gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Closed Thread

Old 2006-06-30, 11:36
Irregular

You mean that NNL didn't announce their test month plans. We at insani weren't informed about this until they made that post.
Old 2006-06-30, 12:11
Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatoon
the only thing you missed is the fact, that NNL/Insani did not announce this 'testmonth' ^^
Ah. Thank you. I believe that information slipped past this creaky mind. Heh heh. ^^
Old 2006-06-30, 15:45
Sardek

Quote:
Originally Posted by byndhrzn
c) NNL starts their own company, buys licence from Minori, releases game domestically
Option one would need lots of money for a start, and a possible chance of having debt later on. Risky, and very involving I guess.
Having looked into licensing costs, I think it wouldn't in fact cost a whole lot of money. Licensing tends to be a not-that-bad flat cast plus a % royalty deal. If you actually desired to start a real company off a well-known translation circle, it would be quite possible to get a government grant to start up the business(that is to say, grab a few licenses), then go from there. Not only are government grants free and never repaid, but they're not all that difficult to get. Perhaps an interesting thing to look into. Wouldn't it be something if we had a translation group actually form into the company we want to form based on seeing the market the groups created? It'd certainly bypass the legality issues, as well as perhaps quell a bit of the piracy issues. Granted, piracy would still exist, but would it be as widespread now that there is a very legitimate way to get it in their own language 100% legally?

EDIT: You know, it just occured to me that haeleth is british and I have no idea where seung park or the NNL guys live, so the gov't grant thing may not apply. I just know how it works here in the states. Sorry :[
Old 2006-06-30, 18:50
Regular

Send a message via MSN to Toxic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakman
As per Japanese law, all characters in erogames must be over 18.
Is that so?
What about "Sagara Family"? That one had a rather young girl. You never get to know her age, but I'd guess she's around 10-12.
Old 2006-06-30, 19:30
Regular

I think this might be fitting, somehow :

http://www.davidbowieisverydisappointedinyou.com/
Old 2006-06-30, 21:01
Obsessive

Send a message via MSN to Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakman
As per Japanese law, all characters in erogames must be over 18.
Is that so?
What about "Sagara Family"? That one had a rather young girl. You never get to know her age, but I'd guess she's around 10-12.
The rules of ロリ萌え are rather explicit that you don't ask about their age.
Old 2006-07-01, 02:34
Meow

After all, lots of 10 year olds are over 18. :)
Old 2006-07-01, 03:10
STaNLI

> Wouldn't it be something if we had a translation group actually form into the
> company we want to form based on seeing the market the groups created?

From my perspective, I approve of this approach immensely. But what do the translators think?

(That took an hour of editing ._.;; I dread to think what I'd be like should I get into the language side of VNs...)
Old 2006-07-01, 03:29
skatoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp32
You mean that NNL didn't announce their test month plans. We at insani weren't informed about this until they made that post.
hey now that is a great information-network between the two teams ;)

ok, since i can't edit out the NNL/Insani from my guestposts.... i correct them to 'NNL' with this post...

(the one thing that leaves me curious is the question wether this 'testmonth' is something they thought of afterwards to cool down the argument or not....)
Old 2006-07-01, 04:30
Ex-boss

I'm fairly sure licensing costs are worse, not better, than one might think. I'm sure I've seen quotes from Hirameki folk saying that the reason most of their games are not big-name ones is that they simply can't afford what the likes of Key are asking.

To tackle a big-name game, an AIR or a Fate, you'd need private funding. And somehow I don't think many VCs are going to be interested in pouring their money down the drain of a genre with such a small paying audience...
Old 2006-07-01, 04:59
Obsessive

Send a message via MSN to Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeleth
I'm fairly sure licensing costs are worse, not better, than one might think. I'm sure I've seen quotes from Hirameki folk saying that the reason most of their games are not big-name ones is that they simply can't afford what the likes of Key are asking.
I've heard figures in the $XXX,XXX range knocked about for Key games. That's a hell of a lot of sales.
Old 2006-07-01, 11:14

Quote:
the one thing that leaves me curious is the question wether this 'testmonth' is something they thought of afterwards to cool down the argument or not....
I doubt it. The impression I get is that the initial alpha test was so unsuccessful that NNL didn't want to announce the last release as a beta. By portraying the patch as a finished product and by screening the users (through a lengthy, stringent test, as well as the requirement to destroy material) for a month, NNL could potentially attract enough players who would also be dedicated enough to observe the work closely and report bugs.

Previous postings (by Visualnews?) implied that IRC distribution would be temporary, so it did seem to me that they had future plans for the patch.
Old 2006-07-01, 13:58
Benoit

Quote:
Granted, piracy would still exist, but would it be as widespread now that there is a very legitimate way to get it in their own language 100% legally?
Absolutely. Just look at the current English bishoujo game market. Not enough sales, piracy aplenty.
Old 2006-07-01, 19:00

Really? The only locally commercialized visual novel I've seen on any tracker was Phantom of Inferno, floating around with maybe six people connected.

I don't doubt the low sales, though. Even my self-proclaimed "otaku" friends give me weird looks when I mention VNs...kinda depressing.

(P.S. - Then again, I just glanced around for Hirameki products. No idea how all that Peach Princess stuff is doing.)
Old 2006-07-01, 19:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRMoogle
Really? The only locally commercialized visual novel I've seen on any tracker was Phantom of Inferno, floating around with maybe six people connected.

I don't doubt the low sales, though. Even my self-proclaimed "otaku" friends give me weird looks when I mention VNs...kinda depressing.

(P.S. - Then again, I just glanced around for Hirameki products. No idea how all that Peach Princess stuff is doing.)

hmm phantom inferno on a certain DA torrent site... I'll have try to take care of that. Christ the game is only 26 bucks and they are currently doing a buy one get one free.
Closed Thread