gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2006-06-18, 05:33
Visitor

Default Planetarian and a word of thanks

Hi everyone! I am a newbie to the forums. I just want to have a word of thanks to the translators who brought Planetarian and Narcissu to the English fandom. I extracted the scripts from the translation patchs and used them as references while playing the games. The have helped me a great deal in learning new Japanese words. I have ordered Planetarian now and hopefully it will arrive in a few days. Anyway great work and I look forward to seeing more of your visual novel translations.

By the way, does anyone know if the novel bundled with the first-press Planetarian PS2 game will be the same as the one for the PC version? Happysadness to the fans if it has extra content... Poor little Reverie has already turned my tiny wallet inside out, as I have dished out a formidable sum in order to get the out-of-stock novel-bundled PC package.

Talking about Planetarian, its author Yuuichi Suzumoto has posted a tour guide in his website for those interested in visiting Hamamatsu, the town which Planetarian's walled city was modeled after. Some Japanese fans have taken some photos of certain spots in the city. A few of them (especially the outlook of the department store) is freakishly similar to the scenes in the novel, sending a chill to my spine.

P.S. Somehow I am glad that I still haven't completed AIR... Can't image the life of surviving with instant noodles in order to fill my room with all the fablulous merchandise.

P.P.S. Does anyone still has the file of the short story (ingCF[K[ `̈ŎP` / nj1_suzumoto_060101.pdf) posted in Suzumoto's website? I would be very grateful if anyone can send me a copy.
Old 2006-06-18, 09:29
Addicted

I just glanced at the SegaDirect page, but that looks to be the same cover as the book that came with the PC first printings.
Old 2006-06-18, 13:28
Ex-boss

And the page count is identical. (Well... to be precise, that says 240pp and mine has 242, but I'm guessing they rounded down.)
Old 2006-06-18, 14:02
Irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeleth
And the page count is identical ...
Snow Globe was a lovely little piece, as was C'est Tircis et C'est Aminte. Perhaps it is time ...
Old 2006-06-18, 16:31
Visitor

Default I came, I saw, I burst into tears

"Emotional rollercoaster" indeed. Finished Planetarian yesterday, and guess what? Though not raining, the sky remained cloudy all along. It's certainly one of the most moving works I've ever seen, and I have nothing but congratulations to the fan translation team.

It's hard not to be touched by Yumemi's -- or would it be "Reverie's"? -- story of shattered dreams and enduring innocence, but for a transhumanist like me, Planetarian's argument hits right at home, and boy it hurts. Still, just as our lovely android, I also choose to believe in humans -- that we will solve the problems threatening our jorney towards the Stars, and someday grow wise enough to leave all our hatred and greed behind.

PS: I just watched M@D's Space Odyssey video. I personally found it to be of great help in overcoming the melancholy that took hold of me after the end of Planetarian -- like it was meant to say, "the danger is real, but for the moment at least, so is the hope". It made me wonder what Planetarian would look like if things went right -- if the space colonies did succeed, and mankind didn't go into a Lemming frenzy? Perhaps I'll write a fanfic about it someday.
In death, rebirth.

-- Liir poem
Old 2006-06-19, 13:53
Local

Planetarian was one of the few computer games that compelled me to stay up to 4 AM to finish reading the darn thing. It was so gripping and emotional that I just couldn't stop. Took me two days to finish it, and my stopping point was right before they left the planetarium.

I really want a 5 episode OAV on this by Kyoto Animation, or maybe an animated movie. But one can only wish...
Old 2006-06-19, 14:13
Ex-boss

With the book, there's enough material for a full-length series. Well, a man can dream. :)

(Man, an animation of Jerusalem would be brilliant. Nothing could hold a candle to the sight of n ubeqr bs xhxev-jvryqvat aha ebobgf punfvat n onggyr-penmrq Ratyvfu favcre guebhtu gur oynmvat ehvaf bs n ahpyrne furygre nf ur fvatf n ulza cevznevyl nffbpvngrq jvgu zrrgvatf bs gur Jbzra'f Vafgvghgr...)
Old 2006-06-19, 17:03
adun50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maceart
Planetarian was one of the few computer games that compelled me to stay up to 4 AM to finish reading the darn thing. It was so gripping and emotional that I just couldn't stop. Took me two days to finish it, and my stopping point was right before they left the planetarium.
I remember reading through Planetarian when it was raining outside. so not only could I hear the rain from the game I had the rain outside :(
Old 2006-06-19, 17:15
Irregular

I couldn't comment on whether an anime series would ever be born of the novel.

But a translation certainly might be ...
Old 2006-06-19, 18:52
Regular

I second third and fourth the thanks for the translation and the desire for an anime based on Planetarian. I couldn't stop once I started the visual novel. Even though I suspected something sad was coming. It was a Key product after all!
Old 2006-06-19, 20:28
Obsessive

Send a message via AIM to JRaiKetchum Send a message via Yahoo to JRaiKetchum

I loved planetarian! Enough comedy to balance out the drama perfectly ^^. Suzumoto-sensei is a genius! I read it in two sittings cause it was so gripping. Even though the ending was sad, I like the way it ended with a hopeful ending.

A planetarian anime?! OAV if anything given the length of the story. It would be a good 30-min-1 hr anime. You never know... may depend on how well Clannad and Kanon TV 2 does. They're already porting it to PS2 (which I have yet to figure out how that's going to work... =/)

I haven't begun to tackle the novel yet, not enough time to sit down and translate as I read it ^^; And I have yet to seriously see a story by Key that is not tragic in some way =P. They bring new meaning to the phrase Tragi-drama. But they work great in pulling you into the story and that's all that counts ;)

Ja, ne
-Rai
Old 2006-06-20, 03:45
Visitor

Default Re: Planetarian and a word of thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doraneko
P.P.S. Does anyone still has the file of the short story (ingCF[K[ `̈ŎP` / nj1_suzumoto_060101.pdf) posted in Suzumoto's website? I would be very grateful if anyone can send me a copy.
You can still find it here. I so need to get back to having japanese classes... ;_;
In death, rebirth.

-- Liir poem
Old 2006-06-20, 03:49
Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeleth
With the book, there's enough material for a full-length series. Well, a man can dream. :)
I'd love to know more about that book. Does it contain new tales in the Planetarian continuity? What are they about? Could you provide some synopses?
In death, rebirth.

-- Liir poem
Old 2006-06-20, 04:12
Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erios
I'd love to know more about that book. Does it contain new tales in the Planetarian continuity? What are they about? Could you provide some synopses?
Yes, it's original material. As for the content, you might get a rough idea by de-rot13ing Haeleth's comment =P

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doraneko
You can still find it here. I so need to get back to having japanese classes... ;_;
It doesn't seem like part 2 of Suzumoto's story is available on the link posted above, so I've uploaded it myself.
Part 1 | Part 2
Old 2006-06-20, 04:33
Ex-boss

Quote:
It's basically four short stories set in the Planetarian universe, with two taking place before and two after the events of the kinetic novel.

Synopses of the first 3/4 of the book (spoilers rot13'd):

Prologue: Revvie arriving at the planetarium.
Snow Globe: Frg orsber gur jne. Eriivr vf znyshapgvbavat: jurarire gur bgure fgnss yrnir ure hafhcreivfrq, fur jnaqref bhg naq unysjnl npebff gbja. Vg gheaf bhg gb or orpnhfr fur guvaxf fur'f ratntrq gb fbzr xvq jub hfrq gb cynl jvgu ure, be fbzr fhpu fragvzragny gbfu.
Jerusalem: Frg gbjneqf gur raq bs gur jne. N fdhnq bs fbyqvref vf yherq gb n puhepu va Cngntbavn jurer n zlfgrevbhf jbzna favcre cvpxf bss zbfg bs gurz. Gur gjb fheivibef znxr vg vagb gur puhepu, jurer gur uvynevgl qrfpevorq va zl cerivbhf cbfg rafhrf.
Hoshi no hito: Guerr puvyqera yvivat haqretebhaq va bar bs gur ynfg uvqqra uhzna frggyrzragf farnx bhgfvqr naq fghzoyr hcba na byq zna hapbafpvbhf va gur fabj. Vg'f gur Whaxre. Ur erpbiref naq tvirf gurz n cynargnevhz fubj, gura qvrf.
Tircis et Aminte: Gjb puvyqera, cbffvoyl gur ynfg uhznaf, yvivat nybar va n ehvarq pvgl bs fbzr fbeg. I've only read a little of this one, so I can't comment further.