gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > Production & Help

Production & Help For discussions regarding production aspects, especially localisation, of visual novels and related games.

Old 2008-02-25, 07:57
Visitor

Default Recruiting Programmer: Fortune Arterial (Demo Release)

Fortune Arterial by August

It's one month after Fortune Arterial was released! Our project is progressing smoothly, we have four translators working and a full seven days (20,000 words) translated and edited. We're requesting a programmer that can take our lovingly crafted text and put them back into the game, as well as either create a patch to install those new data files, or (preferably) just release the whole thing as a standalone executable via bittorrent.

Our goal for right now is to finish translating the next six days to complete the demo, and release that to drum up interest and more staff. There's no real deadline, but sooner is always better.

Here's a link to our project page.

And a link to a mirror for the demo itself.

My email is tremalkinger at gmail. Send me an email to apply!

よろしくお願いします~!
Old 2008-02-25, 14:57
Unregistered

"or (preferably) just release the whole thing as a standalone executable via bittorrent."

In before shitstorm. Unless you are only going to release a translation for the demo, and not the full game. If so, in before shitstorm again, but not from here.
I remember passing over this scratchpad wiki the day you put it up. Nice to see things are coming along smoothly.
Old 2008-02-25, 16:47
Posts way too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
In before shitstorm. Unless you are only going to release a translation for the demo, and not the full game. If so, in before shitstorm again, but not from here.
I remember passing over this scratchpad wiki the day you put it up. Nice to see things are coming along smoothly.
No shitstorm. The thread starter is talking about a demo translation.

EDIT: Oh, silly me, you already mentioned that. =p
Old 2008-02-25, 22:00
Regular

It's probably not a useful comment in this case, but just in general for future projects it's always good to involve the programmer at the very beginning, to do the script extraction in a way in which it will be easy/possible to reinsert automatically later on.

Otherwise you sometimes end up with needing to copy-paste a few thousand lines one at a time to match everything back up again, instead of just having your translators effectively edit everything in-place.
Old 2008-02-25, 23:10
Unregistered

Quote:
"or (preferably) just release the whole thing as a standalone executable via bittorrent."

Yes, its just a publicly available demo we're releasing.
Old 2008-02-26, 00:33
Posts way too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoEd View Post
It's probably not a useful comment in this case, but just in general for future projects it's always good to involve the programmer at the very beginning, to do the script extraction in a way in which it will be easy/possible to reinsert automatically later on.

Otherwise you sometimes end up with needing to copy-paste a few thousand lines one at a time to match everything back up again, instead of just having your translators effectively edit everything in-place.
Well, I prefer to get the text replacement working from the very beginning just because it feels good to play the game and see the translated text =p
Old 2008-02-26, 18:45
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asceai View Post
Well, I prefer to get the text replacement working from the very beginning just because it feels good to play the game and see the translated text =p
I would have loved to get a programmer involved from the start, but I made the decision to get a large chunk of work done to show that we're serious and dedicated. I wouldn't expect someone to invest their time in developing tools for us if the project was going to fall apart a few days in.

Hopefully the wealth of material we've translated is enough to convince someone that we're serious and committed, and deserving of the work it takes ^_^
Old 2008-02-26, 18:50
Visitor

Ah, whoops. The two unregistereds above are me.

In any event, from my relatively uninformed position, I think we've got a decent setup. Here's what I'm thinking for a process.

1) Copy and paste the text out of the wiki into a text file.
2) Create a script to parse the file. First delete all lines which start with //
3) Next, delete every other line.
4) On lines which contain a colon, break off the part before the colon and insert the markup that indicates its a name. (might get a few false positives here, but we can fix that)
5) Repackage the data files.

I'm not certain how difficult that all is, especially the last step. I've already seen someone capable of at least reading the files in a plain text format.

I haven't received any emails yet, so the position is very open. We need your help, technical folks, and this world needs more quality VN translations!

~trem
Old 2008-02-27, 14:01
Regular

How did you extract the original text?
Old 2008-02-27, 14:08
Posts way too much

you know, I'm not going to make myself available to become a member of the project. I've got far too much on my plate for that and don't really want to increase the number of communication channels I have to care about. But I _will_ look at this demo from the point of view of replacing text, and may possibly at some stage release some tools for that purpose. No promises at all, though; if an actual programmer who can actually program responds, go with them.
Old 2008-02-27, 18:55
Unregistered

I was the one who extracted the text and sent samples to Tremalkinger. All I used was ExtractData on data01000.arc which gave files named fa* Opened up the files in notepad for kicks and saw that most of the file is gibberish, which I'm assuming at this point is a compiled script. However, near the end of the file there is the game text there. So I guess that the first order of business is to decompile the script for any feasible text insertion to occur. I also looked at the archived used since you would have to reinsert the scripts back into the archive. The archives have a "PackFile" signature at the beginning of the file: 0x5061 0x636B 0x4669 0x6C65. Then followed by what I guess is the index position.

At this point, that's all I know and don't know how to proceed. Also I was offered the programmer position by Tremalkinger but frankly, I know nothing about hacking VN game engines since my university doesn't offer a class on it. :) Also, I don't want to slow down the project while I try to figure stuff out and there's no guarantees that I will figure anything out at all.

Anyways, for those interested, here is the actual script:
http://download.yousendit.com/FE89F75C3FFB4B51

And here is my cleaned up version with only text:
http://download.yousendit.com/FAFE71336FAE1D7E
Old 2008-02-27, 20:56
Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxfan View Post
How did you extract the original text?
Anime Games Text Hooker using Open Office's clipboard monitoring feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asceai View Post
you know, I'm not going to make myself available to become a member of the project. I've got far too much on my plate for that and don't really want to increase the number of communication channels I have to care about. But I _will_ look at this demo from the point of view of replacing text, and may possibly at some stage release some tools for that purpose. No promises at all, though; if an actual programmer who can actually program responds, go with them.
Yay! Thank you. Let me know what you find out. Haven't had any responses beyond this, so any help is appreciated.
Old 2008-02-27, 22:11
Regular

Send a message via MSN to rednaxela

so maybe i'm late?
anyway, anyone interested could take a look at one of my blog posts here:
http://rednaxelafx.javaeye.com/blog/165721

it's a C# program that handles text extraction and insertion. for the extraction part, it works on script files extracted from the original archive by some other tool (use ExtractData in case you don't have this other tool).

i wrote other tools for packing things back into an archive, which was done during the Chinese Yoakemaeyoriruriirona project (already done, patch released).

yeah, well, i was on a project of translating FA's demo into Chinese, and it's almost done now.

-----------------

edited: oh, and almost forgot. half-width characters are not tested, so i dunno what's gonna happen if you pack half-width characters into the game.
there are a few places where you can put the edited resource files(be it script or image files) that the game executable will read before the archives. which means, you don't have to pack things into archive to get the edited stuff show up in the game. the paths are specified in one of the *._bp files in system.arc, i forgot the file name though.
the easiest path to put those edited stuff would be the game's installation directory. put the script files with reinserted text (without file name extensions), and image files edited (in 32bpp BMPs, without file name extensions) along side with BGI.exe, and there you got it.

Last edited by rednaxela; 2008-02-27 at 22:26.
Old 2008-02-27, 22:25
jtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednaxela View Post
so maybe i'm late?
anyway, anyone interested could take a look at one of my blog posts here:
http://rednaxelafx.javaeye.com/blog/165721

it's a C# program that handles text extraction and insertion. for the extraction part, it works on script files extracted from the original archive by some other tool (use ExtractData in case you don't have this other tool).

i wrote other tools for packing things back into an archive, which was done during the Chinese Yoakemaeyoriruriirona project (already done, patch released).

yeah, well, i was on a project of translating FA's demo into Chinese, and it's almost done now.
That is great news. I had originally posted here as to where I was with hacking this game but unfortunately, I was logged out and my post is currently pending moderator approval. There wasn't much progress to tell the truth.
Old 2008-02-28, 16:34
kouryuu

Quote:
I was the one who extracted the text and sent samples to Tremalkinger. All I used was ExtractData on data01000.arc which gave files named fa* Opened up the files in notepad for kicks and saw that most of the file is gibberish, which I'm assuming at this point is a compiled script. However, near the end of the file there is the game text there.
Haha, Oh wow, this is nostalgic. I tried the same, and got the exact same for the Comic Party Scripts when my group was first looking at working on that game a while back. ... And we still never got any further than that. Then again we couldn't get at the images to edit them either which is another reason that project died before starting. Too many of the menus needed a lot of image editing.

Well, if you find a way to get the scripts both out and back in let me know, I'll see if it can work on Comic Party too.