gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2010-08-08, 14:03
Obsessive

Send a message via AIM to Agilis
Default Project t0rama

Yup, I've gone and found myself a new project, and this time I'm going to take as many people I can along for the ride!

http://www.neechin.net/article/161/p...ranslator-army

Coinciding with the launch of the main proper-permission.org site too. Hopefully it'll provide a good working example of the site so other projects can pick it up.

On top of just translating Kisaragi no Hougyoku (details on the blog post), I'm also going out on a limb here and inviting anyone who thinks they can translate to join. I've said many times that I don't like working with people I don't know, but the problem is, I'll never know any new people otherwise. So throwing that out the window, just about anyone can join!

Experience is not required. I've got a few experienced VN translators on board already, and we're all going to help each other out, with mentoring as needed. All you need is the ability to understand Japanese, and be able to write decent English, the team will make you feel at home.

Don't have time? That's fine, the script was cut up into bite-sized chunks (about a day or so of work each). You're not committing to a 6 month project. So long as you can work on a script, and later check someone else's script (just like they'll check yours) then you're welcome to join us.

The goal is to get something usable in 1-2 months time. Success is measured on two metrics:
1) Did the participants meet some new translators?
2) Did we learn something about our work and how to do our work?

Last edited by Agilis; 2010-08-09 at 08:18.
Old 2010-08-08, 22:10
Local

I'm in for it like everyone on Google Wave.
Old 2010-08-08, 23:38
Posts way too much

I'LL JOIN!!
Old 2010-08-09, 04:23
Local

This sounds pretty awesome. I'll help, but probably only a few scripts. (If there are no voices, it's more difficult for me to translate)

Last edited by Minimoto; 2010-08-09 at 04:25.
Old 2010-08-09, 08:21
Obsessive

Send a message via AIM to Agilis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimoto View Post
This sounds pretty awesome. I'll help, but probably only a few scripts. (If there are no voices, it's more difficult for me to translate)
That's fine, there's a few other participants that can't commit to more than one or two scripts for time reasons.

Easiest way to join is to sign up for an account on the site, and then go to the t0rama project and open up a New Issue to me so I can add you as a translator. It'll auto-email me, and also email you back after I close the ticket \o/

Otherwise you'd have to find me on irc or something to get me to add, which is more confused.
Old 2010-08-15, 05:20

If I wasn't already with another project I'd join in a heartbeat. My fullest support to you Agilis. Thank you for doing this. This is huge.

A bit disappointed hearing TLwiki people hate on your project (the ones in IRC anyway). Feuds between fan translators are completely incomprehensible to me.
Old 2010-08-16, 11:18
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosign View Post
Feuds between fan translators are completely incomprehensible to me.
It could be a lot worse......like the early ROM translation scene.
Old 2010-08-19, 01:32
noname

Quote:
Translator: Akira, Asceai, endo602, Enerrene, equilibrium, jankn, Kaens, kyuu, Magedark, Minimoto, Oipo, Vatina
( ´_ゝ`)

Are you, people, RETARDED?
Old 2010-08-19, 02:39
Posts way too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by noname View Post
( ´_ゝ`)

Are you, people, RETARDED?
harsh words!
Old 2010-08-19, 02:51
Obsessive

Not that I don't support but..

I'm pretty sure each and everyone of them has a different translation style
and it would be weird seeing a change in 'wording' styles..
Or the translation level suddenly drops -20.
Old 2010-08-19, 03:06
Posts way too much

Well, it's not just being translated by a dozen people, it's also being EDITED by a dozen people. The idea is to get a final result through consensus that lacks any real translation style at all - it's just in English. Boring, but it might just be the best way to remove any traces of translator presence from the translation.
Old 2010-08-19, 04:39
noname

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asceai View Post
final result through consensus that lacks any real translation style at all
(´_ゝ`)

WHY.
Old 2010-08-19, 05:09
Posts way too much

Translation style == translation error. Translations should be transparent. You read it and it's like reading the original work. That's all that should be on your mind- that you're reading the original work. Translation style means you see the effect of the translator on your translation which distracts you from reading the original work.
Old 2010-08-19, 05:22
noname

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asceai View Post
Translation style == translation error. Translations should be transparent. You read it and it's like reading the original work. That's all that should be on your mind- that you're reading the original work. Translation style means you see the effect of the translator on your translation which distracts you from reading the original work.
(´_ゝ`)

I highly doubt there will be any traces of orginal writing style left after you edit the shit out of script. Really.
Old 2010-08-19, 05:45
Posts way too much

Ah, but the idea is that this is not the form of editing where people look at the English and turn it into prettier English. It's the form of editing where people look at the English and the Japanese and turn it into better English that better reflects the Japanese. Thus the translation should more closely approach the original text over the process of editing.