gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2011-02-04, 09:34

Send a message via ICQ to zalas

So... it's just like AIR, where the animated portions were lower resolution than the backgrounds? Well, except AIR used a really terrible upsampling algorithm for the animated portions. Both releases suffer from less encoding artifacts compared to their DVD counterparts, though.
Old 2011-02-04, 10:50
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas View Post
Both releases suffer from less encoding artifacts compared to their DVD counterparts, though.
This is grammatically incorrect. If something is countable (e.g. people, cars, encoding artefacts), you have to use "fewer".
Old 2011-02-04, 11:25
Obsessive

Send a message via AIM to Moogy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
This is grammatically incorrect. If something is countable (e.g. people, cars, encoding artefacts), you have to use "fewer".
cool post thanks for the info

Point being, the Rakkyo blu-rays look terrible and ufotable is basically ripping off anyone who bought them.
Old 2011-02-04, 14:52
Obsessive

Send a message via AIM to JRaiKetchum Send a message via Yahoo to JRaiKetchum
Exclamation

*sits impatiently staring at an order status screen that refreshes every minute in the center of a circle comprised of various Kara no kyoukai figurines, nendoroids, novels, magazines, games, etc. with nothing but Kalafina and Rakkyo OST music blaring in the background*

I'm a scientist! Nothing is ever perfect! Who cares about little nitpicky issues like that! The promised day that Aniplex USA has waited for has come! Rakkyo is about to be unleashed to the NA audience! The day us fans of the series have been waiting for since the first time "Fukan Fuukei" graced the Japanese big screen! And best of all... THE TRANSLATIONS OF THE ARTBOOK! XD

*Status still says Processing*

*starts bouncing up and down like a spoiled brat*

C'MON RIGHTSTUF! PROCESS FASTER!!!!!111 >< >< ><
-Rai

P.S - j/k I'm actually only laying @ the computer, listening to my Yuki Kajiura folder refreshing every hour ^^;. But still, I don't care about really bad nitpicking of video unless it is some glaring problem like some greening I've seen in some upconverts.

Ja, ne
-Rai
Old 2011-02-06, 23:51

Looks like TRSI is sold out of the boxset now... Glad I picked up a copy at the showing (they brought 10 copies with them to the theater, along with 7 movie guidebooks, one for each movie)

At the screening, the upsampling filter looked very obvious in the animated characters, although I got used to it by the end of the first movie. They had a producer from Aniplex and a producer from ufotable there, who had interesting things they talked about. For example, the scene where the police are searching through the grass in episode 7 took months to finish.
Old 2011-02-07, 12:56
Regular

Send a message via AIM to X-Calibar

Just got it. :3

Best looking boxset I now own... High quality materials: even the book and blu-ray cover is made out of some material that won't leave fingerprints (not velvet... ummm what is it called...).
I accidently brushed the plastic sticky cover wrapping against the artwork on the front of the box (oh crap!), but even though it was well stuck to the artwork; I pulled it off and .... not even the slightest damage. (whew!)

As for the video quality... I only previewed Thanatos (the oldest); and it looked good to me. Obviously better than DVD quality (judging from scenes with great detail and sharpness).
When I paused it and approached the TV I could see the poor filtered quality of the characters and non-background content...

But, since I don't notice it on the 53" HDTV while playing (I was however using the 120Hz feature; TV smooths out motion, but shouldn't affect low-motion scenes) I'm perfectly happy with the purchase :D And assuming it only gets better quality in the later episodes then I have no complaints at this time.

Oh, well there is one thing :/ Apparently my amplifier isn't up to blu-ray audio specs :/ So I can't listen to it in 5.1 properly... yet...
Old 2011-02-08, 07:50
Obsessive

still... waiting...

AHA!! WRONG TRACKING #!!! NOOOOOoooo I'm not gonna be there to pick it up!!!! ;_; I Can't get back across town in time to catch the UPS GUY!!! *bawls a la Hiyori from Mizuiro* WAAAAAAAAHHHHH~

*Taishi Laugh*MUHAHAHAHAHAHA I made it back with time to spare!!

-Rai

Last edited by JRaiKetchum; 2011-02-08 at 09:09. Reason: Made it back... now waiting XD
Old 2011-02-08, 10:24
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas View Post
So... it's just like AIR, where the animated portions were lower resolution than the backgrounds? Well, except AIR used a really terrible upsampling algorithm for the animated portions. Both releases suffer from less encoding artifacts compared to their DVD counterparts, though.
It's like AIR in the fact that it's upscaled, but QTEC is much, much worse than what AIR used. It's pretty much an insult towards anyone who bought the KnK box set.
Old 2011-02-08, 12:40
Obsessive

IT"S HERE!!! *happy dance holding it like Haruhi-chan w/ the kappa*
Old 2011-02-10, 11:32
Regular

Send a message via AIM to X-Calibar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRaiKetchum View Post
IT"S HERE!!! *happy dance holding it like Haruhi-chan w/ the kappa*
how's it look? :D

btw just saw this press release from aniplex... looks like some buyers may run into bad luck...
Quote:
Announcement:
To the Customers of The Garden of Sinners - the Movie Bluray Disc Box Set (North American release):
Regarding “The Garden of Sinners the Movie Bluray Disc Box Set” (Product # ANZX3921-3928, released on February 8th 2011), Aniplex has discovered potential issues as described below;
 Regarding the black cosmetic box with ribbon attached which contains the discs, either the lid and/or the bottom plate of the box may be slightly bent.
 The silver foil of the box which contains the discs may peel off.
We are currently investigating the cause, and as soon as the issues are resolved, we will reproduce new cosmetic boxes.
(complete info : http://aniplexusa.com/pdf/theGardeno...nt20110210.pdf )
I'm not exactly sure what they mean, but I looked at mine carefully but don't see any problems, whew!
Old 2011-02-10, 16:11

Not sure if I have that issue, and even if I do, I think it would be hard for me to remedy it, since I bought it at the showing instead of through RightStuf.
Old 2011-02-11, 08:16
Obsessive

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Calibar View Post
how's it look? :D

btw just saw this press release from aniplex... looks like some buyers may run into bad luck...

(complete info : http://aniplexusa.com/pdf/theGardeno...nt20110210.pdf )
I'm not exactly sure what they mean, but I looked at mine carefully but don't see any problems, whew!
It looks fricken awesome!! The top is just a tad warped, but not a huge cosmetic issue with me. It ties up fine and keeps everything protected, so it's doing it's job ^^. I spent the past two days plowing through the set and I couldn't ask for any better visuals! Definately a huge step up from the DVDs! The subs were very good. A few slight errors here and there, but that's to be expected. Very easy to read font. Probably Tahoma with a black outline (Not like FUNi's god awful pure white >.<)

The two books feel like (and probably are) velvet! Soft, fluid to the touch with slight fingerprints and tracks from touching it. Artbook is absolutely gorgeous! And helps me prove that it is a gyp that the regular edition art for the DVD's looks better than the Limited Edition!! The translation booklet is fun to read with the interview with Nasu, Takeuchi, and Sakamoto. Some very interesting info behind Type-Moon and the production of the movies. ^^ Nasu is especially interesting. He gave an apology for Movie 3's story and noticing that it paled in comparison to the novel. You can easily see as people have stated before that Nasu is the creativity and Takeuchi is the brains of the group ;)

I am keeping it in the box it came in (a cardboard box with plastic handle with Kara no kyoukai on it) just because... letting something as precious (and expensive!) as that set lay out for dust to cover and should something fall on it would be a sin! Definately worth every single penny.

It was alot of fun plowing through all seven movies again and the epilogue. Kudos to Maaya Sakamoto for basically doing a 30 min monologue O.o That's basically what the epilogue is with some interjections from Mikiya (Kennichi Suzumura) who definately looks a little cooler now with his scar.

Whew...
-Rai
Old 2011-02-11, 19:34
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRaiKetchum View Post
It looks fricken awesome!! The top is just a tad warped, but not a huge cosmetic issue with me. It ties up fine and keeps everything protected, so it's doing it's job ^^. I spent the past two days plowing through the set and I couldn't ask for any better visuals! Definately a huge step up from the DVDs! The subs were very good. A few slight errors here and there, but that's to be expected. Very easy to read font. Probably Tahoma with a black outline (Not like FUNi's god awful pure white >.<)

The two books feel like (and probably are) velvet! Soft, fluid to the touch with slight fingerprints and tracks from touching it. Artbook is absolutely gorgeous! And helps me prove that it is a gyp that the regular edition art for the DVD's looks better than the Limited Edition!! The translation booklet is fun to read with the interview with Nasu, Takeuchi, and Sakamoto. Some very interesting info behind Type-Moon and the production of the movies. ^^ Nasu is especially interesting. He gave an apology for Movie 3's story and noticing that it paled in comparison to the novel. You can easily see as people have stated before that Nasu is the creativity and Takeuchi is the brains of the group ;)

I am keeping it in the box it came in (a cardboard box with plastic handle with Kara no kyoukai on it) just because... letting something as precious (and expensive!) as that set lay out for dust to cover and should something fall on it would be a sin! Definately worth every single penny.

It was alot of fun plowing through all seven movies again and the epilogue. Kudos to Maaya Sakamoto for basically doing a 30 min monologue O.o That's basically what the epilogue is with some interjections from Mikiya (Kennichi Suzumura) who definately looks a little cooler now with his scar.

Whew...
-Rai
If you want the box replaced, you can.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...of-sinners-box

I want to get it too. I thought there was no way that it would be sold out and thus I could take my time to save up, lol. Guess I was wrong....
Old 2011-02-11, 19:37
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
It's like AIR in the fact that it's upscaled, but QTEC is much, much worse than what AIR used. It's pretty much an insult towards anyone who bought the KnK box set.
http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showpost....&postcount=312

http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthrea...53#post1900053

Compare for yourself. The quality is pretty good.
Old 2011-02-14, 14:56
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhat View Post
Of course it looks better than the DVDs. It's still shit for a BD though.