gemot encubed  

Go Back   gemot encubed > Gemot > General Discussion

General Discussion Theres a Clannad of AIR-headed Kanon fodder being shot by the Little Busters After Tomoyo on a Planet-arian.

Old 2008-04-21, 06:15
Visitor

Default recommend

k,so first, since i'm new here, call me Deymos, most ppl call me that, i played a few VN, or should i say "i read" anyhow, i wanted to ask ppl to recommend me some VN's, the good one's, preferably something not with a sad ending, those things kill me, just finished planetarian, kinda figured the ending the moment i started it, but it was really good, please don't recommend any eroge's, not that i don't like them, just that i finished those that are translated already, not the fan translated one's tho, the one's being sold, Crescendo and Yume Miru Kusuri really left a strong impression on me, well i should stop rambling on and on, so recommend me something good, preferably with a male lead character.
Old 2008-04-21, 07:07

Ever17. For the love of god, Ever17. There is pretty much no way anyone would be disappoined with it.

You really should take a look at fan-translated ones though, because a lot of the really good ones don't actually have a english release.
Old 2008-04-21, 07:48
Serke

Well... My all-time favorite visual novel is Snatcher by Hideo Kojima and I dare to recommend the game to anyone who's fond of detective/mystery stories. =)
Old 2008-04-21, 13:11
Posts way too much

You didn't specify, but I assume you want English-translated ones?

Well, go play ONE. It is an eroge, and it's fan translated, and it's really fucking good.

Fan translation patch here and you can buy the game here (link NSFW).
Old 2008-04-22, 00:26
Local

Send a message via AIM to tea panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
Ever17. For the love of god, Ever17. There is pretty much no way anyone would be disappointed with it.
WORD.

Also, Insani just recently released True Remembrance, which is absolutely worth your time.
Old 2008-04-22, 03:50
Visitor

thanks to all, i already played One the radiant season, still don't get why he had to dissapear, but it's good that he came back, also i just started true remembrance, seems good. I'l try to find a store to buy Ever17, eroge's are quite rare in my country.
Old 2008-04-22, 04:20
Regular

Talking about games that you can play in English; Ever17 -the out of infinity- is my favourite of all the VN's and alike that I played and if you want a sci-fi thriller with no erotic content thats your best bet.

If you are able to handle a depressing occult story; Tsukihime is my second favourite, but it "might" be a little difficult to get at the moment...

If you decide that you like the linear structure of True Remembrance, definitely check Narcissu and Planetarian ~The Reverie of a Little Planet~.

If you want some romantic drama and/or true love stories (with some erotic content) get Kana: Little Sister, Wind: A Breath of Heart and Snow Sakura. (Beware that the drama can be extreme on some of those games mentioned.)

And for the last, if you like tactical RPG's and strategy games with visual novel style stories; Utawarerumono and Castle Fantasia 2: The Sacred War are my recommendations on that field.

Last edited by EchoMateria; 2008-04-22 at 06:10. Reason: Just noticed that the OP already played some of my recommendations edited those out added others ^^;
Old 2008-04-22, 08:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deymos View Post
I'l try to find a store to buy Ever17, eroge's are quite rare in my country.
Ever17 isn't an eroge, not that it'll be any easier to find.
Old 2008-04-22, 12:21
Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
Ever17 isn't an eroge, not that it'll be any easier to find.
hehe, sorry, meants to say vn, anywho, i already played planetarian, that one really struck me where it hurts, i really can't stand vn's with a sad ending, make's me all emo for an entire week, or more, right now i'm playing True Remembrance, hope it doesnt end badly, also already played SnoSakura, liked it but it's storyline is not as involving as Yume Miru Kusuri, played Flood of Tears too, kinda afraid to play Tsukihime right now, planetarian already made me all emo if i play this one i might start crying, since you said it's depressing, also Kana little sister, man that one really made me cry, at least the ending when Kana died.
Old 2008-04-22, 12:31
Posts way too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoMateria View Post
If you want some romantic drama and/or true love stories (with some erotic content) get Kana: Little Sister, Wind: A Breath of Heart and Snow Sakura. (Beware that the drama can be extreme on some of those games mentioned.)
yukizakura (snow sakura) isn't too bad of a pure-love game. For fans of VNs with strong stories and heavy emotions it's probably a bit unsatisfying (as Wind would be, to a lesser extent).

However, it is pretty long, so you'll no doubt get value out of it. Plus it's been localised by JAST/PP/GC last I heard so it's probably really cheap =p
Old 2008-04-22, 13:45
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deymos View Post
... kinda afraid to play Tsukihime right now, planetarian already made me all emo if i play this one i might start crying, since you said it's depressing...
Nothing wrong with a little crying. :) Thats the whole purpose of a sub-genre of these games. Here is what Wikipedia says in its One ~To the Radiant Season~ entry:

"After One was created, this style of story-telling became one of the standard styles for dating sims. For this reason, it is often said that this game launched the genre commonly referred to in Japan as crying games."

Also when I said that the Tsukihime was depressing, what I mean was beyond a few sad endings that you might get in a game of these kinds. The games theme revolves around the concept of death, the depression in that game is on a whole different level. But the storytelling is something that you won't find easily, its worth every minute playing it.
Old 2008-04-22, 14:32
Regular

I don't get the hype for Ever17. It's not bad by any means, but I don't see what's so special about it, other that it stands out among the officially translated English games. But apparently it's highly regarded in Japan too...
Old 2008-04-22, 14:42
Posts way too much

Ever17 has an exceptional story, but it fails to get into my top 5 list mostly because the characters didn't do it for me, and I really need to like the characters. elf's YU-NO, for example, has the same falling in my eyes (and it's erogamescape's #2 18+ game), despite the stellar story and (at the time) production values.

To be honest, I don't see why it seems to stand above the other Infinity games by so much. I've always thought Remember11, at least, was on a similar level. Maybe people just didn't like the way it was presented.

Last edited by Asceai; 2008-04-22 at 14:47.
Old 2008-04-22, 16:38

Being unable to read Japanese, I have not read Remember11, so that's one thing. However, I loved the characters in Ever17, I really did. I honestly felt they were fantastic.

But really, the biggest reason why I love the game so much is the final route. It really shows how it pushes the boundries of the visual novel medium, incorporating visual novel trends into the plot quite well.

Sbe rknzcyr, va zbfg ivfhny abiryf, lbh ner hanoyr gb frr gur snpr bs gur cebgntbavfg. Guvf vf hfhnyyl hfrq gb uryc lbh 'trg vagb' gur punenpgre. Ohg va Rire17, vg vf hfrq gb uryc gur zlfgrel, ol pbaprnyvat gung snpg gung Gnxrfuv naq Xvq ner abg jub lbh guvax gurl ner, hfvat n fgnaqneq ivfhny abiry gevpx nf n jnl gb xrrc vasbezngvba uvqqra sebz lbh - naq lbh qba'g rira abgvpr.

Gur sbhegu jnyy oernxvat guebhtu Oyvpx Jvaxry jnf nabgure vagrerfgvat guvat, ernyyl fubjvat gur yvax orgjrra n tnzr naq vgf cynlre. Hfvat bhg-bs-tnzr xabjyrqtr gb fbyir vatnzr zlfgrevrf, vasbezngvba gung gur punenpgref fubhyq abg unir npprff gb, vf n pbzzba ryrzrag va cerggl zhpu rirelguvat. Lbh xabj jung obffrf ner pbzvat hc arkg va jungrire ECT lbh znl or cynlvat, sbe rknzcyr. Guvf bhg-bs-tnzr xabjyrqtr vf hfrq frnzyrffyl jvgu gur cybg nf Xvq ernyvfrf ur xajbf guvatf ur fubhyq abg or noyr gb xabj.

For me, Ever17 really pushes the limits of its medium, and really had some of the best writers behind it. I wouldn't hesitate to actually call it a piece of art.
Old 2008-04-22, 18:11
Posts way too much

I'll very happily call Ever17 the best english-translated VN, sure. =P But in general, I think that Ever17, while excellent, doesn't quite cause the same amount of emotional response in me as other VNs like Kazoku Keikaku, Clannad and Syarin no Kuni did. Visual novels that actually evoke emotions that I didn't even know existed, that cause me to think of things (in real life) in a way I haven't thought about them before, and generally occupy my mind for weeks or even months after playing.. those are the VNs that typically come to mind when I name my favourites, and Ever17, amazing as it is, never quite got there for me.

Last edited by Asceai; 2008-04-22 at 18:20.