gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2010-03-02, 08:02
Regular

Default Looking for Visual Novel Trials & Resources...

Man, it's been ages since I last posted here.

I have a question for everyone. A friend of mine has recently taken a liking to visual novels (thanks in no small part to Katawa Shoujo), and I'd like to gather as many freely-available resources as I can to help broaden his perspective and foster his growing appreciation for the medium (and to use as a reference later on when introducing people to the genre).

At the moment, I'm looking for the following:
1) Trial versions of games that have since received full translations (commercial or otherwise).
2) Free standalone titles.

I'd like to stay out of legal hot water, so I'm not interested in ripped or otherwise pirated copies of any game (though I may make an exception when a fan translation group releases their own work in a pre-patched state, as is the case with ef -a fairy tale of the two- and Neon Genesis Evangelion - Girlfriend of Steel).

I know that Peach Princess has released trial versions of Little My Maid and Yume Miru Kusuri (I should know - I've played through both of them), but I can't seem to find either demo for download anywhere. HGTP and VisualNews have been offline for quite some time, so I don't know if mirrors of the the YMK demo exist. I can't remember where I downloaded the LMM demo, either - all I remember was that it was alongside a Flash version of the opening movie on a VN fansite a few years back...

The following is a list of the files I intend to pass his way. Please let me know if I've overlooked anything:

al|together
- A Dream of Summer
- A Midsummer Day's Resonance
- From the Bottom of the Heart
- May Sky
- Moonshine
- Narcissu
- Night of the Forget-Me-Nots
- Red Shift
- Summer, Cicadas, and the Girl
- The Letter

Hirameki
- Ever 17 -Out of Infinity-

Insani
- Fate / stay night
- Planetarian -The Reverie of a Little Planet-

MangaGamer
- Kira Kira
- Suika A.S+

No Name Losers
- ef Supah Preview
- Wind -a breath of heart-

Yandere Translations
- Brass Restoration
- Wanko to Kurasou

Dismissed for the time being (may bring up later)
- Any al|together title not mentioned above
- Ai Yori Aoshi
- Da Capo
- Soul Link (would include if demo was 100% translated)

I'd appreciate any advice I can get. I'd be extremely grateful if someone could upload the PeaPri demos I mentioned as well.

Thanks in advance.
Old 2010-03-02, 11:17
Obsessive

Send a message via AIM to Moogy

Sharin no Kuni has a trial that I'd be willing to make a patch for (mostly because it would take two seconds), but Akabeesoft2's site blocks gaijin. If someone can get the trial to me I'll pass it on for your purposes because, well... all of these games are crap except for Kira Kira.
Old 2010-03-02, 11:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogy View Post
Sharin no Kuni has a trial that I'd be willing to make a patch for (mostly because it would take two seconds), but Akabeesoft2's site blocks gaijin. If someone can get the trial to me I'll pass it on for your purposes because, well... all of these games are crap except for Kira Kira.
Hey, Ever17 is great though. But that doesn't necessarily include the translation...*cough*
Old 2010-03-02, 13:36
Posts way too much

Quote:
well, just because akabeisoft2's site happens to block foreigners doesn't mean it's not available from every damn mirror. Come on, pretty much all eroge companies use these mirrors. you could at least have checked ONE :(
Old 2010-03-02, 14:17
Obsessive

Yeah, I was just too lazy to proxy, got the link from a Japanese friend of mine. :v

Grabbing it now. I'm actually interested to see if there are any changes in the scripts between the trial and full...
Old 2010-03-02, 14:22
kouryuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDOMMX View Post
MangaGamer
- Kira Kira
- Suika A.S+

- Soul Link (would include if demo was 100% translated)
We also have the trial version for Da Capo up. As for Soul Link... The trial Version is fully translated... ^_^;; but we were having some technical issues with it when I worked on it as a fan-translator, and now that the game is officially released, I have no plans to go back and figure out how to make it work. That said, I do find it odd that we don't have it's trial version available... It was nothing more than the prologue chapter and up to the first choice that can lead to a bad end in chapter 1...
Old 2010-03-02, 17:52
Obsessive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asceai View Post
well, just because akabeisoft2's site happens to block foreigners doesn't mean it's not available from every damn mirror. Come on, pretty much all eroge companies use these mirrors. you could at least have checked ONE :(
Aren't those those epic "PLEASE OH GOD DON'T FUCKING DOWNLOAD FROM HERE IF YOU ARE A FUCKING FOREIGNER" ones?
Old 2010-03-02, 18:41
Regular

Quote:
well... all of these games are crap except for Kira Kira.
Dem's be fightin' words, Moogy. Narcissu, Red Shift, Ever 17, and Planetarian are most certainly not crap. I'll reserve my judgement on Suika, ef, and Fate until I've finished them myself, but I like what I've seen so far (enough to pick up the R1 Wet Summer Days DVD and import the re-release of Fate, at least).

On the other hand, I included titles in the list that I didn't necessarily like to give my friend a broader exposure to the things the medium is capable of. For instance, I didn't really care for Night of the Forget-Me-Nots, but a horror fan would probably love it. The relatively short playtime helps, too.

No arguments about Kira Kira, though; I was hooked before I knew it (FUCK YEAH!). I plan on picking up a copy as soon as I have some extra cash.

Quote:
Sharin no Kuni has a trial that I'd be willing to make a patch for (mostly because it would take two seconds)
Please do. I was a bit disappointed with some of the endings, but I really enjoyed my stay in Cog Country nonetheless. How much of the full game does the demo cover, anyway? Just Chapter 1, I assume?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kouryuu View Post
We also have the trial version for Da Capo up.
I listed Da Capo under Dismissed for the time being. Of the three MangaGamer demos I played, Da Capo was easily the least interesting of the bunch. I wasn't fond of the anime either even though I quickly took a liking to Kotori. I'll be passing it along, just not immediately (the demo's playtime is among the reasons for that...).

On a semi-related note, both my friend and I had trouble getting Kira Kira to run on our systems since Norton and AVG thought the BGI executable was a virus. I worked around it by declaring the folder as an exception, but he hasn't had any such luck... I'm sure we're not the only ones that have had this problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kouryuu View Post
I do find it odd that we don't have it's trial version available... It was nothing more than the prologue chapter and up to the first choice that can lead to a bad end in chapter 1...
Agreed. I wanted to include Soul Link in the batch, but the fact that one of the branches was still in Japanese (namely, the route to the bad ending that you just mentioned) led me to scratch it from the list. Nothing personal; I just don't want to put my stamp on a decidedly unfinished release (note that My Girlfriend is the President and Symphonic Rain aren't on this list either)

...I take it no one has a copy of the YMK demo lying around on their hard drive, then...?
Old 2010-03-02, 19:09
Obsessive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDOMMX View Post
How much of the full game does the demo cover, anyway? Just Chapter 1, I assume?

(note that My Girlfriend is the President and Symphonic Rain aren't on this list either)
Sharin's trial is actually the entirety of chapter 1 and chapter 2, which was quite nice of them.

Also, since this thread provides me with as good of an opportunity to clarify this as any: SR is pretty much as complete as it's going to get; the hacker has no motivation to work on ironing out the last few bugs, and the entire game is playable/fully edited as of beta 2. We should really just call it the final release.

Anyway, I have the Sharin trial now, I'll look at it in a bit.
Old 2010-03-02, 19:29
Posts way too much

On the whole topic of crap/not crap, I actually went through the list and the only title on the list I would say falls under 'crap' is Ai Yori Aoshi. Even Wind manages to get 'mediocre'.
Old 2010-03-02, 21:53
Visitor

Didn't Mirror Moon also do an original story for Tsukihime? Not sure if that would be a good idea though.
Old 2010-03-17, 10:31
Regular

Well, well. X-Calibar came through once again. In case anyone else is looking for them, he's uploaded both the Little My Maid and Yume Miru Kusuri demos to 4Shared.

Jinnai: That was just an April Fool's Joke. I wouldn't include that as part of a visual novel primer.

Moogy: All the better. Considering how many branchoffs there are in Sachi's path (two game overs plus two branches, and let's not forget the prank they pull with the staff roll), including up to the end of Chapter 2 makes perfect sense. If you could make an English demo, I'd certainly appreciate it.
Old 2010-03-17, 12:13
Obsessive

Turns out that the Sharin trial is rather crippled compared to the actual game. There are no voices, much of the BGM is missing, and the English scripts don't work with it due to missing macros (which I am too lazy to fix due to the other issues).

I could make a hacked up build of the game itself that only covers chapters 1-2 and upload that but I'm not sure more than 1 person would ever download it.
Old 2010-03-20, 09:48
Regular

Quote:
I could make a hacked up build of the game itself that only covers chapters 1-2 and upload that but I'm not sure more than 1 person would ever download it.
My friend and I prefer buying legitimate copies of the games we play whenever possible; we'd much rather form our own opinions from trial versions that rely on hype or resort to piracy (a fair chunk of my collection -- including Fate, Wind, Ever 17, and Little My Maid -- was purchased based on my experience with the demos). I'm sure we're not the only people with this sort of mindset. If you're busy with other projects, I won't press the issue, but if you have some free time, I think making a demo of Sharin would be worth it for the ethically- and legally-conscious fans of the medium.

Incidentally, my friend is going to Japan in a few months, and I'm having him pick up a copy of Aoishiro and a few other titles for me (...assuming he can find them...). I've only finished one of the two Aoishiro demos, but that was enough for me to make my decision.

On the flip side, I have a sealed copy of Shuffle that I no longer have any use for, if anyone wants to buy it from me...
Old 2010-03-29, 19:01
Unregistered

U might want to check out the translations from TL Wiki. They recently done Symphonic Rain and are doing a joint project on Minori's *Eden.