gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2008-06-12, 02:46
Posts way too much

I'd been meaning to look into Scarlett, actually. I used to like nekonekosoft (haven't touched anything by them in the past couple years), and your post has redoubled my interest.
Old 2008-06-12, 03:43
Addicted

Scarlett is definitely worth getting, you wouldn't regret it. Also worth looking into (haven't finished it yet, but what I've played so far is great) is Ramune. Paletweb had it new a few years back for something like $25, which was a total steal. Not sure if they still have it in stock, but as common as the game is I'm sure they could scrounge it up easily enough.
Old 2008-06-12, 05:05
kouryuu

I've been distracted primarly by Seinarukana (By Zuse, "sequel" to Eien no Aseria), as my more recent posts may have reflected. I've pumped in over 72 hours of game time (IE, actually time spent playing the game, window open, and not counting all the time lost be dying and retrying.) And I am only just now halfway through Chapter 6 (out of 12 plus prologue) on my FIRST play through. The first H-scene wasn't until ~50 hours into the game, during Chapter 4. Because the game is so long, and so lacking in erotic content, I've found myself getting further distracted by a few "meh" games on the side. You know, those quick sit down for a couple hours, enjoy an h-scene types.

That said, for all the game may be horribly long, I think its one of the greatest games I've played so far. The game opens with a dream sequence that involves you (Nozomu) watching yourself conversing with an opponent in some ancient forgotten language with its own symbols (This section does have the main character voiced and the comiket book Zuse sold actually has a section on translating them for those interested) fighting him, killing him, one of the girls with you falling to her doom into an endless abyss, and then an account with another girl who pierces you through the chest with her scythe/spear. The prologue continues when you wake from the dream, and it's standard school life, but guy from the dream is your best friend-Zetsu, and the girl who stabbed you is your childhood friend, Nozomi. there's another girl attending school with you, your sempai, who's generally fighting over you with Nozomi. Main scenes of note are bento squabbles and going out with Zetsu to pick up a present for Nozomi, with all the other girls in the accessory store thinking that the two of you are gay. But that's merely the prologue.

Long story short, the schools attack, shit happens, and you find yourself waking up in some other world that exists on another branch of the World Tree, after having been carried there by Nozomi's Divine Beast (神獣), Monobe (A giant flying whale), and the 4 previously mentioned main characters are all revealed to be incarnations of gods, that grants them the power to wield the Divine Swords (神剣) and fight against those trying to destroy the various worlds.

Similar to Utawarerumono, its very much a strategy RPG, and the RPG elements and combat are actually rather well done. The Visual Novel aspect handles the descriptions, the story elements, the comedy, essentially everything but the bare bones fighting. You travel from world to world fighting against the "Light Bringers" (光をもたらすもの). However, I find it hard to say that the Light Bringers are the true enemy you face since I'm currently about to finish them off, and finally chasing after Zetsu after he tries to kill you in the attack on the school.

So for fans of RPGs, the game is really good. For fans of visual novels, the language is very nice, and the story may be a little standard for rpg fair, but the comedy (manzai) that runs constantly between the characters works rather well, and like I said, despite having poured over 72 hours into this monster, it still has me interested. So I recommend it to anyone and everyone.

The premium box also comes with the soundtrack, a collection of the promotional art, and "Eien no Aseria: Daichi no hate". There's also a fandisc for the game coming out in a few months...but I'm more worried about figuring out how to get a hold of the Monobe plush they sold in limited quantities last comiket that I failed to obtain, grrr....

Afternote: While the game is of course made for the male audience and the eroscenes are heterosexual, Chapter 5 centers around a pair of gay robot archers (Or to be precise, Androids with souls), and like I said, they don't bother hiding the yaoi tones between main character and Zetsu (apparently many during the character popularity contest complained at the lack of a BL ending with him.) So I'd say its highly worth checking out regardless of gender. (For those bothered by yaoi, its no worse than one could find in Utaware.)

Last edited by kouryuu; 2008-06-12 at 05:12.
Old 2008-06-12, 07:00
Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSaintLouis View Post
Did I mention that Scarlett also has no childhood friend, no sarcastic-but-otherwise-useless male best friend, and no touching memories from 7/10/xx years ago that have been magically repressed?
There is also a PS2 edition (likely including some fun first edition extras) coming out sometime in September if you want the game without the (small amount of) ero, or if you just like VNs on a console system.
Yes! Then I'll have to get it when the PS2 edition is out.
Old 2008-06-12, 08:02
Addicted

September 25th, it seems. The old NNS website has been the place for updates on the game, but apparently there's a small section for it on the upcoming games part of the Kadokawa Shoten website right now. Hopefully it won't be too long before we get an idea of what sort of first-printing goodies they feel like giving us. :3
Old 2008-06-12, 14:05

Send a message via ICQ to zalas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSaintLouis View Post
For whatever reason (not enough high school?) the game didn't sell terribly well and is rather common here in Japan at this point--I've seen it as low as about 2500 yen for the first edition, with 3500-4000 being about the usual price. You should be able to get it for not too much more through a proxy on Yahoo! Auctions, and Paletweb's got the first edition (which comes with a very catchy soundtrack CD as well as a nice visual guide to all of NNS' games) for $49.99. It's well worth getting, especially if you're looking to go a bit beyond the usual eroge.
I ended up playing Scarlett and it was definitely amusing. However, it really does have plot holes the size of Jupiter, not to mention that all the background images used for airport scenes were a picture of the Saint Paul International Airport. Basically, as long as you treat it like a light-hearted spy adventure, it works out well.
Old 2008-06-12, 14:15
Posts way too much

Out of curiosity, what upcoming visual novels are people looking forward to? To be honest, over the past year or so I haven't been paying attention to that much other than Devil on the G String, and I don't know what I should be eagerly anticipating.

At the moment, I'm basically just looking forward to 5. To a lesser extent, I'm also interested in Little Busters: Ectasy and Rui wa Tomo wo Yobu, but I don't really know much about other things that are coming out.
Old 2008-06-12, 16:18
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asceai View Post
Out of curiosity, what upcoming visual novels are people looking forward to?
Being Japanese-illiterate, there are two translations of already-out games I'm really really looking forward to: Narcissu 2nd side and, to a lesser extent, Quartett.

Quartett looks beyond amazing, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up. As for Narci2, well, how can anyone not be excited?
Old 2008-06-12, 16:27

I've been waiting for a (hopefully good) Baldr Sky...
Old 2008-06-12, 18:42
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas View Post
I ended up playing Scarlett and it was definitely amusing. However, it really does have plot holes the size of Jupiter, not to mention that all the background images used for airport scenes were a picture of the Saint Paul International Airport. Basically, as long as you treat it like a light-hearted spy adventure, it works out well.
Scarlett had good characters, good art, and very good music. Its plot was terrible, as full of holes as you say, plus completely losing focus several times and flailing around into long meaningless side trips; the writers continued to show their complete lack of understanding of politics, finance, science (especially physics), and any culture other than modern Japan; the Multi-Viewpoint system was ultimately pointless; and their attempts to produce tension through parallel scenes or interlocking storylines continually fell flat.

It's hard to believe that the same scenario writers that produced this disaster used all the same tricks and techniques in Reconquista to great success. Really, if you liked any of the later NekoNeko games, I'd say skip Scarlett and go straight to either NatsuMegu/Nagisa No for a light story, or Reconquista for a serious one.

Out of the NekoNeko games I have, Giniro, Mizuiro, Aka, Ramune, and Scarlett, Scarlett was by far the worst one. Cottonsoft is off to a good start, though, with three good games.

Quote:
Out of curiosity, what upcoming visual novels are people looking forward to? To be honest, over the past year or so I haven't been paying attention to that much other than Devil on the G String, and I don't know what I should be eagerly anticipating.
Aside from LB: Ex, I'm keeping an eye on Lump of Sugar's Tayutama, Purple Software's Haruiro Ouse, Pulltop's Te to Te Try On!, and Leaf's Kimi o Yobu, Megido no Oka de (assuming it comes out this year). Oh, Rewrite and the Tsukihime remake are two more I'm waiting for.
Aside from LB:Ex which I've already preordered, I'm not sure which of these I'll actually get, but I have high hopes for all of them.

Quote:
So I'm going to rattle off some games I know very little about, except the fact that they probably don't suck and could be interesting:
(...)
Studio Ryokucha's "Katakoi no Tsuki"
Katakoi no Tsuki is actually pretty good, despite the fact that no one ever seems to mention it.
Studio Ryokucha tricked me once with "Princess Serenade", a game that started out good, had a terrible middle, then dribbled into an ending having squandered all its momentum. Thankfully, though, the creators seem to have learned, and Katakoi no Tsuki has a solid storyline all the way through.
The characters are likeable, understandable and consistant through each storyline. The storylines themselves are interesting and lead up nicely to the final storyline. Only complaint there is that the final epilogue seems to leave some things unresolved.
Artwork varies, mostly good, but occasionally a CG or stand has a character pose that just looks wierd or awkward.
Music, the BGM is unremarkable, but there are four vocal tracks: Three very good, one merely OK.
Overall, I'd say it was well above average quality, but no hidden treasure.

Now, for the games I wonder if anyone else has ever even heard of:
AXL's "Koisuru Otome to Shugo no Tate"
Hermit's "Sekai de Ichiban Dame na Koi"
Clochette's "KamiPani!" (My current game)
Old 2008-06-12, 19:28
Unregistered

Quote:
It's hard to believe that the same scenario writers that produced this disaster used all the same tricks and techniques in Reconquista to great success.
Actually, none of the main writers worked on Reconquista. Scenarists for the latter were probably the guys who did the Scarlett prologue and interludes (maybe someone can correct me on this), as opposed to the four main chapters.

On a related note, it's interesting that Nekoneko Soft and Cotton-Soft are legally the same company, despite the brand/leadership change. Tomo Kataoka may have stepped back from a creative standpoint, but he probably still owns the business.
Old 2008-06-12, 20:10
Obsessive

Yep, Baldr sky, I think I will defninitely buy this one when it comes out. I totally loved baldr bullet and baldr force. Especially baldr force, anyone who hasn't played this game should try it. It's like a perfect mix of good story and good gameplay, not to mention that amazing opening song by kotoko.

Sanarara 4th chapter + scarlett 3rd chapter + cotton-soft games are written/lead by that new guy (I think agi knows his name). He is pretty good as a light nakige writer. But my favourite is still and always will be tomo kataoka san XDDDDDDDD
Old 2008-06-12, 20:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyovermind View Post
Yep, Baldr sky, I think I will defninitely buy this one when it comes out. I totally loved baldr bullet and baldr force. Especially baldr force, anyone who hasn't played this game should try it. It's like a perfect mix of good story and good gameplay, not to mention that amazing opening song by kotoko.
Maybe it was because I played Bullet after Force, but Bullet's storytelling didn't really start out that much to me. Bullet's story felt more like just branching out, but Force had that whole it-all-comes-together-in-the-end thing going for it. Plus it had a nice system where you could check your progress on the completion of the game.
Old 2008-06-12, 20:50
Posts way too much

For me, as far as scenario writers go, it's like:

Loose Boy (devil on g string, syarin)
Goo (blank-note himawari)
Maeda Jun (moon., clannad, a bit of air, kanon, little busters)
Tanaka Romeo / Yamada Hajime (cross channel, kana imouto, kazoku keikaku)
Kataoka Tomo (narcissu, giniro, aka)
Setaguchi Ren'ya (carnival, swan song)
Nasu Kinoko (tsukihime, fate/stay night)

Otherwise, for the most part, I don't really pay attention to the scenario writer for a particular title =p
Old 2008-06-12, 22:24
kouryuu

The only ones on my current anticipation list are the ones already tossed about this forum: Little Busters: Ecstasy (pre-ordered), Type-Moon's two new games, and Rewrite.