gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2006-12-01, 18:00
Local

Send a message via AIM to tea panda

Aw crap. I guess we all know what's coming next episode. Lhhvpuv'f tbg gur ont, fb V'z cerggl qnza fher gur irvy fprar vf tbvat gb or gurer. Bu, ubj zl urneg npurf.

Amano in KyoAni's version wins super hard. Not to mention Maaya Sakomoto's seiyuu work is freaking outstanding, as usual. I love the depth in her lines and how she conveys emotions-- she hits the mark more than the other characters so far, maybe with the exception of Yuuichi. Speaking of Yuuichi, Sugita's actually doing a lot better than I thought he would. I still think "Kyon" sometimes when I hear him, and his voice is still pretty one-dimensional in terms of being easily recognized, but he's done a good job so far.

I'm glad that KyoAni cut out the cameos by the other characters for a while, though I wonder if they're going to do it like Toei, where they solve each girl's story completely and move on, leaving them in the background. I don't think it's wrong to do so (it's much more focused that way), but I think some people may not like that. Plus, we have, what, maybe 5 more girls routes to go through, if we include Sayuri?
Old 2006-12-02, 04:14
Regular

I shall start taking a different approach on my thoughts for each episode from now on.

I don't really see where the drops in quality are, but then again I've only gone through it once, so if anyone would care to point it out to me, please do. Storyline-wise...this episode is just about as different from the previous 8 episodes, as night is from day. If anything, I think of Episode 9 to be the true turning point of Kanon; knowing that there are plenty of sceptics out there who are watching Kanon for the sake of bashing it, I will now endeavour to state that if this episode doesn't make them change their minds about Kanon, then nothing ever will, and they should give it up and stop torturing us with their cynical words.

First off, I am a 20 year old male...and by the time of the Yuuichi-Amano bridge scene, I was already fighting hard to keep the tears from flooding. It is...just that powerful. Overall, all the scenes of Makoto's increasing degeneration was done wonderfully, and the more she declines, the harder is the emotional impact on me. Of course, the fact that I'm currently watching the Japanese drama serial <<One Liter of Tears>> only makes me all the more receptive to the slow, wrenching tragedy unfolding for Makoto, but fact remains is that this is the defining moment, for me. This is what Kanon is truly about.

Now that I'm done being all mushy, I'll focus on the one thing that I find lacking in this episode; once again, no Ayu or Shiori, and no Mai this time around, either. Actually, I think it's fine that Mai is not there; she'll just be stealing what's left of Mishio's role if she appeared anyway, and I don't particularly mind Shiori being absent either; she has totally no bearing on the Makoto arc as well, so her presence would merely be wasting time. However, it's the absence of Ayu I feel keenly the most; why, you ask me? Simply because Ayu had the chance to interact with Makoto back in Episode 4.

Now, I realize that more likely than not, their chance meeting is a purely KyoAni addition; it probably never happened in the game, and so by right, Ayu should not have that much of an impact on the Makoto arc either. However, from the way I see it, this part of Makoto's arc was a fantastic opportunity to do some fleshing out of Ayu's character on the side, but one that KyoAni failed to take advantage of in this episode. The way I see it, those two had actually drummed up a nice level of rapport in Episode 4, but KyoAni failed to build onto it further by having Ayu come in, and perhaps even assist Yuuichi in taking care of the ailing Makoto. If she had done so, it would have been a shining opportunity to showcase a more mature, more caring side of Ayu, and thus leave first-time viewers with another, and hopefully better impression of Ayu's character than the immature little girl the sceptics (not unreasonably, to be honest, at least as far as this series has run so far) think of her to be.

The other thing I might want to gripe about is Nayuki. It is not for nothing that some are starting to think that this time, Nayuki hardly looks like being part of the family this time; Yuuichi does most of the work in taking care of the convalescent Makoto, and Nayuki doesn't seem to be doing much in the way of assistance. Granted, it was the same thing in Toei Kanon; however, the one thing about the flawed structure of Toei's rendering of the Makoto arc is that it sometimes serve to cover up some other flaws it might otherwise have. In this case, the Makoto arc in Toei Kanon runs for a grand total of one episode; with such limited time, the rushed pacing makes one forget that Nayuki wasn't there. However, with the slower, somewhat more realistic pacing of KyoAni Kanon, Nayuki's general absence in most of the scenes is all the more jarring. At least the complicated looks she gives Yuuichi is very well done, but otherwise, her lack of doing much of anything makes her look like an outsider, of sorts.

So, with all these, what's my final score? 9 out of 10. Because, despite this episode's flaws, I am not blind to the fact that in the end, this episode achieved what it set out to do; focus on the main storyline of Makoto's decline, and doing it well.
Old 2006-12-02, 09:56
Local

Ouch, it seems like I will cry a bucket next week... Gurl orggre abg sbetrg Nxvxb'f qenzngvp snerjryy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
If anything, I think of Episode 9 to be the true turning point of Kanon; knowing that there are plenty of sceptics out there who are watching Kanon for the sake of bashing it, I will now endeavour to state that if this episode doesn't make them change their minds about Kanon, then nothing ever will, and they should give it up and stop torturing us with their cynical words.
Well, the problem Kanon faces in general is that people regard it as a harem anime at first sight. Their loss for them, I guess.

Quote:
Now that I'm done being all mushy, I'll focus on the one thing that I find lacking in this episode; once again, no Ayu or Shiori, and no Mai this time around, either. Actually, I think it's fine that Mai is not there; she'll just be stealing what's left of Mishio's role if she appeared anyway, and I don't particularly mind Shiori being absent either; she has totally no bearing on the Makoto arc as well, so her presence would merely be wasting time. However, it's the absence of Ayu I feel keenly the most; why, you ask me? Simply because Ayu had the chance to interact with Makoto back in Episode 4.
Nlh yrsg nsgre svaqvat ure qbyy va bgure cngu, fb ol npghny raqvat, fur jvyy abg unir orra gurer. Ohg bar vf gb jbaqre jul Xlbnav qbrf abg vzcebivfr jura gurl qvq rneyl ba.

Quote:
The other thing I might want to gripe about is Nayuki.
Fnqyl, nfvqr sebz gur tebhc cubgb, Anlhxv uneqyl qbrf nalguvat zrzbenoyr rira va gur tnzr.

Now I am afraid if Fuvbev naq Znv jvyy qvr nf jryy.
Old 2006-12-02, 11:48
Local

Well, Nayuki and Akiko in general aren't doing much because it's really Yuuichi's business. From the preview of next episode, it looks like Nayuki will get some more interaction with Makoto, and I'm sure some of the scenes from the game and them interacting as a family are going to show up. I don't see it as a big deal at all that Nayuki doesn't do much here-- she's skeptical to begin with, and it's only because she trusts her mom and Yuuichi that she goes along with anything. She's a good enough sport about it as it is. Keep in mind the entire Makoto situation, as Amano sums up, is going to be really, really hard on people that have to deal with it first hand. Yuuichi is bearing that weight.

Likewise, in the game, I think I recall that when they find out about Makoto, they instantly try and act normal, and Yuuichi appreciates the fact that they don't act out of the ordinary.

I'm personally glad that none of the other girls make cameos, but that's just me. Yuuichi doesn't go to school, and I doubt he even goes out-- so it just sort of makes sense that the others wouldn't know what's going on. Mai obviously does, but I think that's more of a reason why she stays out. I do think the Ayu thing is an interesting point to bring up, and I can concieveably see it happening, but I also sort of think that it doesn't make too much sense development-wise. Ayu isn't part of their family, and her relationship with Makoto is friendship at best. Anything she does or will do takes away from Yuuichi-Makoto screentime, and Yuuichi wants to spend as much time alone with Makoto as possible, and I doubt Makoto particularly cares about anyone else right now.

Animation quality dips are not really that bad, in my opinion; in fact, they hardly matter at all. Um... try the 100 yen scene to sort of notice the difference. It's not really animation per say, but more the character designs and stuff that are just made slightly awkward and their facial lines more simple. Keep an eye on Yuuichi in that scene, and contrast it with his design for the rest of the show-- you'll certainly notice a difference, albeit subtle. But there really weren't a whole lot of animation problems, so I don't know why people bitch about it. It didn't affect the impact of the episode at all.

Last edited by tea panda; 2006-12-02 at 11:53.
Old 2006-12-02, 19:36
adun50

Well after a few episodes, you kind of get over the whole animation thing. Unless they do some spectacular or something that goes with the current situation. Right now it's just pure story and how it's presented. Looks like next episode will definitely be a cryfest. Also this week's merch item, a mini Nayuki figurine.

http://www.moemoerabu.net/2006/12/01...nayuki-figure/
Old 2006-12-02, 20:43
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Asura

i hope they have that wedding thing with makoto at the end...

i've been wondering for a while now but... what's with jumbles like "Fuvbev naq Znv jvyy qvr nf jryy." ?
Old 2006-12-02, 20:52
Regular

Asura: It's a code called ROT13. It's there to hide spoilers.

So if you don't want to be spoiled, don't do anything about it. ;)
Old 2006-12-02, 21:17
Addicted

Send a message via AIM to Misu Send a message via MSN to Misu Send a message via Yahoo to Misu

If you want to get rid of the ROT13, just go to http://www.rot13.com/index.php and copy and paste it. It works for also creating ROT13.
Old 2006-12-04, 10:43
Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Ayu Tsukimiya

If you use Firefox, download the add-on "Mnenhy" It can translate ROT 13 (and some other codes) on the fly, without the need to copy and paste it ^^
Old 2006-12-04, 11:55
inuyasha9854

Or leet-key, works well, quick configuration of a key sequence to encode/decode.
Old 2006-12-04, 12:02
kouryuu

Especially since Leet-key has now been updated so that It functions in the new Firefox 2.0 environment finally.
Old 2006-12-08, 18:40
Local

I saw, I heard, I sobbed...

At least to compensate, we get to see chef Ayu's cuisine in next episode.
Old 2006-12-08, 23:14
Local

Send a message via ICQ to Billhead Send a message via Yahoo to Billhead

I didn't sob, I just... had to take my laptop and hide from everyone else.
I don't think I'm going to be able to take that happening four more times.
Old 2006-12-09, 00:07
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Asura

hmm, guess i predicted it right on going onto mai's

anyways, the ending where she comes back... that's way far ahead in the future isn't it? or is the whole story jumping that far ahead.

if that's the case, and mai's arc is coming, znv naq fnlhev jvyy tenqhngr orsber jr ragre fuvbev'f, anlhxv'f naq nlh'f nep?

sounds weird... someone clarify for me
Old 2006-12-09, 22:14
Local

I'm a cruel, heartless bastard, so I didn't cry or anything. However, Episode 10 was brilliantly done, and stayed so close to the script that the fanboy in me rejoiced like no other. I loved Yuuichi doing that final line from the game: I remember reading it for the first time while playing it, and got a lump in my throat, so it was a joy to see it again in anime form. Really bittersweet.

Sugita did a great job with portraying emotion here too. Major props to him for this episode.

The wedding scene was animated beautifully. KyoAni's attention to detail is stunning, and here I was thinking their snow was mind-blowing. The grass moving in the wind was freaking amazing.

I'm not much of an Ayu fanboy, so I'm not particularly looking forward to seeing her again (and it's becoming more and more obvious to me she's probably going to be the girl... again). I had doubts about the pacing before, but now that I think about it, I think they can pull it off as long as they run a few of the character's stories alongside each other, which it seems they will.