gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2006-06-01, 06:54
Obsessive

Default Get a Life!

For those of you that play games all the time, has anyone ever told you "get a life"? How do you respond to that?

I think they're full of **** when they say that. How is playing video games all the time not a life? Video games ARE my life. It's what I enjoy doing, and I also learn Japanese from games(I play Japanese rpgs and visual novels mainly). Is it more of a "life" to be spending free time by going out often with friends, significant others and/or going to parties to dance, get drunk, and sleep with strangers every night? I generally find that stuff boring in comparison to games, so why should I have to do that in order to "have a life"?

However, I do feel that it's important to take breaks from games, and exercise often, to stave off health problems, especially chronic pain like tendonitis, eye strain, carpal tunnel syndrome, herniated discs, etc.
Old 2006-06-01, 07:06
Staff

I think they do it, however, because[list=1]back in my day, we didn't have those fancy-schmancy conputtawhatchavits. We used to go outside and play with our neighbors, and when it was dark, we'd go inside and listen to the radio or watch TV, and back in my day, we di'nt have color, neither!</old_fogey>

But to be honest, I've only heard that used like, what, thirty times in my life?
Old 2006-06-01, 07:09
Ex-boss

Nah, it's not old fogeys. They hate anyone to "have a life", because that might involve stuff like alcohol and sex. Old fogeys just don't want you to do anything you enjoy, period.

"A life" is a construct created by the extrovert majority, which they use to oppress introverts and try to force us to conform to their standards. They do this because they feel threatened by our existence, and because (as a majority) they believe they should get to make the rules.

But we have rights too. And if the lifestyle we choose involves being alone and playing games, who the hell are they to tell us that that's not a valid choice?

It seems bizarre that today's politically-correct society, having eliminated discrimination against women, people of colour, people with disabilities, gays, adherents of any religion, and just about every other minority you care to pick on, still permits open abuse of anyone who dares favour use of their brain over use of their mouth...
Old 2006-06-01, 09:21
rodan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritsnare
I think they do it, however, because[list=1]back in my day, we didn't have those fancy-schmancy conputtawhatchavits. We used to go outside and play with our neighbors, and when it was dark, we'd go inside and listen to the radio or watch TV, and back in my day, we di'nt have color, neither!</old_fogey>

But to be honest, I've only heard that used like, what, thirty times in my life?

Yeah, well back in my dad's day, he didn't have electricity, television, cellular phones, or soap! All he had was raisins, and he was happy.

But I guess it might be fun to go outside for a while. Since it's summer, I guess I could just wander around the country in a turtle neck, searching for some chick with wings.
Old 2006-06-01, 09:37
Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeleth
But we have rights too. And if the lifestyle we choose involves being alone and playing games, who the hell are they to tell us that that's not a valid choice?
An interesting read - and one I agree with all the more after spending most of my working life in an industry characterised by extroverts and firm emails stressing the importance of 'networking skills'.

While I'm all for Millsian self-fulfillment, however, I'd have to add that as a matter of practical reality, not having the skills to at least 'fake it', as the author puts, is likely to become a real obstacle in life both socially (in the purely 'getting-by' sense) and career-wise. This isn't to say that jerks who tell you to 'get a life' in order to validate their own lifestyles are right, but I could certainly see why relatives would be concerned about individuals who choose to reject such things outright.

Quote:
It seems bizarre that today's politically-correct society, having eliminated discrimination against women, people of colour, people with disabilities, gays, adherents of any religion, and just about every other minority you care to pick on, still permits open abuse of anyone who dares favour use of their brain over use of their mouth...
In all fairness, I'm pretty sure most reasonable people would agree that it's wrong to judge someone purely because they don't enjoy small talk - although as with sexism and racism, hypothetical condemnation is unlikely to stop its unconscious practice. The reason you don't see the public and political song and dance about it is mainly because it's too amorphous an issue to address through the solutions we've seen for other kinds of discrimination (social movements, legislative action, and so forth).

[Note to self: Learn to use the 'preview' button!]
Old 2006-06-01, 09:44
Visitor

I heard this often enough. My simple reply is this is my life I do as I please. Maybe it is a waste of time but then again so is fishing.
Old 2006-06-01, 11:17

Send a message via ICQ to zalas

Am I like the only person who thought of this at first?
http://www.hook-net.jp/htm/likelife/
<_<;
Old 2006-06-01, 13:27
inuyasha9854

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas
Am I like the only person who thought of this at first?
http://www.hook-net.jp/htm/likelife/
<_<;
Why am I getting ready to cause some pain here? My wallet must be avenged....at some point
Old 2006-06-01, 14:02
Obsessive

Send a message via MSN to Carl

My life is to be enjoyed, and I'm not going to let anyone who forfeited their chances at enjoying life tell me otherwise.
Old 2006-06-01, 14:58
Obsessive

Send a message via ICQ to Shii

Quote:
What an excellent article-- the original that's linked to, that is.

I am often concerned about whether I'm spending my time well, but that's because I've never figured out what I really want. Mainly I want solitude, moƩ, peace on Earth, and a girlfriend, and when I schedule these things together there are a lot of conflicts.
Old 2006-06-01, 15:43

Quote:
[list=1]back in my day, we didn't have those fancy-schmancy conputtawhatchavits. We used to go outside and play with our neighbors, and when it was dark, we'd go inside and listen to the radio or watch TV, and back in my day, we di'nt have color, neither!</old_fogey>
Cranky Kong much?

Old 2006-06-03, 11:39
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikawil
Quote:
[list=1]back in my day, we didn't have those fancy-schmancy conputtawhatchavits. We used to go outside and play with our neighbors, and when it was dark, we'd go inside and listen to the radio or watch TV, and back in my day, we di'nt have color, neither!</old_fogey>
Cranky Kong much?
<cranky>I remember when arcades din't even exist! I wish my son had gone off to do something more productive, like say bike making, but he had to go off with those neeeenteeenduuuu lunatics! Sure, they offered me a job later, but I'm too old for this kinda stuff...</cranky>