gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2009-05-13, 13:18
Posts way too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTX View Post
Says the little girl that's too scared to make an account and insult someone so we know who he is.
Quote:
So many girls on this site. I'll call you Annie :)
How is posting anonymously being a coward, anyway? I mean, who cares if he was posting under a generic nickname like everyone else is

It's not like you can reclaim your honor by asking everyone you meet 'are you jimmy1214?' and, if they say 'yes', breaking their kneecaps

Posting under a username is no different to posting anonymously, because you don't exactly need to defend the reputation of your online identity. Using a nickname is strictly for convenience purposes - so you don't have to waste time saying that you were the person who did such-and-such, and you can pretty much automatically give a certain level of context to everything you post.

Nicknames don't prevent people from 'sockpuppetry' or whatever, where someone pretends to be talking to themselves, or posts multiple times to pretend there's consensus - how long does it take to register another username on this site, maybe a couple of minutes?

Yet, for some reason, you seem to think that if said anon went and registered a once-off nickname for that post or something, that would be being less 'scared' - seems only like a waste of time to me. So, please explain.

"try saying that to my face fucker and not online and see what happens"

Last edited by Asceai; 2009-05-13 at 13:24.
Old 2009-05-13, 14:06
Obsessive

Why does anonymosity exist in the first place? Because they don't want you to know it's them. I don't like the idea of someone doing wrong without being willing to accept the consequences, whatever it may be. I don't expect much in the way of an adult conversation on the internet, but due to personal circumstances (I can get into it but it's a long story) I can't stand someone who brings up shit when they think it's safe yet shuts the hell up when they think someone might do something back. It was a pet peeve that was developed over my entire life and now I have rage problems when I see someone else do it, no matter what the medium.

I don't agree that posting anon is the same as having a username, it's the difference between having an identity and not having one. That's pretty important to me, but that's just my opinion. I don't feel the need to show any respect towards someone without a name.
Old 2009-05-13, 14:42
Posts way too much

Quote:
Why does anonymosity exist in the first place? Because they don't want you to know it's them.
Who is 'them'? Who are YOU?

I mean, you could say pretty much anything you want here ANYWAY - it's not like the fact that you're posting under the name 'NTX' means that you are held to any kind of higher standard. You could always register again and post under a new name if you somehow threatened the 'reputation' of your online persona.

Quote:
I don't like the idea of someone doing wrong without being willing to accept the consequences, whatever it may be.
The point is that there aren't consequences _anyway_.

Let's say I was incredibly offended by something you said. What sort of course of action could I take against your online persona that wouldn't be an utter waste of time?

There is none, and that's the point. There are no consequences, and you very well know it.

Quote:
I don't expect much in the way of an adult conversation on the internet, but due to personal circumstances (I can get into it but it's a long story) I can't stand someone who brings up shit when they think it's safe yet shuts the hell up when they think someone might do something back.
This is why anonymity is considered to be important for freedom of speech. If someone has a perfectly valid point to make, but won't bring it up for fear of retribution, how does this make their point any less valid? The system you propose would only help to enforce the status quo - not encourage useful discussion. Again, I ask you to better explain your point.

I still fail to see why it's any different between posting anonymously and using a nickname. What can, for example, I do back to you? Absolutely nothing, because I _don't know who you are_. I mean, you could be Haeleth for all I know.

Quote:
I don't agree that posting anon is the same as having a username, it's the difference between having an identity and not having one.
Correct- that is the difference between posting anonymously and posting with a username, like I said - it lends context to the things you say.

The point is that having a pseudoanonymous identity does NOT mean that your posts should carry any sort of weight. It's not at all 'braver' to post under a nickname than without one. More presumptuous, maybe, if it seems like you're using your standing within a community to give your words more weight than they would have otherwise, but certainly not braver. You aren't putting anything at risk beyond your online identity, and that's certainly not worth much considering new ones can be created and old ones discarded in seconds.

Quote:
That's pretty important to me, but that's just my opinion. I don't feel the need to show any respect towards someone without a name.
Whereas I don't feel any difference between the level of respect I show a person using a nickname and posting anonymously, because in the end it's still a person.

That said, I feel no need to show any respect to someone that posts rubbish, trolls or otherwise contributes to the noise ratio of any discussion board. Whether they are posting under a nickname or not. In short, I respect what someone says, not the person themselves.
Old 2009-05-13, 15:30
Obsessive

What we have here Asceai is a difference in belief systems and values. My point is as clear as day to myself but if you find them complete bull, then I won't push it onto you. You might notice that I used the word 'I' in about every point I made because I'm aware that other people may not share my way of thinking.

Some people might put value into an online identity, investing a fair amount of time and emotion into it and would be offended if someone insulted it (I think pride plays a large role in this). It's not their given name but it's what they call themselves. Like I said, it's a difference in values and opinion, and if you don't agree with me then we were raised differently in one aspect or another.

And my name is Elvin, I'm a third year university student living in downtown Toronto, studying Biology. I go by the alias NTX on this site, and if anyone has a problem with me you can kiss my hairy ass.

Last edited by NTX; 2009-05-13 at 18:05.
Old 2009-05-13, 17:38
Obsessive

Anonymity and the value of unregistered posting has been debated to death here. That's just how the gemot is.

Anyhow, my brother is suffering from brain cancer and has only a few months left to live. He is an avid key fan and is infatuated with their games. Can someone hack Key's computers, steal the working drafts of Rewrite and translate them so he can enjoy as much of the title as possible before he dies? XP
Old 2009-05-13, 22:26
Obsessive

Talking ara ara, the title have been bad lately

Akiko-sama their are more potential *jam* ingredients in this thread!

oh and if someone is wandering.... flying goats taste just like chicken! wow, another flying goat just flu by the window, gata go and catch it! bye
Old 2009-05-14, 00:52
Obsessive

OFFTOPIC: I agree with Asceai, anonymous vs registered, especially since there is no restriction on registering is same as if this forum was only anonymous.

ON TOPIC: My dog is dying and he hates me playing key games, can you stop translating them all? Thank you.
Old 2009-05-14, 01:19
Posts way too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enerccio View Post
ON TOPIC: My dog is dying and he hates me playing key games, can you stop translating them all? Thank you.
Fair enough. What eroges does your dog approve of? This one? (NSFW) I'll start translating it immediately!

EDIT: Fixed link

Last edited by Asceai; 2009-05-14 at 03:42.
Old 2009-05-14, 03:23
Obsessive

Wrong link, Asceai
Old 2009-05-14, 03:43
Posts way too much

The link was correct (originally - I even tested it), but I guess imageshack has something against terrible ero. Dunno how they spotted it though! Uploaded it to my own space, which isn't run by FUNDAMENTALIST CHRISTIAN FIVE YEAR OLDS - try the link again.
Old 2009-05-14, 04:48
Obsessive

Then my dog (and me) approves. Wish you luck with translation, you will need it.
Old 2009-05-14, 04:50
Posts way too much

It'll be like a drinking game, except without the drink, where I try to translate as many lines as I can without throwing up.
Old 2009-05-14, 04:59
Obsessive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asceai View Post
Fair enough. What eroges does your dog approve of? This one? (NSFW) I'll start translating it immediately!

EDIT: Fixed link
They're stealin our womens >:O
Old 2009-05-14, 05:58
Obsessive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asceai View Post
It'll be like a drinking game, except without the drink, where I try to translate as many lines as I can without throwing up.
Oh come on, it can't be that bad. lol
Old 2009-05-14, 11:02
Obsessive

Send a message via AIM to Moogy

That girl is kind of cute.

Too bad about the... yeah.