gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2008-12-31, 08:19

Question... is Tears to Tiara multi-ending o.?

Also, does utawarerumono only have one ending? I cleared it once but the choices don't get the feel of multi-ending.

Ps: Finally TtT english patch... i've been waiting for this *-*.
Old 2009-01-06, 04:49
Regular

I played a fair bit of TtT now and I must say I'm surprised at how awful it is o_O Not the translation - it really reads very well. The game itself is just... horrible.

The Strategy part is one of the worst I've ever seen in a game. I know one shouldn't VNs with some gameplay to normal big budget games, but even among VNs I know several games which are much much better in that regard, Utawarerumono for example which was by the same people if I'm not mistaken. The problem is that you basically have a real time strategy game with turn based strategy controls. How drunk were they when they conceived this? Controlling the units feels so awkward and clumsy I have to switch to all auto mode to keep my sanity. And that's not much better since the AI is absolutely hideous. If I'm not looking over each unit every second there'll always be single people leaving the group to run into a big bunch of enemies all on their own just to get annihilated.

That would be alright, it's primarily a VN after all (is it?), but the VN part is crappy as well :( What's wrong with those woman? They all just want to offer themselves to Arawn as sex slaves for no reason at all. (The reasons given by the game are ridiculous at best... he is now at the third elf that he "accidentally" married through some stupid tradition). I'm used to fight over a woman's heart in VNs, this here is so lame. The story also moves absolutely nowhere, it's basically nothing happens then let's attack an enemy camp once in a while. Granted I'm only 7 hours in, but I can't see how this story might be saved now.

This game feels like a rehash of Utawarerumono, just with everything that made it cool taken out :( Man, I'm so disappointed.
Old 2009-01-06, 10:55

Send a message via ICQ to zalas

I felt the demo was great (it stops after they make it out of the catacombs) but what followed afterwards did feel like a letdown to me. However, the game picks up in the second half, so if you can survive the mind-numbing first half...
Old 2009-01-06, 11:42
Local

Send a message via AIM to tea panda

Hm? I liked TtT more than Utawarerumono in certain aspects. They're both great games and I didn't feel anything about TtT was particularly bad. Some plot points didn't seem to get resolved at the end and the entire final half was a tad rushed but that's not a big deal.
Old 2009-01-06, 14:21
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaioShin View Post
I played a fair bit of TtT now and I must say I'm surprised at how awful it is o_O Not the translation - it really reads very well. The game itself is just... horrible.
I agree, for the most part. Utaware had good characters, and presented them (and their stories) in a way to keep the player interested. TtT just starts tossing these generic females in, and I never even began to care about 90% of them. In fact, in TtT, the characters I thought were the most interesting were all male! Not what I was expecting from a bishoujo game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaioShin View Post
The Strategy part is one of the worst I've ever seen in a game.
<snip>
And that's not much better since the AI is absolutely hideous. If I'm not looking over each unit every second there'll always be single people leaving the group to run into a big bunch of enemies all on their own just to get annihilated.

This game feels like a rehash of Utawarerumono, just with everything that made it cool taken out :( Man, I'm so disappointed.
Well, there's at least one equal strategy that lets you do the same thing to the AI - stand still, and the enemies will dribble to you one or two at a time. Your characters will slaughter everything as it comes in reach. Only the boss fights ever made me vary from that strat.
But to your point, yes. I found the TtT battle system as amazing combination of awkward and boring. Utaware, especially on the higher difficulty modes, had some challenging fights. Some because of tough enemies, some because of tough environments or difficult objectives. TtT... didn't.

Complaints aside, I'll agree with zalas - once the H-scenes end, the story really picks up and gets good. It's too bad you've got to play through the first pointless 80% of the game to get there.
Old 2009-01-06, 22:24
Regular

Truth be told, I find the combat in TtT to be a cross between regular turn-based fare you'd find in other SRPG/TRPG such as Disgaea, and a real-time tactics game (EndWar would be a recent example). However, the PS3 version (I only saw the vids from Aquaplus' TtT site) brings it back down to regular turn-based combat, while giving us MUCH better visuals at the same time. I also noticed that the combat system looked like an improved version of what we got in the PS2 port of Utawarerumono.

Last edited by HashiriyaR32; 2009-01-06 at 22:31.
Old 2009-01-06, 22:50
Obsessive

Send a message via AIM to Moogy

TtT's battle system is a ripoff of Growlanser's.

Not that this is necessarily a bad thing.
Old 2009-01-13, 01:55
Unregistered

Hey regarding TtT i heard that the PS3 ver. is a complete remake of the PC. Is it possible that the storyline is improved there?

I saw a few demo for the PS3 and it was by far visually beautiful (Kinda hoping this makes the PC). Then again i heard the anime is also using the char. from the PS3.