gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2008-10-05, 06:24
Raide

Does anyone here played recent English-translated games? For example H-titles such Figures of Happiness and Hitomi my Stepsister; or Hirameki non-H games' such as Ever17 and Hourglass of Summer. Does any of these games count as tear-jerker, near tear-jerker, otherwise plain or something-else good story, or just plain crap? XD;;
Old 2008-10-05, 11:06

I'm surprised that you hadn't played Ever17. It's really great game with excellent story. Also, it can be count as tear-jerker in some of its ends.

You can read reviews here and here. Be warned - they spoil first game day and written for those who unfamiliar with VN.

Last edited by ImmLff; 2008-10-05 at 11:32.
Old 2008-10-05, 11:58
Unregistered

Figures of Happiness = pretty bad; it's mostly comedy, but with some melodrama
Hitomi My Stepsister = never played it; it's a brutish game about rape/domination/submission, I hear
Hourglass of Summer = average; light-hearted romance with mystery elements

There are plenty of games that try to be tear-jerkers, but whether they're effective depends entirely on the reader.
Old 2008-10-05, 15:23
Raide

It's my fault to expect the entire Kanon story to be as logical (less use of miracles and mystic element) as Clannad, while the premise clearly doesn't. By doubting the story with questions it obstruct my ability to fully enjoy Kanon anime while everyone seems to able to just ride along and cry and experience the 'best anime evar'. So I agree that it's also depend to the reader/watcher.

Those four titles are just examples, and I'm still curious to the rest of commercial translated games as well. For Ever17 I'm still in the middle of Sora's path before wrapping it up and go to Coco^^

What about Yume Miru Kusuri and Kazoku Keikaku? IIRC, I heard the scenario writer for Kana Little Sister; the translated Yume Miru Kusuri; and Family Project ~Kazoku Keikaku~ are the same person; which latter title Peach Princess are going to release soon. Is it something we should look forward too? And is it true that he, along with the writer of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, are going to handle the scenario for the next KEY's title REWRITE?

Last edited by Raide; 2008-10-05 at 15:29.
Old 2008-10-05, 15:27
Obsessive

Send a message via AIM to Moogy

Yes, Romeo Tanaka wrote all of those games. He worked on I/O too.

Also, E17 and HoS are the best VNs that have been officially localized. Maybe that will change when Kazoku Keikaku is out?
Old 2008-10-05, 15:55
Posts way too much

Hourglass of Summer? I played that, and wasn't really impressed at all (even ignoring the fact that the localised version is DVDPG, because I played the PC rerelease). I'd say that the best VNs that have been officially localised are Ever17 and Yume Miru Kusuri. Of course, it's all reader-dependent - I liked Kazoku Keikaku more than both of those titles, as well.

Last edited by Asceai; 2008-10-05 at 15:57.
Old 2008-10-05, 15:56
Raide

After few wiki read.. so the acclaimed Cross+Channel is also his work? Now I'm totally interested.

Anyone played Yume Miru Kusuri and willing to give comment about it? Does the series has the tear-jerker quality like Kana Little Sister? And so on.
Old 2008-10-05, 16:17
Local

Quote:
And is it true that he, along with the writer of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, are going to handle the scenario for the next KEY's title REWRITE?
Yeah, both are involved. However, since Key's Itaru Hinoue is handling the actual planning, it won't really be their story.

Anyway, I think Phantom of Inferno is the best VN that has been officially translated.
Old 2008-10-05, 16:23
Chewy

I too am interested in some recommendations, but not for tear jerkers. I'm looking for deep, depressing VNs that can rival LEAF's Tenshi no inai.
Old 2008-10-05, 16:39
Raide

Haven't checked out Phantom of Inferno before, but I will.

@Chewy: And I just happen to finish downloading Tenshi no Inai 12-gatsu OP song I Hope So.. found only in a dying torrent. That took a lot of time for sure.

I'd love to know more about 'dark' titles (such as Phantom of Inferno, TYPE/MOON titles etc), but it's getting off topic isn't it? Is it okay to continue or is it necessary to create another thread? :3

Last edited by Raide; 2008-10-05 at 16:53.
Old 2008-10-05, 17:14
Posts way too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
I too am interested in some recommendations, but not for tear jerkers. I'm looking for deep, depressing VNs that can rival LEAF's Tenshi no inai.
Already mentioned in this thread, but Kimi ga Nozomu Eien is probably what you're after (if you haven't played this already).

some other utsuge of note:
SWAN SONG
Gin'iro

Quote:
I'd love to know more about 'dark' titles (such as Phantom of Inferno, TYPE/MOON titles etc), but it's getting off topic isn't it? Is it okay to continue or is it necessary to create another thread? :3
I won't object to turning this into a BLACK CYC thread =P

Last edited by Asceai; 2008-10-05 at 17:35.
Old 2008-10-05, 21:21
Obsessive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asceai View Post
I won't object to turning this into a BLACK CYC thread =P
Me neither =P
Old 2008-10-05, 21:51
Raide

Right. So there is nakige (tear-jerker?) and utsuge (dark?). Are there other definition specific to VN or eroge industry? How do you define/divide them? By genre (comedy, romance, drama, tragedy, psychological, suspense, thriller, mystery, supernatural, etc) or something else? Is there example where one game can equally be tear-jerker and mind-challenging at the same time?

What's the difference between Tsukihime, Fate/Stay Night, to Kara no Kyoukai?

XD
Old 2008-10-06, 12:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raide View Post
With Clannad I played through the 'unofficial patch' in hongfire, scrambling with love through the jungle of unedited text in After Story. Just few days ago I noticed that there's such drama over leakage.. Hopefully one day the final patch (along with Kanon) would be released^^

Kimi ga Nozomu Eien.. One more anime to list along with Clannad After Story, Chaos;Head (both soon be released translated game and anime), Gundam00 season two and Toradora!
Personally I'm not gonna touch the unofficial Clannad patch until the "official" one is done... I think it would ruin the story otherwise. Also while I'm waiting for it to be released, I can save up money and purchase the game, then when the patch does come out, play it for the fist time with the best possible environment!

There will be tears... I am sure of it.

So yeah, unless you speak Japanese fluently, wait for the real patch. I heard the unofficial patch is kinda crappy, and you don't want that to ruin the story for you.
Old 2008-10-06, 12:52
Unregistered

Quote:
Right. So there is nakige (tear-jerker?) and utsuge (dark?). Are there other definition specific to VN or eroge industry? How do you define/divide them? By genre (comedy, romance, drama, tragedy, psychological, suspense, thriller, mystery, supernatural, etc) or something else? Is there example where one game can equally be tear-jerker and mind-challenging at the same time?
There're no "official" classifications (unlike book publishers), if that's what you're asking. Fans and companies like to throw around terms to describe/group games, but I don't place too much importance on that. By reading a product description, you can get a good idea of what a story might be like, especially given the lack of variety in the industry. For instance, you know that most story-driven titles will have a romantic element (and often some melodrama that might invoke tears or sympathy from the reader). Whether it's a sci-fi themed romance, romantic comedy, supernatural themed romance, or slice-of-life romantic drama can be identified by the descriptor.

Anyway, what do you mean by mind-challenging? Type-Moon stories have complex exposition/narration, as well as bittersweet endings, so that might count.