gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Closed Thread

Old 2004-04-22, 14:01
Visitor

Send a message via ICQ to Articflame Send a message via AIM to Articflame Send a message via MSN to Articflame Send a message via Yahoo to Articflame
Default Estimated Time of Arrival

Any estimates as to when the kannon patch will be out? I could tell u been very busy lately, but I am sure we all would like to know the status of the patch.
Old 2004-04-22, 15:10
Ex-boss

Impossible to say, I'm afraid. It depends on a number of things, not all of which are under my control. If I run into many more difficulties with the installer, things might still slip very badly.

I've already told various people "end of April", and I'm trying to stick to that if possible, but I hope people will understand why I don't want to make any promises. ^^;
Old 2004-04-26, 04:50
Local

It seems that the translation project become more and more difficult the farther you go. Just out of curiosity, is it because of the technical problems with the game (like crc checksum errors or other incompatibilities) or is it in the packaging of the newly translated stuff for the installer?
Old 2004-04-26, 06:20
Ex-boss

It's the packaging.

Basically, the installer has to detect and handle whatever version of the game the user has installed - that includes whether they've installed a previous version of my translation, any of the various voice patches, avgcensor, or either of Key's official upgrade patches for the all-age version.

It turns out that it's possible to reduce this to a mere twelve variations on the main patch, although things are rather more complicated where saved game conversions are concerned; for saved games I'm having to take the line that anyone who does weird stuff can expect to have to start over, because life's too short to handle every possible contingency...

Anyway, it has to be able to do all this reliably not only on any version of Windows that runs Kanon, but preferably also on Linux and MacOS X.

Which is why it might end up taking a little longer, although I'm still hoping it won't. ;)
Old 2004-04-26, 20:48
Blackavar

Just out of curiosity (and a burning desire to figure out what happens next *coughcough*), have you thought about having the script available before the patch, much like how the Air scripts were up before the translation patches (as I recall)?
Old 2004-04-27, 21:01
Obsessive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeleth
although things are rather more complicated where saved game conversions are concerned; for saved games I'm having to take the line that anyone who does weird stuff can expect to have to start over, because life's too short to handle every possible contingency...
considering that I am one of those that take weird options, that make's a bit worried.

Any way, it is not very clear to me what is the problem your having with the save file. But how about letting the patch make a backup copy of the SAVE.INI then tell the user that if s/he start the game after patching, and does NOT find his/her saved games, then s/he should just rename the old SAVE.INI. (whoever can download the patch, extract it and install it, should be abel to rename a file.... I hope).
Old 2004-05-01, 09:16
Ex-boss

Okay, looks like the "end of April" date has been missed... ]誠に申し訳御座いません!

Please be patient a little longer. I swear here and now that even once my copy of Clannad arrives, I won't play it for more than an hour a day until I've released the next Kanon patch.
Old 2004-05-03, 13:20
Visitor

Send a message via ICQ to Articflame Send a message via AIM to Articflame Send a message via MSN to Articflame Send a message via Yahoo to Articflame

Can we make the new release date Memorial day?
Old 2004-05-03, 14:23
Ex-boss

When's that?
Old 2004-05-03, 14:30
K

How about we forget release dates and just have the patch released as soon as possible? Release dates just put pressure on Haeleth and disappoint people when they're missed.
Old 2004-05-03, 20:59
Obsessive

the whole project is for fun so why bother with release dates??!!!

any way, Haeleth did you get your copy of Clannad yet?? it should have arrived by now... so what can you tell us about it... (espicaly CG wise).

have fun... and don't worry about dead lines.... I never worry about dead line... and that does get me into hot water once in a while :-)
Old 2004-05-03, 22:00
Local

Send a message via AIM to RyokoTenchi

and the possible April release date has come and gone. not complaining or anything just stating the obvious. it is what i do best. i think it is almost a year now since the last release. we should have a party or something to commemorate it. hehe. and yes tell us About Clannad. the reddish/brown haired girl is cute ^^

Kevin: Quick Marty! We've got to get you back to the future!
Scott: Dammit Kevin stop making fun of my DeLeorean!!
Old 2004-05-04, 12:18
K

Clannad character page, translated by Haeleth (thanks again):
http://haeleth.net/temp/clannad_chars.html
Old 2004-05-06, 06:18
Ex-boss

Whoa, tomorrow's the anniversary of the last version of the patch. I can't believe it's been a year already!

So here's a progress report: most of the technical issues have been solved (in theory, I haven't tested anything yet). I'm not going to be getting the next patch out this week, but it really won't be much longer now, honest. Your patience is appreciated. ^^;

Update update: debugging debugging. I've got the PACLIB archive patcher working properly at last. If you want to know who to blame for the delays, it's the author of libbzip2, for the most inadequate and in places plain wrong documentation I've ever seen in a popular library. Here's a hint, Mr Seward: if people have to dig into your source code to figure out what an error value really means, there's something wrong. Grrr.
Old 2004-05-06, 10:40
AnimeOtakuSama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeleth
Whoa, tomorrow's the anniversary of the last version of the patch. I can't believe it's been a year already!

So here's a progress report: most of the technical issues have been solved (in theory, I haven't tested anything yet). I'm not going to be getting the next patch out this week, but it really won't be much longer now, honest. Your patience is appreciated. ^^;
Take all the time you need, im sure there are people that want this patch out also, but as they say "Haste makes Waste". Release the patch only when you feel its good and ready, some people just dont understand the pain of taking on such a huge task, solo too!!!! O_O

Ganbatte!! ^_^
Closed Thread