.

-What the fuck do Aquarian Age and a Capcom fighting game have to do with this?

-Those recommendation sign things in Japanese stores are done by the staff. Sometimes they contain short reviews. Sometimes they have comic strips. In this case it's obviously someone just trying to be funny and if you take it seriously you need your head examined.

In short,

Hint: Shitty blogs are not good journalism.
Old 2007-05-15, 04:46
Unregistered

Quote:
...but I suspect that this may all affect the future of visual novels as a whole. It could mean its slow demise (the PS2 was a medium for the genre, and an emphasis on interactivity, which is not something you can get much out of a visual novel), or, with the advent of Vista and the Wii, it could mean a completely new generation of eroge, and mayve even a revival and expansion.
I personally suspect that they're just going to, you know, keep releasing games on the PC. Like they always have. And then release consumer versions on home consoles. Like they always have.

And I still fail to see what the hell Vista has to do with anything.
Old 2007-05-15, 06:25
Obsessive

Send a message via AIM to Agilis

On behalf of the community and the patron deities of sentience, I hereby thank all the kind Unregistereds for the blowing incomprehensible pomposity out of the water with divinely inspired swiftness.
Old 2007-05-15, 07:33
Unregistered

>>After all, the fact that SNK produced a game

Not a novel game, genius. Another random DS let's-have-fun-with-the-touch-screen game.

>>but any prospect of an SNK eroge is

Another random DS let's-have-fun-with-the-touch-screen game to 18-kin game, great jump here. Genius at work.

Quote:
The fact that Capcom is doing a fate game means that eroge, or rather, doujin visual novels, are starting to become a part of the mainstream.
It's not a novel game at all and Fate isn't fucking doujin, do you even know what doujin is? Genius at work.

Quote:
And aside from that, the market, if anything, seems to be mroe oriented towards innovation and interactivity then just the big budget, as indicated by the losses the PS3 made to the Wii.
Sony already makes huge losses from just selling the fucking things. GENIUS AT WORK.

Quote:
I also added that one bit about card games as I have played Sangokushi Taisen (there's a few machines at Schaumburg, Illinois), and aside from representing a possible revival in arcades, it only goes to show that there is a greater emphasis on 'tactile-type' interactivity.
America is not Japan. Also, card games? HA. Off the top of my head, Charon, Senjou no Kizuna, Aimasu, Renza. And you'll never get those in America. Or are you talking about a possible revival in Japanese arcades? If so, GENIUS AT WORKINGS.

Quote:
I don't know how this will all add up in the future, and I have more research to do in this department, but I suspect that this may all affect the future of visual novels as a whole. It could mean its slow demise (the PS2 was a medium for the genre, and an emphasis on interactivity, which is not something you can get much out of a visual novel), or, with the advent of Vista and the Wii, it could mean a completely new generation of eroge, and mayve even a revival and expansion.
I' m laughgging too harrd to typpr at tihs poitnt
Old 2007-05-15, 11:01
Addicted

Send a message via AIM to Misu Send a message via MSN to Misu Send a message via Yahoo to Misu

Okay, we might be getting a little mean here Unregistered. Try to tone it down just slightly >_<...

On that note though, I'd have to agree with Unregistered that eroge and the console market are two completely different entities.

When your dealing with 18+ items, you box yourself into a demographic that doesn't leak out to mainstream easily because of the inherent moral issues and restricted viewing placed upon an item. Sure, in Japan it's pretty well understood that if an eroge does well with the 18+ market and its story is convertible to a mainstream title, then we can make mainstream ports of it.

Notice I said "does well" instead of "is good". What is boils down to is not innovation or anything fancy like that. It's pure otaku marketing. Companies will want to squeeze as much money out of a popular product as possible, so if your eroge is popular, theres no exception about that rule. Console ports are just a logical succession to milk more money out of your same target market with very little investment or work. It's cheap money that drives eroge into the mainstream market.

Capcom doesn't care about eroge. They care that Fate/stay night is popular and that they can make a chibi fighter from it and bring in the dough. If Fate wasnt as popular as it is... then they would really give a rats ass about the market.

And Doki Doki Majou has a pretty low Cero ranking (C or roughly 15+), so what your perceiving of the game is probably quite skewed from over hype created by the internet.

Finally, if you want to talk about REAL attempts at the "eroge" style, or more accurately - visual novels, in the main stream market, you have to look at things like KIDs line up, or Kimi Kisu. Visual novels that were made original for the PS2 and were never 18+. And sadly, its a very hard market to be in, as see by the very few successful titles that have come from that camp.

Oh, and yes, I have played visual novels/ADV games on the PS2 and Dreamcast. I've yet to play an eroge on either system though, and somehow I doubt I ever will in my lifetime >=P.

Edit: I just noticed this...
Quote:
It could mean its slow demise (the PS2 was a medium for the genre, and an emphasis on interactivity, which is not something you can get much out of a visual novel)
As long as not all men are granted with perfect women of their innermost desires and fetishes that will do their every bidding, there will be eroge, because as the famous phrase in America says, "Sex Sells".
Old 2007-05-15, 13:34
rg4619

Any changes in the home console market are unlikely to affect eroge. As others have mentioned, these are largely independent markets that target different demographics.

Nonetheless, I'll concede that galge on consumer platforms might well be affected. Platforms like the Nintendo DS are popular with casual gamers and are cheap to develop for, so publishers are bound to experiment (i.e. KID started work on NDS development just prior to its bankruptcy). The same goes for mobile phones.
Old 2007-05-15, 14:35
Asmadi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misu
Capcom doesn't care about eroge. They care that Fate/stay night is popular and that they can make a chibi fighter from it and bring in the dough. If Fate wasnt as popular as it is... then they would really give a rats ass about the market.
Even then, you know they don't care when they farm out the development to Cavia of all people.

Console galge-marketing is pure tapping into the otaku niche and pulling as much money from it as one can, whether it's through appeal, franchise, or porting of PC titles because people will buy it twice+gullible people will buy on PS2 = profit.
Old 2007-05-15, 15:20
Unregistered

Do you people really know what you're talking about? Because you really shouldn't be writing about things you know nothing about if you don't.

And note that playing three games and reading some Wikipedia articles doesn't suddenly make you an expert on the subject.
Old 2007-05-15, 15:39
Asmadi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Do you people really know what you're talking about? Because you really shouldn't be writing about things you know nothing about if you don't.

And note that playing three games and reading some Wikipedia articles doesn't suddenly make you an expert on the subject.
Unless you're referring to the OP, I highly suggest you tone down that condescending attitude of yours. There are quite a few people on here that are knowledgeable on the subject, not just you.
Old 2007-05-15, 15:48
Unregistered

――何か心当たりでもあるのか?
Old 2007-05-15, 16:10
Asmadi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
――何か心当たりでもあるのか?
当たり前だよ....
Old 2007-05-15, 16:18
Unregistered

あっそ。