gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > Technical Issues

Technical Issues For bug reports, problem solving, and help running Japanese software.

Closed Thread

Old 2004-02-04, 06:43
Ex-boss

<strike>Back on the subject of getting the music to work properly in Win2k/XP, I think I've found a legal download source for the elusive AVG3216D executable... so it looks like I may be able to make a fairly simple patcher that will give perfect fading music on modern operating systems *without* requiring a complete recompile of the entire game. Which would be nice.</strike>

Damn them! It was part of a patch to make the sound work properly under Windows XP on an older game, and it turns out... they'd done it by recompiling the entire game and distributing a renamed AVG3217D with it.

Bang goes that idea. Oh well.

I'm now looking into the idea of recompiling the game with Windows XP support again, but it'll be on hold for a while - my copy of Fate/Stay Night just arrived! (Wa~i!)
Old 2004-02-04, 14:37

Send a message via ICQ to zalas

What about adding a flag to let the wav playing function in the script loop a wav over and over again and then add functions for controlling the wav mixer value (like in the audio mixer in windows). Hence older interpreters will just play the music once and not change volume whereas the patched one will?
Old 2004-02-04, 16:24
Ex-boss

It would be possible, but that might actually be more complicated than just recompiling for the newest interpreter!

Basically, what I want to do is to switch to using the D-series interpreters; they support WAV music from the same functions that handle CD music, without any changes to the bytecode at all (it's all handled in GAMEEXE.INI). I can't do that because nobody's distributing the 16D interpreter that would be required to do that for the adult version of Kanon, but I can recompile the adult version to use a 17D interpreter fairly easily. The advantage of this approach is that the source code remains exactly the same, I just have to pass a different option to the compiler.

While I could theoretically handle WAV music with the sound effect functions in the M-series interpreter the game comes with, that would mean I'd have to change the source code too...

Edit: I just realised that you're probably talking about actually modifying the interpreter, not just the bytecode. That would also be a possible approach, but my x86 ASM hacking skills are nonexistent.
Old 2004-02-05, 17:11

the one that you found.. that wouldn't happen to be the one for pureheart is it?
i found that one very easy to find on the web. yeah it was an avg16m renamed to avg3217d.
it don't work on kanon. it just crash when it shows the KEY/VisualArt's thingy.

how about if you use the new RealLive one. would that work on kanon?
Old 2004-02-06, 03:33
Ex-boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody who forgot to log in
that wouldn't happen to be the one for pureheart is it?
For RAM's ねがい, actually. Same problem, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by He/she/it also
how about if you use the new RealLive one. would that work on kanon?
Yes, in the sense that it would be possible to port Kanon to RealLive - but first I'd have to write a RealLive compiler and make considerable changes to Kanon's source code. RealLive bytecode is completely different from AVG32 - more powerful and flexible, but also significantly more complicated. I won't say the thought hadn't crossed my mind (I could do all sorts of fun things in RealLive), but it wouldn't be the simplest solution to the music problem. ^^
Old 2004-02-12, 20:17
k

I find the game is quite playable without the music, and if you miss the music too much, just load up some Kanon mp3s as you play ^_^

As for the WAV workaround and such, it's probably better to put it off until the text is all translated ^_-;
Old 2004-02-25, 03:47
Obsessive

Thanks for your vAVG32e, I am finaly able to hear the charecters now. I never were able to, because of all the ??? that showed up, and didn't know what to select. Thanks again.

Any way, in this program you said something about "gogo.dll" being able to play MP3's. wouldn't it help you to use that dll instead of trying to use WAV files??.
Old 2004-02-29, 02:15
Myen

IIRC, gogo.dll is used for compressing mp3s - I think it actually uses LAME, but am not certain on that point. vAVG32, I believe, also packs the mp3s in a RIFF header (they look like WAV files), so you'd need the old MP3 ACM decompressors to use them in the game. Which is neither here nor there, but anyway.

And the problem at this point, as I understand it, is that -16M doesn't play those files the way Haeleth wants them to, so whether they are MP3s or WAVs probably wouldn't matter too much - to the game, they look the same.
Old 2004-03-03, 23:25

I personally use _inmm.dll with winamp to fade music on WindowsXP. Unfortunately, it uses Japanese a lot (I'm a Japanese) but it works well.

Once an application is patched with '_inmmcnf.exe', It bypasses winmm.dll, which concerns with playing CDDA track. Instead, it uses _inmm.dll.
_inmm.dll plays MP3 file or anything the player can play, instead of CD track according to '_inmm.ini'.
This utility can be used to any application (of course including Kanon).

sorry for my strange English. I hope this would help someone.
Old 2004-03-15, 16:26
Ex-boss

ありがとうございます! このプログラムがあれば、 もう全然問題なさそうです。 本当に助かったから、名前教えてくれればちゃんと礼を言います。
(ところで、英作文にはお客さんが多くのアメリカ人より上手そうだから、 「変」なんて言う必要はないと思います・・・)

In other words, I finally got round to trying _inmm.dll, and it seems to work. I'm still experimenting with the settings to see how to get the best results, but it's definitely giving me proper music fading. So it looks like the problem of CDDA on Win2k/XP is now solved, and without much effort on my part, for which I'm rather thankful. All I have to do now is write up some instructions for the Japanese-disadvantaged.
Old 2004-03-15, 21:32
Obsessive

True the lib is working fine (which remind's me I forgot to say thanks to the Japaneses visiter "ありがとう ございます"). The only problem am haveing with it, is the fact that it uses WAVE output. There fore it have the same volume as the Voice add-on. While with the CDDA, you can give the Voice higher volume.

Oh well... can't look a gift hourse in the mouth now can I????

Any way, anybody knows how to make a MIDI file out of a wave files???... I did rip the tracks as WAV (I do not have an MP3 ripper, anybody know of any open souce ripper??,, or a Freeware ripper??). Having the Music files as MIDI will be good, and keep the 3 songs as MP3 will save lots of space.
Old 2004-03-16, 03:31
Ex-boss

Quote:
The only problem am haveing with it, is the fact that it uses WAVE output. There fore it have the same volume as the Voice add-on. While with the CDDA, you can give the Voice higher volume.
There are ways round that. If you set it to play back through Winamp, for example, you should be able to use the internal Winamp controls to adjust the music volume separately. Or you could use a WAV editor to lower the volume of the music in the files themselves - even the Sound Recorder that comes with Windows can do that!

Quote:
Any way, anybody knows how to make a MIDI file out of a wave files?
There isn't an automatic way, it has to be done by hand. There used to be some ready-made MIDI conversions of some of Kanon's soundtrack on key.suki.net, but that site seems to be down at the moment.

Quote:
I do not have an MP3 ripper, anybody know of any open souce ripper? or a Freeware ripper?
Yes.
Old 2004-03-16, 04:46
Obsessive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeleth
If you set it to play back through Winamp, for example, you should be able to use the internal Winamp controls to adjust the music volume separately
I still haven't figured out how to do that yet.... I only could figure out that I needed the lib in the same directory as avg32 and also figured out the ini file. Other wise I am still lost with the tool itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeleth
even the Sound Recorder that comes with Windows can do that!
let's see now.... WOW... the program is there in the menu... I actual forgot the fact that it excist.... I will try it as soon as I get home.

Also thanks for the MP3 link.
Old 2004-03-22, 09:32
Rasqual Twilight

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudicatorOmega
Besides that; if you learn to use the registry, you can remove all those stupid annoying "Windows XP Hotfix (See Q???????)" crap from your Add/Remove programs menu.
Real men use the /n command-line option when installing the fix to avoid "the crap" as you said.
Old 2004-04-01, 20:55
iincho

hello, this is the guest "Guest". Last time I misused the username field...

I'm glad to see my post be help. Unfortunately, I'll be offline for another one month to get a new BB internet account.
See you again then.
Closed Thread