gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Closed Thread

Old 2005-07-04, 21:20
rodan

Default English Renai Games

It might be just me, but it seems like the renai genre is starting to get some more English interest.

Things are happening like Hirameki's revival, Galaxy Angel coming out in 2006, and Funimation confirming with an unnamed Japanese licensor that all of the Sakura Taisen games would eventually come to the US (what did FUNimation have to do with Sakura Taisen?).

Then there's also Type Moon's anime being licensed, but Anime licences most of the time do not lead to game licences.

So, any information/comments on English renai development?

And just for chuckles, would you prefer original Japanese audio, English dubs, or a switch option between the two?
Old 2005-07-04, 22:42
Staff

Actually, if you see some of the comments on the Planetarian thread (edit namely gp32's first post on page seven of the thread, you'd see that we don't expect them (that is, Japanese companies) to see much interest in an English market.

I also doubt, that in this period of players of relatively 'active' games such as Grand Theft Auto, that people will actually try the ren'ai genre out, due to the majorly textual nature of the games. Of course, there will always be exceptions. Perhaps Galaxy Angel will be such a test. I personally will try the game out myself.

Oh, and I prefer original Japanese voiceovers, though if the English dub is good, I will try it out. Initially, I will play most anime (and certain video games such as the .hack series and Soul Calibur II) in its subtitled form.
Old 2005-07-05, 00:54
byndhrzn

Ever17 and some other games listed here are coming aswell.
http://www.hirameki-int.com/appc/index.html

Also someone on this forum mentioned Angel Rabbie game (by Kogado) will be localized too.
Old 2005-07-05, 01:28
Irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by byndhrzn
Ever17 and some other games listed here are coming as well.
And if the English trial edition is any indication, its translation will be ... kinda mediocre -_-

Still, Ever17 isn't a bad game at all as far as this genre goes, so there's hope ...
Old 2005-07-05, 04:10

Quote:
For this reason, you will find that the flow of the story will suddenly change, as the Trial Edition contains snippets of the game. So please take a look at the sample and the go out and get your hands on a copy of the real game.
They are truly funny. I mean they say that one might think of it as strange so one should look at it and...the go out! Of course. I will look at it and the go out. Well if they showed me the go out...anyways so what did they want one to do again? Look at the strangeness of this and of the go out and then buying the game. What a direct way to put it. Anyways I hope for them that they at least have somebody looking for such nice typos...it's t3h g0 0u7!
Old 2005-07-05, 04:45
Ex-boss

I have very mixed feelings about Hirameki. On the plus side, they are bringing over some well-regarded products, and they're bringing them over in all-age formats, which will hopefully help to destroy the stereotype of bishoujo games as "hentai". I can only be in favour of that.

But looking at their website, I almost wonder whether they actually have any employees who speak English fluently. If the quality of the prose on their site is representative of the quality of their products, then I can't help but think they're not the team I'd have chosen to localise games in this genre...
Old 2005-07-05, 07:02
Regular

I played through their Ever17 trial, just to see what it would be like. It's obviously been translated (or edited, at least) by someone who speaks fluent English, although it is translated in the past tense and there's also the fact that they romanized someone's name as "You", which confused me for a while... -_-

I'm also wondering where these products will be even sold. Stores specializing in anime? Online? Game stores like EBGames and GameStop?
Old 2005-07-05, 08:02
Obsessive

I've actually suspected whether they haven't Japanese employees at all and don't know well about each title's popularity in Japan. because they are mixing wheat and chaff too much. Their selection criterions are interesting to me.
Old 2005-07-05, 08:48
Obsessive

Send a message via ICQ to Shii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeleth
But looking at their website, I almost wonder whether they actually have any employees who speak English fluently. If the quality of the prose on their site is representative of the quality of their products, then I can't help but think they're not the team I'd have chosen to localise games in this genre...
I have Hourglass of Summer. The translation is just fine, it's the AnimePlay DVD stuff that is the spawn of Satan. I can't wait to buy up their PC games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanatuha
I've actually suspected whether they haven't Japanese employees at all and don't know well about each title's popularity in Japan. because they are mixing wheat and chaff too much. Their selection criterions are interesting to me.
I think they are looking for games that are interesting enough to be English hits, but not so popular in Japan that they're expensive to license. Thus, no Kanon.
Old 2005-07-05, 09:13
kouryuu

I'm glad to see that these games are coming over.

It seems to me that English companies are realizing that there is enough of a following over here for these games to do well enough.

I may be mistaken, but I think the trend started With games like Desgea, Growlanser and other Atlus and NIS America releases. Those were both excellent SRPGs, and alot of theirs have SIM elements. I know the latest I've started playing now, Atelier Iris, has hundreds of events determined by your choices. And many Similar games are coming.

I think our american companies are starting to notice, that game-wise, their most loyal consumer base, isn't interested in GTA or uber-ific CGs, they want a quality story, gameplay, and appreciate the anime/SNES style graphics.

So I say hail any english translations, as long as you keep our option to maintain the original JP voicovers ^_^.

now If only they'd hurry up with Growlanser IV and Eien no Aseria....
Old 2005-07-05, 09:54
Regular

Wow, someone's bringing over Ever17. I'm fairly curious as to how western gamers will respond to that game, since it's fairly different from your usual ren'ai game, what with its pseudo-scientific rambling and lack of sexual content. I'm far from a ren'ai connoiseur though, so there might be more games like that of which I'm unaware of. I personally prefer Never7 and Remember11 to Ever17 (two other games in the infinity series), but most (Japanese) gamers seem to prefer Ever17 anyway. It'd be a shame if they botch the translation up on Ever17, though.
Old 2005-07-05, 10:47
Ex-boss

Hmm, maybe I shouldn't have criticised based only on the website then. I'll have to try the demo.

At any rate, this is definitely a key moment (no pun intended) -- this marks the first time anyone's licensed a game I've played. I hope they can do it justice and get it the sales it deserves. (And if the translation is any good, I hope all the English speakers here will do their duty to support commercial translation!)
Old 2005-07-05, 13:44

The demo text is rather stilted, and there're a few grammatical mistakes. I only hope that the final translation is better.

Quote:
It seems to me that English companies are realizing that there is enough of a following over here for these games to do well enough.

I may be mistaken, but I think the trend started With games like Desgea, Growlanser and other Atlus and NIS America releases. Those were both excellent SRPGs, and alot of theirs have SIM elements. I know the latest I've started playing now, Atelier Iris, has hundreds of events determined by your choices. And many Similar games are coming.
It's hard to say, really. The RPG and SRPG genres were already fairly successful, so Atlus wasn't really exploring new territory (NISA only entered after the success of Disgaea) - they just licensed a bunch of lower profile games.

[I would also argue that Disgaea is SRPG-lite. It strongly emphasizes accessibility and gimmicks over tactical play (after all, the game was aimed at young children rather than serious gamers), thus earning it scorn from many strategy fans. However, I digress]

It'll be far harder for publishers to pitch products as non-interactive as most Japanese adventures (already a small niche in Japan. Mainstream and hardcore gamers don't tend to show the slightest interest). With this genre, I suspect that they're looking at the rising popularity of anime, and that they're hoping to draw in casual players who aren't normally into PC/console games.
Old 2005-07-05, 14:20
Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodan
Funimation confirming with an unnamed Japanese licensor that all of the Sakura Taisen games would eventually come to the US (what did FUNimation have to do with Sakura Taisen?).
WHO TO THE WHAT NOW?? REALLY?? I'd be first in line to pick up Sakura Taisen if it made its way over to these shores; rumor has it that Sega themselves had finished localizing the Dreamcast rerelease of the first game for a US release, but for whatever reason that's as far as it got. I think with the anime having been released here, Sakura Taisen might not be as risky of a venture as some of the other games because fans of the anime could see it and say, "Oh, there's a game? Cool, I'll pick this up..."

------

On Hirameki and their new line of releases, I see that Kid was involved (either as developer or as the one responsible for the PS2 ports) of both Ever17 and Ai Yori Ao Shi. This makes me wonder if there might be a possibility of Cross Channel ~To All People~ (PS2 port by Kid) or any of the Memories Off series making it here as well?

Also worth noting on Hirameki's frontpage is this little blurb:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hirameki webpage
Currently in Japan, “Kimi ga nozomu eien” and “Tukihime” have been made into many anime episodes and we’re sure that anime fans attuned to what is happening are dying to play the game that kicked off the craze these anime have created. Please be on the look out for news from HIRAMEKI, which was created with the objective of meeting the needs of these fans.
It could just be a poorly worded sentence, or my reading too much into it, but...

------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulfang
I'm also wondering where these products will be even sold. Stores specializing in anime? Online? Game stores like EBGames and GameStop?
Haven't seen any of the AnimePlay DVDs or anything in the game chains like Gamestop or EB, but I know Suncoast carries them - the local one here has had a copy of Hourglass of Summer for the longest time that I'm constantly debating picking up.
Old 2005-07-05, 14:55
Obsessive

Send a message via ICQ to Shii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korgath
It'd be a shame if they botch the translation up on Ever17, though.
The translation is just fine, guys.

edit: I mean for their current releases, not the demos.
Closed Thread