gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2009-05-24, 19:09
Visitor

Default Air plush merchandise?

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone knew where to find Air plush dolls, Misuzu especially. I saw one of her giving a "V" on a blog a long while ago and I've always wanted one, but my japanese isnt good enough to find one online and no english-speaking shops sell it that I can find....

Any info would be great :) thanks.
Old 2009-05-24, 21:28
Obsessive

I found a store with a picture of a Kano plush but they only have a Michiru one left (listed under Kanon no less).

http://yukariskawaiishop.com/kanon-m...001-p-164.html
Old 2009-05-26, 02:52
Regular

They also have seifuku-Shiori listed as Mishio... >_>
God, I want a Sakamoto Maaya-- err, Mishio plush so bad, though... >_<
Old 2009-05-26, 21:26
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuki_tsumotteru View Post
They also have seifuku-Shiori listed as Mishio... >_>
God, I want a Sakamoto Maaya-- err, Mishio plush so bad, though... >_<
Wait, hang on. You're saying Maaya Sakamoto did one of the voices in AIR? Eh? Because that would actually make me want to read it...
Old 2009-05-26, 21:27
Posts way too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apples View Post
Wait, hang on. You're saying Maaya Sakamoto did one of the voices in AIR? Eh? Because that would actually make me want to read it...
You wouldn't want to read it otherwise? Why not?
Old 2009-05-26, 21:28
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asceai View Post
You wouldn't want to read it otherwise? Why not?
It just hasn't really grabbed me. It sounds kinda like Kanon, you know, a nice true love story without anything really unique about it.

EDIT: Ahhh, it's Kanon she's in! Well now I have a reason to read that, then.

Last edited by Apples; 2009-05-26 at 21:34.
Old 2009-05-26, 21:41
Posts way too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apples View Post
It just hasn't really grabbed me. It sounds kinda like Kanon, you know, a nice true love story without anything really unique about it.
Except Kanon has Mai's route.

And AIR has Summer and Air.

These games are all fairly short, and they ARE classics of the genre for a reason. You really should read them, god-tier seiyuu or not =p
Old 2009-05-27, 15:28
Regular

Quote:
god-tier seiyuu or not =p
Hee, Maaya-san is god-tier now? I mean, she always has been to me, but... I wonder, was it her playing Shiki that put her up there for the average fan? :D

But yes as previously (somewhat opaquely) mentioned, she has a supporting role in Kanon as Mishio Amano. And I quite like Kanon (as my username should make obvious :B), and would recommend giving it a spin; there's more to it than an average renai game/eroge, and it's also one of the few games that truly made me laugh. One of these days I am going to dig through those voice files until I find Nayuki saying "ninjin suki da monnnnn...." so I can use it for a ringtone.
Old 2009-05-27, 16:05
Regular

I actually started watching Kanon (2002) because I'd heard Maaya would be in it. She appeared only in next-to-last episode or so... orz.
Old 2009-05-27, 16:16
Posts way too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuki_tsumotteru View Post
Hee, Maaya-san is god-tier now? I mean, she always has been to me, but... I wonder, was it her playing Shiki that put her up there for the average fan? :D
Well, she's not god-tier to ME, but that's only because I've not really heard her - she doesn't play roles in eroges, after all! I have my own god-tier seiyuu =p
Old 2009-05-28, 02:35
Local

Quote:
And AIR has Summer and Air.
In my book especially the former being a very striking argument for giving AIR "a try". Although thinking about reasons that speak for the greatness of this Soft brings up so much more fond memories of great moments (i.e. the Michiru / Minagi paths).
In short as others noted already, these games are rightfully considered classics for a reason regardless of Seiyuu (of course going through AIR as non-voiced Standard Edition I wouldn't know otherwise either ^_~)!
Old 2009-05-28, 18:48
Regular

Haha, okay, I guess with the impending Kanon translation completion I will have to get around to it.
Oh and by the way, I only found out Maaya did voice acting recently - but I've been a huge fan of her music for years.
Old 2009-05-29, 04:12
Regular

It's funny you say that, seeing as according to interviews, her original goal was just to become a singer - she was advised to pursue voice acting because many seiyuu also get singing careers out of it. :D That's definitely what made her stand out to me at first, though - her involvement with Kanno Yoko was the gateway drug.

OT, I just sent in my application for tickets to the Tokyo production of Les Miserables this Monday, after praying for years that Maaya's run as Eponine wouldn't be over before I had a chance to see it. SO HAPPY~

Last edited by yuki_tsumotteru; 2009-05-29 at 04:21.
Old 2009-05-29, 13:19
Visitor

Send a message via AIM to Kefit

I'm something of a bishoujo plushie collector, and have tracked down these plushies - among many others - over the past few years. I can't actually point you towards a place that has them, but I can give you information that might help you find them. Finding plushies for sale - especially older ones - is difficult, as there is a good element of luck involved. You simply have to be in the right place at the right time.

Generally, online stores don't have much in the way of bishoujo plushies, especially older ones. You might luck out and find something occasionally (I had the good fortune to run into the practically non-existant Nemu and Kotori plushies in a store a couple of years ago), but you shouldn't count on it. Just do a Google search for something like "[character name or series name] plush" and if a store exists that has them it should pop up.

I've tried searching for Japan based online shops that carry plushies, but I've never found one that deals with second-hand sales. The Air plushies, like many others, are available only on the second hand market right now.

Which takes us to the next logical step - auction sites. The vast majority of my collection has been obtained through online auctions. The first choice is of course ebay. It's in English, easy to use, and a surprising amount of worthwhile plushies pop up on it. However, this is where luck really comes into play. Most auctions only last for a week or less, and sought after items that are put on Buy It Now can disappear at any time. Thankfully competition for plushies typically isn't fierce, but things like Air plushes will almost definitely have other people gunning after them. You'll have to be diligent and search ebay for "Air plush" every few days - for a long time. An auction for them will pop up. Eventually. And you don't want to miss it when it does.

The second option is Yahoo Auctions Japan. For some reason the Japanese don't like ebay and use YAJ almost exclusively unless they are specifically trying to sell stuff to overseas. Of course, YAJ is entirely in Japanese, but this shouldn't be a problem. It just means that you will have to enter search terms in Japanese. The Japanese word for stuffed doll, which covers plushies, stuffed animals, and some other stuff, is ぬいぐるみ. And English Wikipedia pages for any given series will almost always have the Japanese series and character names included, so you can just copy and paste those from there. Combine that with a copy pasted ぬいぐるみ and you are all set for searching YAJ.

You may already know that YAJ users generally don't offer to ship their stuff overseas. This is a real shame, since this simply causes them to miss out on sales. You will have to use an online courier service to work around this. I recommend www.shoppingmalljapan.com or www.japan-auction-agency.com. Both services will use Japan offices to buy stuff form YAJ (or Japanese online stores) and ship it to you for a fee. The fee is annoying, but sometimes there is simply no other way to get this stuff. You will have to live with it.

And that's about it. I really wish there was a better solution for finding these things, but in the end it's more a matter of luck and perseverance than anything else.

As a bit of an appendix, here's some info on what's out there as far as Kanon and Air plushies go.

Kanon:
First plushie set. Five plushies, one each of Ayu, Nayuki, Mai, Shiori, and Makoto. These plushies look like utter shit when viewed in person (I know from personal experience) and I don't suggest getting them unless you must have every piece of Kanon merchandise you can get your hands on.

Second plushie set. Larger, higher quality plushies of Ayu, Nayuki, Mai, Shiori, Makoto, and Keroppi.. The girls all are in different outfits from the first set. The Shiori is often mislabeled as a Mishio due to the rarity with which Shiori wears the seifuku in the series. These plushies are much higher quality than the first set. However, they are pretty difficult to find now - I've been searching for the Ayu for a long time after letting one stupidly slip away about a year ago.

Third plushie set. I've never been able to find out much info on this. I own a Kaori from it, and have seen a single image of the Nayuki from it (she is in her PJs, like the second set Nayuki).

Air:
12" tall plushies of Misuzu, Minagi, and Kano. These are quite nice, but good luck finding them. The recent nature of this auction should reinforce the necessity of checking for these things every few days if you really do want them.

Four smaller plushies. One each of Misuzu, Minagi, Kano, and Michiru. The Michiru from this set seems to appear for sale fairly often, but I've only ever seen the Misuzu and Minagi for sale once, as part of a complete set that was very expensive. I'd suggest picking up the Kano I linked to if you are at all interested in it, since you may never see it again. This is the set that the Misuzu giving the V plush is from.

Wow, I really didn't mean to write an essay about this. Oh well, I hope this info is useful to someone :x

Last edited by Kefit; 2009-05-29 at 15:14.
Old 2009-05-29, 20:55
Regular

On the contrary, I think it's a nice guide to have. The Air ones sure are something... I searched Y!JP on a whim just now, and found this: http://page7.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g73978430 offering the smaller Kano and Minagi for a not-too-terrible price. If only I had room in my tiny apartment for more toys, I'd be all over these. Minagi in particular has the prettiest hair I've ever seen on a UFO plush.